Valve Cover Replacement for 2014 VW Passat TDI (CKRA Engine).

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Good morning, everyone,

Finally tackled the valve cover job on 2014 Passat TDI with CKRA engine - one of two (second will be timing belt and cam seal). Car is at 117,000 miles as of yesterday. Valve cover gasket was leaking, so I decided to replace the entire cover. I followed ErWIN manual fairly religiously, including recommendation to keep the area clean. I used Saran Wrap to close off any openings for fuel rail, HPFP, and individual injectors. For this project, I purchased the valve cover itself (which comes with a gasket), 4 copper washers for injector sealing, 4 rubber o-rings for injector body, and 4 tiny rubber o-rings for the return lines. And 2 bolts for the fuel injectors. Will be happy to provide part numbers if needed. Here are the tools I used:

Before starting to disassemble, clean the area so that contamination will be less likely. I wiped everywhere I could reach and used my air compressor to blow off anything else before disassembly started. Even then, I did not reach all contamination. I numbered EVERYTHING! Literally! I numbered lines (1-4 for injectors and A-D for fuel line), I marked the injector brackets (1-4) to denote location as to match everything back (ErWin recommends putting brackets back on same injectors), I even marked the position of injector in relation to bracket, so I can cross compare to when everything is reconnected so that I kept everything to factory. Also mark the injectors, since you have to place them back into original spots.

The most tedious task involves disassembling everything on top: vacuum line, 4 electrical lines from the injectors, 2 connectors from the fuel rail, glow plug connectors, return fuel line from the rail, disconnect 4 plastic connectors for fuel return from injectors (be gentle, don't break them), and then proceed to unscrew high pressure lines (4 lines from rail to injectors and 1 line from HPFP to the rail). And finally loosen the 2 bolts holding the fuel rail (triple square bit). Also unscrew 2 bolts holding the coolant line, 2 bolts holding the fuel line, and bolt with plastic bracket holding the electrical wiring. You also unscrew the exhaust pressure sensor bracket. ErWIN suggests removing the exhaust pressure sensor, but all you need is remove the screw and you're able to remove the valve cover with sensor in place. You may have to choose a different order for things, depending if anything is in the way. I did not keep track what was unscrewed first. Your goal is to be able to move all the electrical and plumbing lines out of the way. Once all is unscrewed, you can easily move all these things out of the way. I think the fuel rail was removed last before I proceeded to work on injector bracket:

Take your time disconnecting everything. I disconnected the electrical and return fuel lines first, and removed everything out of the way before working on high pressure lines:

Don't you dare laugh at my Saran Wrap, I took all the needed precautions. LOL. And here is fuel rail removed:

And another one up close:

Now, as I started to remove the injectors, I unscrewed the 2 bolts holding the injector bracket (different size triple square from the fuel rail - you have to have a set to work on German cars, same as you have to have a torx set too). I replaced these 2 bolts, as they are tightened to stretch: 8 Nm plus 180 degrees (half turn). I may have been able to get away without using injector puller, but that made the job super easy:

And once all is removed, unclip 3 clips from the timing cover, since timing belt cover goes over the valve cover and move it off slightly to the left. Unscrew 6 screws from the valve cover going from outside in, if you plan to reuse the cover. I did not, but I still followed the unscrewing sequence. The gasket was baked on, I used pliers to grasp the cover in many places and wiggle it up and down, until it loosened, in sections. Once removed, here is what I see:

Clean off the mating surfaces. Clean around the engine (especially if the cover leaked) as this is the most accessible time to do it. Then clean the bores for the injectors. I just used a lint free blue paper towel rolled. I did not use anything abrasive. Once cleaned, I sprayed a bit of brake cleaner on end of towel to get any hard oil residue from there. I decided against blowing air into holes for fear of introducing stuff into cylinders. Paper towel cleaning was pretty adequate, see for yourselves:

Take your time to clean your oily fuel injectors. Used brake cleaner to spray the and wiped then with a paper towel. Let some brake cleaner sit on the tips to clean off some of the caked on soot. Replace copper and rubber O-rings. I used vice grips to clamp on old copper ring and removed it. I used a pick set to remove the rubber o-ring. Easy.

Here is a photo with new copper washers and new OEM rubber o-rings:

Reassemble everything. The tightening sequence for the valve cover goes from inside out like this:

5 --- 2 --- 4
3 --- 1 --- 6

Tighten valve cover bolts to 8 Nm. It was so weird to keep turning and the Nm staying the same - I guess part of it was gasket compressing. Finally it reached 8 Nm, torque wrench beeped and flashed red, and you move on to the next bolt.

