vw tdi kit car

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
There's only the one model being produced now: the spider with removable roof.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
It would have been a little tricky painting a roof on and making it look removable. I really don't know what I'm doing with the editor... I only used copy/paste, and smudge to get these results.

I would like to see a removable roof in a shape similar to this- it's not impossible. The Porsche Boxter had a beautiful removable hard top that could be put in place with the convertible top down. It went from the windshield all the way down to the body, much like my picture.

Here's an example of the Boxter's removable hard-top. I would guess you could make something like this in any shape. It fit rather nicely and kept the noise down, IIRC.

Last edited:

mark smith

TDI
2000 jetta sedan, 2002 jettta wagon
update

for you guys not on facebook or following the build on ffcars.com i figured it was time for a quick update.

I continue to work on the body fairing in preparation for casting the first mold. Looks like the mold will be done around the end of july and i will be making car number 1 in august for testing. The first 23 cars have been pre sold so i will slowly get these cars to the first guys by december.

The car is looking better than i thought a jetta based car could ever look and I amglad that it is not styled after the ffr gtm so as to avoid any confusion(not that a gtm guy who wants a 200mph car is really looking at jetta kits anyway). In the end we are about a month or two behind my self imposed schedule but we have made the car able to stand on its own style wise. All good here.

talk to you soon.

mark smith
smyth performance inc.

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
Thanks for bumping up this update, I always seem to loose your forum's site...

Really interested in following this, it looks great so far.

trevorc

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon
While looking for information on building a IBEX/CC-Lennson/Race Touareg TDI powered vehicle I came across this thread... WOW Brilliant ! A mini R8 at an affordable price point.

It is something the self built car industry needs, and green/ECO credentials to boot ! I would be interested, it's too bad Transport Canada does not allow the importation of kit cars.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Best of luck ! I look forward to seeing photo's of peoples finished projects !

tc

mark smith

TDI
transport canada

My other company factory five racing has been selling to canada for over a decade. this car...since it ius not a vehicle and is added to anexisting jetta/golf will be able to go to canada without much issue.

mark

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
My other company factory five racing has been selling to canada for over a decade. this car...since it ius not a vehicle and is added to anexisting jetta/golf will be able to go to canada without much issue.

mark
There have been several kits by various manufacturers turned back at the border, I've do your homework first before assuming it can be done.

mark smith

TDI
canada

They can be really tough at the border...15 years of homework on this end though...nothing is for sure...but I will do all I can to make sure my customers inthe north are served well:)

mark smith

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
I can't wait to see the betas build up, I think there are 19-20 beta builders signed up. In the meantime I'll be saving up because even if I can't logically afford to keep one, I could still build one and sell it for probably more than the build cost (or so I hope and delude myself)...If you guys haven't yet, check out the smyth forum section at ffcars.com

I can only imagine what could happen if one happened to put a V10 Touareg TDI in it. That would be the best 'green' (though not really efficient) car of all time.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Recycling Gone Wild: Turn your VW Jetta TDI into a Smyth Performance G3F [w/video]

Recycling Gone Wild: Turn your VW Jetta TDI into a Smyth Performance G3F [w/video]

Reduce-Reuse-Recycle is the tri-directive that could help us become more sustainable as a society. Soon, a kit for the G3F from Smyth Performance – a new venture by Factory Five Racing co-founder Mark Smith – will follow those guidelines, enabling you to convert a previously-enjoyed Volkswagen Jetta into something you can really look forward to driving. The finished product will be lighter, faster and burn less biodiesel than the original vehicle, offering up to 60 miles per gallon and boasting a very naughty top speed of 140 miles per hour. All for about $10,000 and less than 100 hours of labor.

It's a simple recipe. You start by procuring a TDI diesel Jetta four door sedan. Cut away about 800 lbs of metal, reusing a large chunk of the chassis, including the entire safety structure. The engine gets chipped, modded and moved from in front of the driver to behind. Add the body, seats, wheels and all the other included bits from the kit and voila! You now own a recycled VW that increases your joy of driving while reducing the amount of petroleum product you'll need to pump.

