vw tdi kit car

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Mark,
What be cool if you can use the newer version of the jetta dash, that has the built in mpg information that is displayed, I think that is an 04 and up? Nothing like a racecar styled daily driver that can display its efficiency.

Also, have you considered using the euro 6 speed trans? Getting the 02M in my jetta right now (DRW code), that would increase mileage a good amount!

I have been thinking about a project like this lately and glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Mark

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
midairmark said:
Mark,
What be cool if you can use the newer version of the jetta dash, that has the built in mpg information that is displayed, I think that is an 04 and up? Nothing like a racecar styled daily driver that can display its efficiency.

Also, have you considered using the euro 6 speed trans? Getting the 02M in my jetta right now (DRW code), that would increase mileage a good amount!

I have been thinking about a project like this lately and glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Mark
The MK4 dashes have a place for this, I don't know where the thread is but somewhere on here is a DIY to install exactly this.

Scott Dewitt has been working on adding 6-speeds to existing 5-speed transmissions. They are lighter too. I think he is hung up on something right now... but I'll bet he figures something out sooner or later.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
You could also just upgrade 5th gear to the 0.638 and increase tire size +1 for much cheaper and get most of the benefit of a 6 speed. That'd be my route.

manual_tranny

TDI
nicklockard said:
You could also just upgrade 5th gear to the 0.638 and increase tire size +1 for much cheaper and get most of the benefit of a 6 speed. That'd be my route.
Good point man... the car is going to weigh so little and have so much torque (I'm planning on having one of these with at least 400ft/lbs) that I think it won't matter much if it is a 5-speed with a taller ratio. If we could source a different final drive, it would theoretically be faster than bigger tires. Higher or lower unsprung weight may be noticable in such a small, lightweight car.

@Mark- I have read a lot about the car but I haven't yet found:

Where is the radiator? Where does the intercooler piping run? (I think I read about FMIC..) How is the gear linkage connected? How hard will it to be to access the timing belt? Pull the engine? Change the oil? Retain cruise control? Is your build using an Audi TT steering column for faster steering? Where do the power steering hoses run? Is there room for VWMikeL's rotationally fired mercedes-compatable exhaust flange?

Forgive me if any of this has been asked before, I am doing my best to catch up... I wish I had seen this the moment it started!!!

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Most of your questions are on the Twitter page, hard as it is to get through.

AFAIK the radiator and IC are in the front, the spare for now is there as well. Everything will go through the tunnel with a heat shield to separate them. Gear linkage will be by cable. The engine/subframe will bolt in, I believe Mark said with about 20 bolts. With the roof on access to dipstick and filler would be inside the cab. I think that's what he has posted.

It seems the cruise control would still work but I think I want mine without power steering.

PM me with your email if you want the pics. I have about 60 now.

manual_tranny

TDI
Power_Not_Speed said:
Most of your questions are on the Twitter page, hard as it is to get through.

AFAIK the radiator and IC are in the front, the spare for now is there as well. Everything will go through the tunnel with a heat shield to separate them. Gear linkage will be by cable. The engine/subframe will bolt in, I believe Mark said with about 20 bolts. With the roof on access to dipstick and filler would be inside the cab. I think that's what he has posted.

It seems the cruise control would still work but I think I want mine without power steering.

PM me with your email if you want the pics. I have about 60 now.
YES!!!! What was I thinking? -1000lbs, engine in rear, no power steering!! I want it even more, I didn't think that was possible. PM on the way, thanks! and... twitter... I guess I will have to join. I really thought I could avoid it somehow.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
manual_tranny said:
YES!!!! What was I thinking? -1000lbs, engine in rear, no power steering!! I want it even more, I didn't think that was possible. PM on the way, thanks! and... twitter... I guess I will have to join. I really thought I could avoid it somehow.
You don't need to join Twitter to see his stuff, he also has moved the majority of his updates and pictures to Facebook.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Yup. The Facebook page is great. I am a fan. I like it because it views well on my iPhone and on a desktop too. Lots of good build pics there.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
nicklockard said:
If all you seek is a lower cruise RPM then yes, however, the 6 speeds I'm working on will incorporate taller 1st and 2nd gears which would be the cats ass for better acceleration in a lighter car. Also in the works are stronger 3-4 gears meaning they can hold quite a bit more power. The holdup is the sourcing of parts.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Not sure how I've managed to miss this thread until now, but it's a great read. Like most here, I've thought about TDI power in a sports car (Cobra? That'd be fun) but these guys have the experience and cred to pull it off if anybody can. I helped a buddy in MA build his FFR Mk3 about five years ago, and based on that experience I'd take a shot at building a MM kit if/when it's ready. Green and fast, indeed.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I'd imagined a TDI-powered sports car kit being very similar to FFR's approach where the engine/trans bolts into a custom frame and the unstressed body sits on top. I'm curious to see how this approach works, and how duplicatable the results are.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Structurally, how are you going to tie the b-pillar into the a-pillar? Or are you planning on reinforcing the floor and tying the b-pillar into this reinforcement?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Wow. Progressing fast. If you're not a Facebook member consider joining just to see the pics of progress. Mark's really booking.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
nicklockard said:
Wow. Progressing fast. If you're not a Facebook member consider joining just to see the pics of progress. Mark's really booking.
You can see the pictures and read the discussions without becoming a Facebook member.. you just can't leave comments.

mark smith

TDI
2000 jetta sedan, 2002 jettta wagon
last design changes

Have not posted for a while but figured I would update on the last of the design changes on the kit before I go to the final bodywork and mold making.

Went with the removable hard top design, celica aftermarket headlights, realtively simple but short rear overhang with tail lights from a cobalt. the pics are on facebook under "smyth performance"

mark

manual_tranny

TDI
ymz said:
Interesting thread...

Much more my speed is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc

Good luck with the project!!

Yuri
I love Red Green! What is so shocking is that they actually seem to get that ridiculous contraption to move at the end of the episode!

Here's a comparison of the frontal area between the Smyth car and the Jetta:

Thoughts? I got as close as I could...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Michael, now it's evident and you can see that the shoulders are significantly wider. There's also more material at the side of the valence and the valence is larger below as well. That makes up for the reduced area at top of windshield. I think my 1.464% reduction calculated is pretty close. (neglects mirrors).

manual_tranny

TDI
I think this is evidence of cosine error as you proposed on Facebook. I have to point out that if you take the area where the fenders of the Smyth car stick out, it doesn't begin to cover the area remaining on the Jetta windshield.

Part of this is because the Neon window has a steeper angle- the top of the window is farther from the camera than the Jetta's. As Mark said both cars are exactly the same width... I think it's just a problem with the distance and/or angle of the camera.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
Thanks for the spelling correction, it didn't look right to me and the spelling editor didn't catch it because it was another word. I wasn't paying much attention so I let it go.

manual_tranny

TDI
I did a bit of work with Gimp 2, (free Photoshop-like program) to turn a recent picture of Mark's "Smyth" car into two "preview" versions. I don't know what I'm doing with photo editors, but it came out better than I expected... Enjoy!