It goes without saying, but make sure you are not leaving any contamination on connectors before you connect them in. If you use Saran Wrap, make sure all comes off before you connect. Only finger tighten fuel rail and injector brackets and finger tighten all the high pressure lines. This is done to give slack to make sure all lines are placed without undue stress - that way the injectors can turn if needed for proper alignment and the fuel rail can move side to side a bit. Once everything is finger tight, I compared to my factory markings, and everything was perfectly lines up. I tightened the rail (22 Nm) and the fuel injector brackets (8 Nm plus 180 deg), then tightened all high pressure lines to 28 Nm. Be careful not to nick your lines with your socket, else you will have to replace the lines if you damage them. I used VCDC to activate Lift Pump for a few minutes to get the air out from the lines. However, it still took 2 tries to crank the engine. First cranking for 5 seconds did not start engine. Second cranking was immediate. ErWin recommends a 20km (12.4 mi) test drive with at least 1 full throttle. Then check all your lines to leaks. And voila! All done. Now take a long bath and enjoy knowing that you did an awesome job. Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, in the process of trying to pull the stuck on valve cover, I accidentally broke the little plastic "ears" on top of the timing belt cover. These ears don't hold anything (I think they are used for other models, our cars just have them empty). Thankfully, I accounted for both pieces to make sure they did not drop into the valve opening or timing belt opening. Here is a photo, you can see it on the left side between first injector wire and injector fuel return line. Look at original post and you can see the two ears intact on the timing belt cover (unobstructed).

But overall, no major issues so far. Will keep monitoring high pressure lines and gasket themselves for leaks for the next few days before relaxing until my next job.

Almost forgot: don't forget to recycle the two brackets from the old valve cover to the new valve cover. These brackets hold the lines on the driver side (right side if you are standing at the front facing the car) and to the rear right between engine and firewall. Those easily unclip from old valve cover and moved to the new valve cover. They hold a vacuum line and an electrical line in place. I don't know how else to describe them.

Last edited:

JohnnyDisB

TDI
2014 Passat
When buying the new Gasket.. do you have to get the valve cover? Or can you also just get the gasket?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
You can just get the gasket, yes. My opinion for my case specifically that the opportunity cost of saving is not worth doing the job twice if PCV diaphragm deteriorates later or if plastic valve cover somehow gets brittle or deforms. After all, this is plastic on top of hot engine over 8 years on the road with 120k miles. Crap gets brittle even off the engine. Having to pull injectors, risk breaking plastic fuel line clips or glow plug connectors by doing it again did not sound good. So I got a new valve cover that came with all new gaskets already included, replaced once and hope can get another 100k out of it. If this was easy like on Japanese cars, I would have just done gasket. My two cents.

ajh

TDI
Jetta MK5,Passat 2.0 NMS.
Having the part numbers would be helpful. Looks good, the only thing I was wondering is if it is worth dipping the injector tips into an ultrasonic at that age.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I'll be tackling this project in a few days. Where did you source your parts, and what are the part numbers?

I ordered mine through www.idparts.com. I called them to verify that the Fuel Injector Install Kit includes everything I'll need such as the copper washers and fuel line O-rings. We'll see how that goes. Valve cover Assembly is supposed to include the gasket, but I'm not sure about the rubber injector gaskets.

Found oil leakage down the back passenger side of the block while changing my oil and filter last night which lead me here.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the parts directly from the dealer. The parts guy I worked with would allow for price negotiation, so I would compare online prices and asked how close he could match it. He would get it within 10 to 20 dollars, which was acceptable to me. Of course, the new valve cover came with all the gaskets, hence I am not sure if the gasket kit alone would have the injector gaskets. I sure hope so. My source of oil leak was oil leaking through these injector gaskets and pooling in the 3rd injector well. There was some seeping in the back also that dripped on exhaust manifold. Not much to cause smoking, but enough to notice discoloration. Go to parts.vw.com, enter you VIN, and search for valve cover. It will find the correct parts as well as parts diagram.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
03L-103-469-R was the valve cover, I paid $268
059-130-519 for 4 fuel injector copper sealing rings, 2.58 each
WHT-000-884 for 4 fuel injector body large o ring, 0.96 each
WHT-005-302 for 4 return line o rings, tiny things, 2.74 each
WHT-004-739 for 2 injector bracket stretch bolts, 1.52 each

Total was about $300.

