Visiting Maine

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
Hi folks

the family ( wifey & a 6 and 4 yr old ) and I are taking a little R&R week here, http://www.colonialgables.com/index.html
we'll be there last week of august thru to the long weekend.

we also have family coming in from Florida and New York, sorta a family reunion,

just wondering what things we can do in and around this area.

your thoughts??

thanking u in advance.
Vik and family

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
In addition to spending lots of valuable Canadian currency to help out the US deficit?
L.L.Bean in Freeport, especially the returns outlets.
Acadia Park, rent bicycles or inquire about horseback tours.
Boothbay Harbor, quaint, but touristy, good food.
Lubec, largest tidal whirlpool in this hemisphere.
Campobello Island, but that's un-American, despite being FDR's summer resort...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Vik, that's considered by many to be one of New England's most scenic regions along that sea coast. I hope you'll be traveling there when the weather is warm.

Was there any sort of activity you're specifically looking for?

There are several well-known car museums and I think a train museum, too. Mt. Desert Island is supposed to be nice...that's probably not too far.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
dieseldorf said:
Was there any sort of activity you're specifically looking for?

There are several well-known car museums and I think a train museum, too. Mt. Desert Island is supposed to be nice...that's probably not too far.

there will be 7 or 8 families half of them with kids under 10yo.

basically just trying to pick yor brains about the area, then we'd search / learn about them online

supposedly we have a clam bake setup for us somewhere...
car and train museums would be cool, names?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The lights may be on, but Dub isn't home.
However, if you see a dim bulb,.. that's him.
He'll appreciate a simple "Hello", but speak slowly.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale. Discovered that last fall while up there. :) Enough of a reason that I'm hoping to go back this fall again...

As one who used to live up in Maine, everything is either a half-hour or an hour drive away, it seems. Just keep that in mind!

Things I want to do when I go back: bike around Acadia, bike on the carriage trails, hike the Precipice, hike some of the other trails. Cadillac is a nice drive up, and has good views if it's not foggy. I forget the name of the beach but there is one that is made not from sand but rather crushed up sea shells. Thunderhole but IIRC you have to get there when the tide is just right. Got to see the place where they hatch lobsters, not exactly exciting but something interesting just the same.

LL Bean has an outlet Ellsworth too. Lots of little shops and places. Heck, I like just walking the beach, even if it gets foggy--actually, that's kinda nice when the sun isn't beating down on you. Used to drive down into Searsport on Rt 1 and hit up some of the fleamarkets on Sunday mornings.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
With all those kids take them to Old Orchard Beach, it a big amusement park with a water slide near by.

In Portland jump on one of the Casco Bay Ferries and travel all over Casco Bay, visit Portland's "Commercial St." area good shopping and food. In Scarborough (near Portland) there is a Kart place for kids and adults, take in a Seadogs baseball game (minor league). There are fishing charters too. Great beaches south of Portland.

Inland is Sebago Lake, big fresh water lake with salmon and trout for fishing. Nearby is Long lake that has a paddle wheel steamer (great for kids). The Bart Harbor airport has sail planes along with Arcadia National Park with beautiful views of the coast from the tome of the mountains along the coast

There's tons of hiking and other outdoor activities-guess that's why Maine is called Vacationland.

Have fun

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
About 10 minutes south of Belfast, in Lincolnville, is some good beaches and a few good restaurants. If you blink too slowly you will drive right through Lincolnville. :) 10 minutes south of that is Camden, a touristy town with lots of money floating around. Nice homes and beautiful boats in the harbor. There are a few sailboats (2 and 3 masted schooners) that you can go for cruises on, some are day cruises, some are extended, several day, cruises. A little further south of Camden is Rockland... some okay restaurants. Depending on your exact dates, the Maine Lobster Festival is held in Rockland early-mid August. If my garage is done.. I am going to hold a GTG that weekend to coincide with the Lobster fest. :D There is also a Blue Grass Festival there later in August. Keep going a little further south to Owls Head, and there is a good transportation museum there, as has already been mentioned. They have cars, planes, trucks, motorcycles. Some weekends they have a car auction, often times when they do, they will get out the planes/cars/trucks and you can get rides in them. Model T rides are free, Bi-plane rides will cost, don't remember how much. From Belfast to Owls Head is about 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. If you go a bit further south along the peninsula from Owls Head is Watermans Wharf, it is where the locals go for seafood. They have picnic tables at the waters edge, excellent food, but only open a few days a week, so you need to check ahead and a little hard to find. If you are interested, and I am in town.. I will meet up with you and take you there. :) Hmmm good seafood.. What sacrafices I won't do for a fellow TDI'er.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Pemaquid.

We'll be there the week before you. Saddly though w/o the exchange rate you'll be basking in ;)

The Pemaquid harbor lobster Co-op is the best place on the coast to get lobsta. Billion dollar view from the tables there. It is also one of the pennisulas that isn't as crowded with tourists as some of the others. Killer lighthouse at the end of it too, we spend a few days and a hours each visit climbing on the rocks down there below the light house...

The botanical garden down the other side of things towards boothbay is well worth a stop.

Stick near the coast and you'll have loads of fun.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I was in Ellsworth, Blue Hills, and Cape Rosier years ago. They were all nice areas. Will it still be blueberry season at that point?

If you were going to be in ME longer, I'd say make a stop at Herm's in Richmond, if your car needs any attention.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
That week will be in prime time for some of the local agricultural fairs.

Specifically:
26- Sept. 3 Windsor fair, very nice, highly recommend it, especially with kids, about 30 to 45 minutes away.

30- Sept. 3 Blue Hill Fair, another good one, only not as large, about an hour away.

30- Sept. 3 Springfield fair, never been to it, it's quite a drive.

31- Sept. 3 Harmony Free Fair, never been to this fair either, but Harmony is about as small as Maine towns get and I have been through it...once.

Blueberry season will be winding down, but it should still be going on, especially if we have a late bloom. There will be plenty around at the local farmstands though.

Apple season may be just beginning, once again it depends on what type of summer we have.

There isn't much in Belfast, but it's local to central Maine and the coast, which is very scenic.

Acadia cannot be imagined, it must be seen to be appreciated. It's only 1.5 hours away at the most from Belfast, including traffic.

There are some good local beaches around, PM me for details. Same thing for good local eateries, just let me know what type of food you're looking for.

The weather is typically very warm around then and the bugs mostly gone, so it'll be enjoyable if it doesn't rain all week.

Camden Hills State Park has some nice hiking trails with great views of the coast, or you can drive to the summit which overlooks Camden Harbor.

If you like wrenching at all, I'd suggest a visit to Liberty Tool Company, which has 3 floors of tools of every size and trade, at very cheap prices. Kids and moms might be a little bored though.

I will be hiking a section of the AT during that time or I'd invite you over, but I've had the plans for some time now. Too bad as I only live 1/2 hour away...

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Abacus said:
There are some good local beaches around, PM me for details. Same thing for good local eateries, just let me know what type of food you're looking for.
Having taken many summer vacations on Cape Cod, where the oceanside water temp gets to maybe 52*F in August, I can't even imagine going in the water in ME. But maybe coming from Canada, ME's frosty water will seem balmy. :)

jdonsbach

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI, silver/black
If you haven't already gotten enough suggestions for things to fill up your time, take a day and take the ferry out to Monhegan Island. You can catch it from Port Clyde. It is a neat place to take the kids hiking for the day. Bring a day pack.

If you are heading down Rt 1 to Freeport to Bean's, you could stop and poke around in stores in Wiscassett and Damariscotta, two quaint little villages. Other people already mentioned Camden and Rockport.

Another attraction along the way is the Wiscassett, Waterville and Farmington Narrow Gauge Railway. http://www.wwfry.org/ . They run mostly on weekend days only. "Visit Us" on the web site shows when they are open and/or running. Personally, I think it is a little more interesting than the Boothbay Railway which is more "touristy".

kermit0352

TDI
2004 Silver Jetta Wagon GLS
Vik F said:
Hi folks

the family ( wifey & a 6 and 4 yr old ) and I are taking a little R&R week here, http://www.colonialgables.com/index.html

we also have family coming in from Florida and New York, sorta a family reunion,

just wondering what things we can do in and around this area.

your thoughts??

thanking u in advance.
Vik and family
I grew up in Blue Hill so all this is biased but...it's one of the best locations on earth, based on my travels so far.