Okay, maybe we're making it sound a little easier than it actually is, but Smith is confident there is enough interest to make a go of it with a line of depositors already being formed. Despite deliveries (optimistically) planned for September, the original prototype is still under construction. The operation doesn't have an official website either – that's coming this fall – but you can follow the progress of both car and company on both Facebook and the unofficial Factory Five forum. Hit the jump for video of Mr. Smith explaining his concept and tell us what you think.

---
I wonder if I will see one of these because someone in our club builds one. Something tells me that it would then show up at a Ho5G GTG...

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I wonder if I will see one of these because someone in our club builds one. Something tells me that it would then show up at a Ho5G GTG...
I'm on the Beta list, and I plan on driving mine to every GTG I can get to. Not this year's GTG of course, cause i haven't gotten started yet...

My G3F plans include: installed 1"-2" raise, wavetrac diff, 6-speed 02J, and a load of performance modifications, (not sure what yet but I am tempted to try a custom size/shape piston bowl.)

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
I'd really like to build one, but somehow my desire doesn't quite match up to the costs. Make sure to post your progress on this site, you'll have a lot of avid followers.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'd really like to build one too and had been preserving my Mk4 donor car for this purpose. However, it seems they will be significantly larger than expected. My intent was to build a very fuel efficient ride with unique looks, but I think this G3F will have worse aerodynamics than a stock Mk4. I'm also curious what kinds of final weights we'll see with actual builds. I'll be following with enthusiasm as a bystander and hope I'm wrong. Probably going to sell my Mk4 donor.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I know of 2 folks in the Boston area who are looking at this... I strongly suspect that one will be at a Ho5G GTG a year from now. I was looking at it too, like Nick, looking for a high mpg, light weight, aerodynamic vehicle. The G3F is turning out to be not as light or aerodynamic as the original concept. Original plans were to take 1000lbs off a Jetta, now they are talking of removing 800lbs or less. The clean lines are also being broken up in the name of ease of construction.

dylanispro

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
RWD jetta TDI kit car-Smyth Performance

Check this out: a kit car for the jetta tdi into a mid engine RWD lotus-style car that returns better mileage and better performance all for about $10,000. Interested? i sure am. Check out the link below there is video on the site, as well as forum links to read up on it more.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/29/...-vw-jetta-tdi-into-a-smyth-perform/#continued

Reduce-Reuse-Recycle is the tri-directive that could help us become more sustainable as a society. Soon, a kit for the G3F from Smyth Performance – a new venture by Factory Five Racing co-founder Mark Smith – will follow those guidelines, enabling you to convert a previously-enjoyed Volkswagen Jetta into something you can really look forward to driving. The finished product will be lighter, faster and burn less biodiesel than the original vehicle, offering up to 60 miles per gallon and boasting a very naughty top speed of 140 miles per hour. All for about $10,000 and less than 100 hours of labor.

It's a simple recipe. You start by procuring a TDI diesel Jetta four door sedan. Cut away about 800 lbs of metal, reusing a large chunk of the chassis, including the entire safety structure. The engine gets chipped, modded and moved from in front of the driver to behind. Add the body, seats, wheels and all the other included bits from the kit and voila! You now own a recycled VW that increases your joy of driving while reducing the amount of petroleum product you'll need to pump.

Okay, maybe we're making it sound a little easier than it actually is, but Smith is confident there is enough interest to make a go of it with a line of depositors already being formed. Despite deliveries (optimistically) planned for September, the original prototype is still under construction. The operation doesn't have an official website either – that's coming this fall – but you can follow the progress of both car and company on both Facebook and the unofficial Factory Five forum. Hit the jump for video of Mr. Smith explaining his concept and tell us what you think.

hsus2k

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2003, Silver
I'm trying to follow all these from this thread and thru facebook.
Basically, I understand this kit will work with MKIV 4 Door Jetta or Golf with TDI, 1.8T or VR6 powertrain; which will cost at $10K, and by cutting the upper and rear body, it will reduce the total weight about 800-1000LBS.
The Engine & transmission will be relocated to the rear as Mid-engine configuration, the kit will also kept the front suspension connects to the transmission.
The front end will have another set of suspension, and the new fuel tank, radiator will be at front.

Now, here are few questions I have about this kit:
1) I sort of understand the Radiator will be kept at front end of the car, and just by adding extended radiator hoses will be able to connect to the back to mate the engine.
What about some of us want to keep the A/C? I'm not very good on A/C system for the car, all I know is there is a high (pressure) side and low (pressure) side of the closed system; and the condenser is right behind the radiator cooled by fans.
Will the condenser still be behind the radiator? Will I have to disconnect the system and have poffesional A/C guys to add the length of (metal) pipes & fitting in order to connect everything? And refill the Freon?

2) Will there be welding involve with the rear sub-frame? And the front windsield support frame?
I'm a terrible welder, and also I don't have a trailer or car carrier to move my car back and fourth to a shop. I'd like to build this whole thing by myself, I can trun few wrenches, but I can't weld or paint (do body work) so well.
If it does require welding, I'll need to start practicing with my little cheap MIG welder.

3) Will there a complete (extended) wiring harness to the new engine location? Is the battery still located at front? (I've already moved my battery to the trunk area!)

4) what if some of us already have FMIC- larger Front Mount InterCooler on the car? Are there enough room in the new Engine compartment to fit it?

5) What if some of us already have a Lowered (1"-1.5") Front Spindles and Large aftermarket brakes and Sway-bars? Do we keep all that at front?
Or can we have discount of elimating some of the suspension (other than the new Coil-over shocks, since the new front suspension requires Coil-over rather than Struts)

6) Will the seat rail and shifter be at original spot or moved back?

7) How do you seal the rear area between the driver and the engine compartment? Will there be sheetmetal wall with sound deading materials?

8) Will the Rear-end just consist of Rear sub-frame, engine/Trans./Suspension, and body shell?
Will there be other inner fenders, body panels between the frame and the body shell to protect from weather and enviorment (road trash)?
I don't like to adding weight by picking up stuff by the rear tires. (and left there stuck to the inside of the body shell; plus isn't it better to seal for airflow/aerodynamic- some of the race car have rear diffuser to redirect airflow from the bottom of the car)

9) How will the top be latched to the body? some (2) points to the front windsield frame? and few points to the rear top engine cover? How much does the top (with rear glass) weigh? And can the top be easily handle by the driver (one person)?
Could there be a soft top made in the future? may be a bikini top like on the Jeep? (without the rear window, but some protection from rain?) Just have is latch to the windsield frame and straps to the rear?

10) Is there Prototype build and running? or when will the first running Kit be completed (estimate date)?

Anyway, just curious.
May be I missed some from the reading, but these are some of the questions I had.
Thanks,

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
All of your questions are answered in FB and this 84 page, and growing, thread. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220382
Now, here are few questions I have about this kit:
1) I sort of understand the Radiator will be kept at front end of the car, and just by adding extended radiator hoses will be able to connect to the back to mate the engine.
What about some of us want to keep the A/C? I'm not very good on A/C system for the car, all I know is there is a high (pressure) side and low (pressure) side of the closed system; and the condenser is right behind the radiator cooled by fans.
All stock heating/ A/C will be fully functional. The radiator and AC condenser will stay in the front, new lines provided, so for the A/C you will need somebody to recharge the system.
2) Will there be welding involve with the rear sub-frame? And the front windsield support frame?
Rear frame will be complete, just bolt on, no welding required for this conversion.. just cutting.