I guess ID Parts has valve cover for about $230 and another $20 for the injector kit, that is a pretty darn good deal. How much money do you save just replacing the gasket vs. entire valve cover? How can you tell if it is warped or if it will start crumbling like every other plastic on the car? I could not make that judgment, hence I replaced the entire thing. May not be as financially sound, but I am calculating my opportunity cost of doing it twice. I work about 60 to 70 hours a week, so finding free time for me is a privilege, hence my decision here.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on the shipment from IDParts.com that I received several days ago. Sorry been really busy, and realized I haven't been on here to chime in.

Not included in the injector install kit were the small return line O-rings. Total for my purchase was $256. I suppose I'll source the small O-rings from my local VW parts department, if they have them. Replacing the plastic rocker cover is probably a good idea in case it has warped due to heat over time.

Part numbers
-Fuel Injector Install Kit-CKRA is 15673
-Valve Cover Assembly (OEM CKRA) 5799 (OEM number 03L103469R)
Individual part numbers are on the affixed labels of the bags. They came in the 'kit' part number 15673.

I'll be busy for a couple weeks, so won't be able to start on the project yet.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
@eugene89us I really appreciate your photos and write ups. I am having to replace an injector (not the whole valve cover yet), but have a couple of questions. To remove the return fuel lines, you gently pull up on the orange/brown part in the center to unlock it, then pull up on the fitting correct? Then, when replacing injector and return line, do you lubricate any of the o-rings, or do they go on dry? I do have VCDS now, so I know to adapt the new injector and activate the lift pump a few times before starting.

I may try doing the injector reset first through VCDS. I assume no problems trying this even though original injector is at 143K miles?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@AverageAndy Yes, all you need us gently pull on the brown connector while pushing down on the black "ears". The orange connector will come out fairly easily, but I think I tried with my nails first and then used a screwdriver to gently pry it up. Be careful not to break it, as you'd have to buyt a whole new line, as far as I know.

When those small rings went back on the line, I lubricated them with a little bit of diesel fuel. There was plenty to drip from these lines that I got on my finger and rubbed onto those return line rings. I primed the system with VCDS and still took 2 tries to get the car started. But it started on the second cranking attempt quite readily.

Hope injector reset works. Otherwise, replacing injectors is super easy, since you don't have to remove much to get to them. I bought VW puller and it was a piece of care. Honestly, I am sure I could have gotten away without it. Remember, you need to replace the bolt that holds 2 injectors. Now, I don't know about the second injector - I guess if you don't disturb it, you leave it in place and somehow slide the bracket with new injector on there. I would probably play it safe and kleep an extra copper seal ring as well as injector body O-ring in case the other injector needs to come out for some reason, so you can reseal them both.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@zgossling7 At vw.snapon.com - the injector puller is T10055 and the adapter for the injector itself is T10415. I think current price is $70 and $25. Made the job extremely easy. Once again, unlikely necessary, but I did not have the luxury of keeping the car disassembled if I could not get the injector out, so I prepared for the worst.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Great descriptions. I don't need to do this yet but have bookmarked it for future use. Thanks!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Just so everyone is aware, if your valve cover is leaking.. It is still under the Extended Warranty for the long block. It falls under the Cylinder Head Cover on the form.
Which "extended" warranty is that and for how long? :unsure:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
The only one related to the Dieselgate fix, and to answer how long would depend on the car (when it was done, and at what mileage)
AH! Dieselgate, gotcha. Just making sure it wasn't some other one cause we got overlapping, concurrent extendorific warranties on our beloved TDI. Ha ha

Thanks Oilhammer

Reactions: jlr

jlr

TDI
14 sel prem
Seems that link is for Touareg engines (3.0L TDI), although the Passat 2.0L may have a similar list.
Right, sorry about that. Here's the 2.0 list: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164244-0001.pdf
More importantly, it does look like others succeeded (via filing a Customer Care Case):

From my personal experience with a Q5 the valve cover gasket ( VW calls it a Head Cover Gasket) WAS covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty. Although not at first, I did have to get Audi Customer Care involved. I asked them to explain how the long block, heads, and head covers are explicitly covered and not the gasket between the covers and heads. It took them a little bit to respond but they DID cover the leaky valve cover gasket under the Extended emissions warranty.
So moral of the story. If according to VW's own warranty booklet it seems like something that should be covered. Use their own wording against them. Where it states "Any conflict concerning warranty coverage should be resolved in favor of the consumer". That worked for me.
My experience can be found here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494873

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropped mine off today for diagnosis of oil puking from the rocker cover, all down the back of the block, onto the ground and soaking the bottom of the car. Also black/green sludge collecting in the bottom of the intercooler causing hard starting and CEL, DTCs P026A and P0111 which are related to the sludge affecting the MAF sensor. And using coolant. It was below the FILL line recently. I've never had to add any to it over the past 108k miles except after a coolant flush and air pockets clearing out.

Service writer today insisted that oil leaks are not covered at all. We shall see.

robco

TDI
2003 GLS Jetta TDI loaded
Dropped mine off today for diagnosis of oil puking from the rocker cover, all down the back of the block, onto the ground and soaking the bottom of the car. Also black/green sludge collecting in the bottom of the intercooler causing hard starting and CEL, DTCs P026A and P0111 which are related to the sludge affecting the MAF sensor. And using coolant. It was below the FILL line recently. I've never had to add any to it over the past 108k miles except after a coolant flush and air pockets clearing out.

Service writer today insisted that oil leaks are not covered at all. We shall see.
Were you able to get the dealer to cover this? My 2013 is leaking ( I think from the valve cover) passenger side rear engine. Loosing 1/2 quart every 200 miles.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Were you able to get the dealer to cover this? My 2013 is leaking ( I think from the valve cover) passenger side rear engine. Loosing 1/2 quart every 200 miles.
Nope. I fought them but they denied it based on the 'gasket' was not covered under warranty but the cover is. THE COVER INCLUDES THE GASKET!
They wouldn't listen. Couldn't comprehend. They wrote it up as a leaking oil pressure switch gasket, and replaced that. Maybe it was, I don't know.

Adios, never looking back. I could have, and would have fixed it myself but they also denied my failing turbocharger under the extended warranty.

Traded it in the same day I picked it up from Leith VW in Cary NC Service Department. Avoid them if you can.

I'm now happy in a 2023 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 pickup. Yeah the grass is always greener on the other side, but I've owned a 1995 Nissan SE V6 4x4 pickup since new and it's still going strong with almost 200k. Keeping it around as well mainly for nostalgia as I wouldn't want to daily drive it as it's too nice being a rare Hardbody pickup.

Good luck with your oil leak and getting it resolved. Sorry for not replying earlier, as I haven't been checking this forum since I sold my Passat.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I work slowly, as I don't want to rush and break something. But that was a very quick job. With lunch breaks, I estimate maybe around 3 hours. And that included diligent cleaning all over the place, all the nooks and crannies got the love.

spokes

TDI
2006 MKIV Wagon - 5spd, 2012 Passat NMS TDI - DSG
@eugene89us I need to tackle this project on my 2012 Passat. The information you provided here is super helpful, thanks. I would like to have the correct tools just in case and was wondering if you could tell me if this injector puller is all I need, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...um=email&utm_content=link2cart&salesrep=jared it looks like you also have an adapter for it. Also, the metal fuel lines. Are you able to remove those without the special socket you have show? start of post.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that is the injector puller, but you need the adapter to screw onto the injector threads and attach this injector adapter to the puller. It was quite easy overall, I am sure I would have been fine without one, but the job is always easier with correct tools. Regarding HPFP likes, all you need is the open socket like that, same idea as oxygen sensor sockets where you can get it around the high pressure lines. May even be able to get away with open end wrench also.

pikewrench

TDI
CKRA, 2013 & 2015 Passat
Changed the cover and gasket out at 145k on 13 Passat. I keep a box of seal-able baggies on the shelf in the shop. Marked the bags and place all the lines and injector in their own bag after i wiped them down. Have a large assortment of plugs covers that I have saved over the years in a container to put on the fuel rail and injectors openings- used aluminum tape on two that I was short caps as it take be molded to the threads. Bought the after market cover made by Febi that ID parts sells. That cover comes with all the gaskets and seals installed in the cover. It fit perfectly and my 13 only had one clip on the timing cover. I had purchased a separate gasket and found that it did not come with the two seals for the injector hold down bolts that go through the cover. Also had some oil in the PCV area where the hose connects. If your going to keep the vehicle I think it is a wise choice to replace the plastic cover. Remove the return fuel line and also place it in a baggie out of the way. Inspected the injector holes, but did not wipe them down as I saw nothing in them but some oil. I did tape the injector holes on the new cover when i installed it. Torquing fuel lines accurately is a problem. Stainless steel lines with the high pressure furls are generally when they are reused are snug tight and then tighten a bit more. Started after the second attempt-cranked maybe 4 second the first time, second time took maybe 2 seconds. Had no leaks. I'd like to thank you for the information above on the torques for the bolting. Took me a little more than 3 hours to complete.