Valeo Alternator failure

paulbemis

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Hi,
I have a 05 Passat TDI with a failing alternator. The Valeo is expensive and hard to find (dealer only). Has anyone had this problem, and what is the complexity of moving to a lower cost Bosch alternator?

Paul

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
paulbemis said:
Hi,
I have a 05 Passat TDI with a failing alternator. The Valeo is expensive and hard to find (dealer only). Has anyone had this problem, and what is the complexity of moving to a lower cost Bosch alternator?

Paul
Usually the different alternators are interchangeable, just need the correct pulley (if different) and the correct amperage. My 2004 has the Bosch.

What is wrong with yours that it needs replacement?

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
Let's face it, all alternator replacements are expensive. The Valeo alternator was less expensive to VW than the Bosch. I will let you decide whether the Valeo is more reliable than a Bosch.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Same pulley but you need a different bit to hold the shaft on the Valeo compared to the Bosch. Metalnerd has the Torx bit required for the Valeo if the pulley needs to be r/r.

TDI
Jetta
Most alternator failures are the brushes and or the regulator.
This comes as one part and is available at the dealer.

2 screws and one bolt is all the attaches it to the alternator.