3) Will there a complete (extended) wiring harness to the new engine location? Is the battery still located at front? (I've already moved my battery to the trunk area!)
For weight balance, battery will be moved to passenger side rear, I believe somewhere between seat and engine. There will be a wiring extension harness provided with the kit.

4) what if some of us already have FMIC- larger Front Mount InterCooler on the car? Are there enough room in the new Engine compartment to fit it?
It is being designed for either a rear mounted IC or the stock location IC, I don't know about provisions for a FMIC, there has been some talk about one.
5) What if some of us already have a Lowered (1"-1.5") Front Spindles and Large aftermarket brakes and Sway-bars? Do we keep all that at front?
Or can we have discount of elimating some of the suspension (other than the new Coil-over shocks, since the new front suspension requires Coil-over rather than Struts)
The plans are for a totally new front suspension and I don't believe the stock parts will have a place to mount to. There has been talk about discounting if one wants to use their own wheel rather than what Mark is providing. So there is some flexibility.

6) Will the seat rail and shifter be at original spot or moved back?
Plan is to provide new, lower, seats that will bolt to floor. I don't think they will fit the original rails. Shifter stays in the same spot, modifications made to send cables out the back, new cables will also be provided.

7) How do you seal the rear area between the driver and the engine compartment? Will there be sheetmetal wall with sound deading materials?
Don't know yet.
8) Will the Rear-end just consist of Rear sub-frame, engine/Trans./Suspension, and body shell?
Will there be other inner fenders, body panels between the frame and the body shell to protect from weather and enviorment (road trash)?
I don't like to adding weight by picking up stuff by the rear tires. (and left there stuck to the inside of the body shell; plus isn't it better to seal for airflow/aerodynamic- some of the race car have rear diffuser to redirect airflow from the bottom of the car)
Still being worked out.

9) How will the top be latched to the body? some (2) points to the front windsield frame? and few points to the rear top engine cover? How much does the top (with rear glass) weigh? And can the top be easily handle by the driver (one person)?
Could there be a soft top made in the future? may be a bikini top like on the Jeep? (without the rear window, but some protection from rain?) Just have is latch to the windsield frame and straps to the rear?
10) Is there Prototype build and running? or when will the first running Kit be completed (estimate date)?
Prototype is still in the design/construction phase. Which is why not all your questions can be answered at this time. Beta builders will get their kits sometime this fall, production kits should be available soon after the first of the year.

Anyway, just curious.
May be I missed some from the reading, but these are some of the questions I had.
Thanks,

hsus2k

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2003, Silver
Wow! Thanks Jim. That really answered all my questions.
Somehow, I must had missed all that?

I'm so glad there isn't any welding I'll have to get involved.
Since I've already done the complete Front and Rear Suspension Mod, Taller gear mod,VR6 Clutch/Flywheel Mod.....and more wrench turning simple projects.
This kit begining to look a lot easier (even for someone like me) to build.
I'm so excited now! Can't wait to see the running prototype.

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Will you be driving up to NH to show the crowd at the Ho5G??? :):D;):cool:

It would be a good way of checking the mileage. Say next spring?

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Cool looking kit car, but Id rather have the '70 TransAm thats in the background.

Will the tdi fit in a Fiero?

I know a '90 Cadillac 4.9 aluminum block V-8 will fit, and wow, what fun!

Be very cool to have a nice sports car that got 55 mpg.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Complete kit now to all first 50 builds

Mark has announced that all people who commit within the first 50 will get an all inclusive kit. It includes all adj. suspension and brake components, fuel cell, wheels and tires. An additional 3K of parts included in the original 10 K price.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Just a thought...what about adding low drag air scoops to the sides and using a dual intercooler setup or a ducted set-up back to the engine compartment and through existing IC

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
First pic

For those who are interested, here is a picture of the nose getting it's rough gel coat in prep for becoming the mold. Shamelessly stolen from the Facebook page.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Another picture--- getting closer

Here is a new picture, with nose on the chassis to give a better idea on final lines.