VOA: Total Quartz Ineo 504/507

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Had some leftover Total Quartz Ineo 504/507, so I decided to get a VOA for you guys. My 2.0T FSI engine burns so much 5w30 oil, it's not funny.

(edit: uploaded to the pic server--so the pic is from the server)

Last edited:

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
That initial TBN is a little disappointing. I bet 10K is pushing it from an acid neutralization standpoint given how aggressive the EGR duty cycle on the PDs is. No clue on how much EGR the CR motors are running, but I bet it's even more. This is not a real diesel oil IMHO.

Thanks for spending the money to have this done.

What's up with your FSI? From another post you said 1l/2.5K miles. That's 4x what my ALH goes through w/ 135K miles on the clock.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
No problem. I'm quite suprised by the TBN number.

maybe some other people can do a Blackstone Labs VOA with TBN using Longlife III and some other 504/507 oils, so we can see the before/after with the CR's.

also a nice thought would be since we have UOA database--- maybe we should do a VOA database....

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Wha we really need to know is initial cleanliness - we have no clue as to what VW considers acceptable levels of initial dirt.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
wjdell said:
Wha we really need to know is initial cleanliness - we have no clue as to what VW considers acceptable levels of initial dirt.
While we are at it, what various assembly lubes used for the assembly of the engines and anything in peculiar about its composition--- these lubes may thow the UOA off a bit, because the residuals can affect UOA's.

It's a very complex question to determine the "before" state.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
TBN of 6.4 with only 10ppm of sulfur is a lot of reserve. When we had 500ppm sulfur and a TBN of only 10...that was worth worrying about! :D

Just keeping the ratio in perspective.

The oil is still extended service rated for 30,000 miles in a VW/Audi or 19,000 miles in the Mercedes.

DB

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
If you look at the UOA at 1k of the 09 its easy to see that building lubes arent much of a factor. We see at little moly occassionally lithium, and some hard metals.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Drivbiwire said:
TBN of 6.4 with only 10ppm of sulfur is a lot of reserve. When we had 500ppm sulfur and a TBN of only 10...that was worth worrying about! :D

The oil is still extended service rated for 30,000 miles in a VW/Audi or 19,000 miles in the Mercedes.

DB
I see your point, but my TBN dropped from ~12 to ~2 in 20K with a total of 7l circulating. ULSD was very much in effect the whole time. I also don't have EGR, so that should keep the soot load to a minimum.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
I use Total 507 and am certainly interested in extending the interval if changing at 10k is throwing away good money (and expensive oil) Would folks agree that 15k, 20k, or the manufacturer's statement of 30k as an acceptable interval? Is there any reason to still change this at 10k?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
That depends on oil analysis trends for your vehicle, fuel, and driving conditions.

If at 10K the analysis shows it's still good, try 15K and re-sample, go from there.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Got it! I will do this. But first, is there a short cut to getting closer with this? For instance, if 10k for our TDIs is fine on this oil, do we also know the same about 11k or 12.5k for instance?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
CsTDI said:
Got it! I will do this. But first, is there a short cut to getting closer with this? For instance, if 10k for our TDIs is fine on this oil, do we also know the same about 11k or 12.5k for instance?
It is *probably* safe, but with the variety of fuels, driving conditions and driving styles, there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

For extended intervals you also have a plethora of API CI-4+ and CJ-4 5w40 oils to choose from.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior

DB

I have 12,000 miles on castrol Vw oil 507 and still have tbn of 6 hopefully I’ll make it to 30,000 with only a couple quarts added

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk