Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Here is may take on the modified DPF.
If the thing had not cracked and cost so much to replace it would still be on the car!
VW can have the parts removed along with the rest of the car.
The Buzzken exhaust pipe I want back for my other TDI I would keep.
I am keeping the 2 Micro setup as well.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
This made my day to see the initial leaks of the settlement. I have a had a couple crappy weeks and major changes in my life. 1 1/2 week ago my wife said that she is leaving me, then I look through cell phone records and found she has been cheating on me "for some time". I guess all those late nights at work she hasn't been working. I did some initial evaluations of our assets and to rub salt in my wounds, it appeared that I was going to have also pay her to keep her TDI because it was under water partially because of dieselgate and resulting poor resale value. A $5K + fix or buyout plus some additional amount will resolve my underwater issue and may even put some money in my pocket. A resolution should also help book value as well. Its not my problem anymore.
That *****. Hang in there.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I'll be, that's a freakin joke. They should buy back the cars.I don't give a sh!? what people think of me. That is ridiculous. I never wanted a cash settlement. I wanted them to buy the car back.
But buy-back at what price? Some of y'all want to get out of the car so bad you'll take anything. I will want something more than fair for the annoyance. A mediocre buy-back vs. $5000+hack fix on a non-SCR vehicle doesn't make me too comfortable. However, if it's a "generous" buy-back, and VW can fix at their leisure and re-sell, then that might be my preference.

I think it should be combined with an incentive to buy another VW, because at least VW could retain some customers. I realize that the EPA/CARB has no interest in that, just VW, but I see no reason to not give people an option to make it easy to get into a new car.

Personally, I'd like to shop for an Audi, as an option. With sufficient incentive (as in, discount), I could probably move up to an A3. If VW can't keep people in the brand, I don't know what to say.

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I don't see why a buyback would be an issue whether the car was stock or not. I doubt the dealership is barely even going to look at the car if they do a buyback. 99% of dealerships wouldn't even notice.
I brought mine to a dealership recently to have an alingment (the only time it sees a dealership) and they didn't even know I had done anything to it until I told the tech. He was like "I thought it seemed quicker and smelled a little different". Then once I told him what was done they all thought it was cool. Then the salesman tried to get me to trade it in lol

What is a DPF delete??

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
$5,000 sounds nice until you have to pay Federal, State, local, FICA, and Medicare tax on it, at with time you've got $2,700 left...

Then the gov't fines VW and guess who really "wins" in this deal, and who really loses?

The gov't and the lawyers are salivating, the rest of us just driving a car that while nice, isn't worth much.

mjLyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2-Door TDI DSG
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/398cf8b79483423abf48d10f5f9848fd/source-vw-govt-ink-deal-pay-owners-cheating-diesels

""They've agreed on a maximum amount of money, over $1 billion" for compensation, said the person. "How it's allocated and distributed, that remains to be seen."

It means that owners likely won't find out Thursday how their cars will be fixed, nor will they know exactly how much they will get in compensation. With $1 billion to spend, it works out to about $1,700 per car. But some owners of newer models who get just a software fix may receive little. About 325,000 owners of older cars that require more extensive repairs likely will get more, because the repairs could affect mileage and performance."

Weeeee! Maybe we won't end the speculation today? We'll find out in a few hours. :rolleyes:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
Question is if VW will have the wherewithal to make 600,000 owners feel they've been treated fairly when all the NOX clears.

Tough to define what "fairly" is at this point but we'll know it when we see it.

If I feel that the total costs of my TDI ( or replacement) wind up where expected, I'll be good and a potential future customer

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Agreed, I bet they will not even assess condition either. I think it will be a formula based on book value and mileage.

CONDITION is a hard fact of life regarding value

Typically speaking ........

... the difference between ROUGH and CLEAN condition can be 30% or more

ROUGH = $10,000
CLEAN = $13,000

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I'm going to laugh my a55 off when people charge in to invest in those turds (zero ethical standards) and they get outed for some other stupid $h1t.
They won't be in long enough to see another scandal. Traders are in and out of a stock so fast that they are betting on single new items movement on the stock.

Should just go to Vegas, the odds may actually be better.

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I like how people are assuming those of us in 2015's will get, or deserve 'little' because the fix is supposedly easy.

My 33K MSRP car is now sitting at 21K value because of Vw's hackery and lying. That is NOT normal depreication under any circumstance.

If we owners of 2015's get the shaft on value and compensation, I may indeed lawyer up.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
+2!
The 2 free years also gives us plenty of time to wait and see how the FTC case shakes out.
The gaming industry refers to this as playing with 'house' money.
Not me... I will be selling my cars back ASAP. I am not going to risk driving the vehicles around for 2 years and possibly having a catastrophic loss. VW surely will not buyback a totaled vehicle, and as I mentioned several pages back, the insurance company will pay you current fair market value in the event of a total loss.

Driving the vehicle for two years and selling it back on the date of the deadline is a very risky proposition IMO.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I like how people are assuming those of us in 2015's will get, or deserve 'little' because the fix is supposedly easy.

My 33K MSRP car is now sitting at 21K value because of Vw's hackery and lying. That is NOT normal depreication under any circumstance.

If we owners of 2015's get the shaft on value and compensation, I may indeed lawyer up.
Why is 30% not normal first year depreciation? 2015 MY started nearly 1 year before dieselgate. Sure you may have bought just before it was revealed, but for book values, the car was nearly a year old already at time of purchase. You can already get 2016 used values from KBB, and we're not even 1/3 through the year yet.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Not me... I will be selling my cars back ASAP. I am not going to risk driving the vehicles around for 2 years and possibly having a catastrophic loss. VW surely will not buyback a totaled vehicle, and as I mentioned several pages back, the insurance company will pay you current fair market value in the event of a total loss.

Driving the vehicle for two years and selling it back on the date of the deadline is a very risky proposition IMO.
If there is no condition clause, have the wrecker drop it, or most of the bits, at the dealer.

TTaM

TDI
'15 GSW TDI

Did you pay MSRP? Also, you've put 25K on that vehicle. Use depreciates it as well.

Borsig

TDI
Did you pay MSRP? Also, you've put 25K on that vehicle. Use depreciates it as well.
So? 30% in a year? Please. Its not a BMW 5 or 7.

The car would be worth easily 3-4K more had this not dropped. And it doesnt matter WHAT I paid for the car. I was not stupid enough to pay MSRP.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
Why is 30% not normal first year depreciation? 2015 MY started nearly 1 year before dieselgate. Sure you may have bought just before it was revealed, but for book values, the car was nearly a year old already at time of purchase. You can already get 2016 used values from KBB, and we're not even 1/3 through the year yet.

the 2015 wagon was not released until late spring / early summer.

Average is 19%, slick. not 30.

Last edited:

TTaM

TDI
'15 GSW TDI
So? 30% in a year? Please. Its not a BMW 5 or 7.

The car would be worth easily 3-4K more had this not dropped. And it doesnt matter WHAT I paid for the car. I was not stupid enough to pay MSRP.
Where are you getting your figures from? NADA puts a 2015 GSW TDI SEL with 25K miles @ $25K

Borsig

TDI
Where are you getting your figures from? NADA puts a 2015 GSW TDI SEL with 25K miles @ $25K
KBB. 25K is far, far more reasonable, and inline with with moreof a standard depreciation, given the mileage, even with the scandal looming over the value.

KBB puts the car at 21K at the very top end of private party.

ETA - and Im not looking to sell, per say. Im more concerned about insurance payout value. I share the road for just under 2 hours a day with some real morons. If one of them gets plucky and loses attention while trying to swallow his wawa panini whole, text, and drive at the same time, I dont want to end up underwater or lose money on the back end to VW credit because of extra depreciation.

I financed 25K on the car due to equity I had on my 2010 tdi at trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.