Belfast is a terrific example of a Maine seaside town, make sure to spend some time walking around the old sections. I'd get a book on the architecture of New England so you can appreciate the gingerbreading on the houses, the widows peaks on the captain's houses, the old hand-hewn timbers, etc. I think there's a custom shipyard in or around Belfast as well, and if so, you should see if you could visit. Custom shipbuilding is pretty amazing and the boats are beautiful.

Things I'd make sure to do...

Catch the sunrise over the Atlantic. Cadillac Mountain, in Acadia National Park, is supposed to be one of, or maybe the, first place in the U.S. to catch sunshine in the morning. It's popular in August so it'll be crowded, and it's damn early, but it's a lot of fun. Alternatively, you can find any seashore with a good view of the ocean and just enjoy your own private sunrise.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111619729286792203278.0004481c4d3b566ad3e80&ll=44.323848,-68.591766&spn=0.746666,1.224976&z=10

The beach someone mentioned that's sandy is called, get this, Sand Beach :). It's in Acadia National Park, just at the base of the Beehive Mountain (great but hard climb with lots of ladders to go up). Incredible views of the Atlantic from the mountain and the beach but it's also the coldest water (water on the bay side of the island is warmer by a couple of degrees). Ponds/lakes are even warmer but do watch out for leaches...not harmful but rather disgusting.

One note, all beaches in Maine are public, so feel free to enjoy any that you see, and you're allowed to cross private property, if I remember right, as long as you're headed directly to the seashore.

Drive around Brooklyn, Penebscot, Brookeville, Blue Hill, South Blue Hill, East Blue Hill, Deer Isle, and Surry. There's a terrific tidal river/salt water pond in East Blue Hill that the kayakers play in. We used to jump off the bridge as kids. Just head to Blue Hill, then head down the Parker Point road (past the library) and you'll see the bridge and tons of beautiful vistas.

There's an old fort near Bucksport that's fun to walk around.

Camden State Park is terrific, and Camden's a great town as well.

Hike up Blue Hill Mountain. It's a short climb (<1 hour for most people) and the view is gorgeous, looking right over Long Island (yes, we have one in Maine too!) and towards Acadia National Park.

Go sea kayaking, again, Blue Hill is perfect for this because it's in a huge bay protected from the ocean by Acadia. But really, anywhere along the coast is great for kayaking.

August...blueberries should be just about ripe. You can probably find lots on any hikes that you take, the wild type. And you can buy them from lots of locals along the side of the road. Don't pick any from obvious farms/fields because those belong to people/companies.

Swing by a wharf or one of the many tiny local shops to get some fresh lobster and cook them yourself, just a couple of minutes in boiling water.

Dig some clams on the beach, look for the holes and dig about 6-12 inches down with a garden tool or small shovel. Cook the clams by steaming them and enjoy with butter. They're done when the shells open.

Visit Castine and see the Maine Maritime Academy, beautiful town.

Check out Allagash White Ale, good beer. Lots of good beer in Maine actually, I think we're second in the nation in microbreweries.

Visit Bar Harbor, there are some fun bars, used to be one called the Old Lompoc, I believe. Bar Harbor, and Acadia in general, are really, really busy in August. Go early or late, the days are long so there's plenty of light, and be prepared to spend the day there.

Isle au Haut is a must visit, tiny island with a ferry running out to it.

Whale watching can be lots of fun, although I prefer a little sea kayaking where you always get to play with some seals. Do NOT mess with any lobster traps if you go kayaking! Lobsterman do not find it amusing if people mess up their gear or steal lobsters from traps.

Head down to a fishing harbor very, very early in the morning and watch the boats putting out to sea. Sunrise is probably about 4 or 5 am in August but it's worth the pain to enjoy sunrise and the commotion of fisherman plying their trade.

Finally, take some time to talk with some locals. Mainers are a crazy bunch, hence the term Mainiacs, but they are a lot of fun to talk with and usually have some good (if exagerated) stories of insane winters, crazy tourists, and wacky animals (like the moose that fell in love with someone's cow...).

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Vik, an excellent thread, thanks, I will also be copying as there looks like lots of good places to eat lobster in the advice here, which is the main (no pun intended) my wife wants me to take her!