Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

msheidiann

TDI
Jetta
I emailed Hagens Berman on 4/6 asking how we were to determine the pre-scandal value. I was quoted 18900 trade in value for our 2013 base jetta TDi. Um...what? That sounded insanely high, but i'll take it if it's a real value +20%

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
All this talk about $5k, fixes, etc. Where's Feinburg in all this? I thought he was supposed to be the one working on it? I called BS when they hired him as a marketing stunt and unless he's involved or coming out with something, that's what it was. $5k and a fix? There's a lot of details left out and unless you know what the fix is, how could you say you'd take it? I want a buy back myself and I want to go get something else (but that's me).

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
My car has only changed hands on the open market once for $32k. For it to have a market value, it has to have a buyer and seller that agree on the price. Mine is $32k. Add to that the time value of money, let's say indexed to s and p 500 since purchase date and they can buy my car back for $50k+. F'um. $5k plus "fmv" is a joke. I've spent that to keep this thing running since Sept on crap they knew had poor engineering.
Pre-scandal+$5000 is NOT a bad offer (but definitely not generous) for 2010-12, early '13s with high miles.

But NOT good at all for the newer (13.5 - 15s) years.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Volkswagen may also offer to repair polluting diesel vehicles if U.S. regulators approve the fix as workable at a future date, the sources said.
Don't look for VW to get approval to sell new TDIs anytime soon, or at all. 'at a future date' doesn't bode well for the future of TDI in the US as they are currently engineered. CARB doesn't believe they are repairable.

In other words, I wouldn't be hasty to unload your TDI, if you expect to be able to buy a new one. That day may never come.........

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
There are a lot of factors yet to be determined....

If a buyback scenario is what we are looking at, then what will be used to determine value:

1) KBB Private party value?
2) NADA Clean Retail?
3) Edmunds or another source??

Mileage? Condition? Options?

Just looked at the CURRENT KBB "Private party value - Excellent condition" of my 2011 Golf TDI with 99,000 miles and it is right at $9200.00. Seems pretty low.

Lets say Pre-scandal value was $12,000.00. VW would need to offer a bit more than + 20% to get me in the dealer with my keys
Pre-scandal was probably 11k, miles are high for the age.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
47 minutes ago

47 minuets ago

If you were burned by Volkswagen's emissions cheating and don't think that $1,000 in credits and gift cards will cut it, we have good news for you... maybe. Die Welt sources understand that VW has reached a settlement deal with US officials that will have it pay affected diesel car owners $5,000 each to make up for misleading the public on the eco-friendliness of its vehicles. That's on top of what VW will have to pay to fix the cars in question. Provided the automaker gets the deal approved on April 21st (the deadline a court gave to agree on a fix), it'll avoid a trial that could easily have proven more costly.

VW tells us that it isn't commenting on the report at this time, so nothing has been confirmed just yet. If true, though, it'll represent one of the most expensive settlements in recent memory. Even if it covers only the half-million vehicles from the original recall, back-of-the-napkin math suggests that VW could pay $2.5 billion in the US alone. Combine that with complaints elsewhere in the world and the transportation giant is bound to regret ever playing fast and loose with emissions figures.

Via: CNBC

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
I would, too. I wouldn't want one of the 2015/2016's that's been sitting on dealers' lots for 6 months, though. Near me, there are a bunch of new TDIs sitting in a mall parking lot.....dealer overflow parking. Brake rotors all rusted. I would want to wait for one with a fresh build date.
However if those were sold at a considerable discount that might also become atractive:D

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Pre-scandal+$5000 is NOT a bad offer (but definitely not generous) for 2010-12, early '13s with high miles.

But NOT good at all for the newer (13.5 - 15s) years.
No kidding, not even a horizontal trade at that value for a late 14, I'd end up with a lesser car out of that deal, no chance.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015.
If this is accurate and the cash payment is $5000 on top of value of your car pre-scandal, Are you going to take it?

It would be hard not too for me especially if there is no fix in sight and not knowing if that fix is going to hurt efficiency or not.

Other side of it is take the deal, and buy another used TDI from someone.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
If this is accurate and the cash payment is $5000 on top of value of your car pre-scandal, Are you going to take it?
It would be hard not too for me especially if there is no fix in sight and not knowing if that fix is going to hurt efficiency or not.
Other side of it is take the deal, and buy another used TDI from someone.

Probably not, leaves me upside down about 2-4 grand, depending on what the trade in value used is.

visionlinx

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So, where do we look up values from Sept 2015 again? I know the link was here before, but in a 30,000+post thread it is kind of nuts to find it...and don't say Search...you know how many port come up when you do that?

I have a 2013 Passat SEL, I had service done on Sept 10, 2015 so I have a dealership receipt showing 35,850 miles at that time. It was for whatever warranty work I could find on it and get it on record to be fixed.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
If whats leaking is true or even close, i'm quite surprised there isn't more incentive to stick with brand.
I would assume, and this is just a guess, that they can't tie promotions in with the buyback/fix etc. That would have to be done separate from whatever they agree on with the government.

Has anyone looked at VOW shares today? Opened with huge volumes...

I'm calling this "news" pure market manipulation, especially considering on the announcements that will occur tomorrow and more importantly on Friday.

I'm not believing the "news" and will wait till tomorrow.
Since this is a "guesses by me" post I think the shares today have more to do with the looming court date more than any leaks/possible agreements. I'm curious if they had an upswing before last court case or not.

Squalo

TDI
2012 Golf TDI--gone but not forgotten!
I believe you get $5K and you can keep your car or sell it. Kinda like the Goodwill package.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So, where do we look up values from Sept 2015 again? I know the link was here before, but in a 30,000+post thread it is kind of nuts to find it...and don't say Search...you know how many port come up when you do that?

I have a 2013 Passat SEL, I had service done on Sept 10, 2015 so I have a dealership receipt showing 35,850 miles at that time. It was for whatever warranty work I could find on it and get it on record to be fixed.
Without being able to do mileage adjustments, there is a table here:
http://www.buybackmytdi.com/index.php/tdi-price-trends
Go look at the price today, and use the delta to what they have as the now price, and work out the swag adjustment for miles.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Emotional distress is serious business! I'd take that 5k and run.

I wonder if hybrid owners can sue over range anxiety? We might be on to something here.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Since this is a "guesses by me" post I think the shares today have more to do with the looming court date more than any leaks/possible agreements. I'm curious if they had an upswing before last court case or not.
More or less flat, bump on Mar 22, the 4 days before that, nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.