Upgrading to 18inch

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Years ago I changed my 17" OEM Porto wheels and 225/45/17 tires to slightly wider 17" OEM Monte Carlo wheels with a lower offset and slightly wider and taller 235/45/17 tires. The Porto wheels were 17" x 7" ET54 and the Monte Carl wheels are 17" x 7.5" ET47. The change gave me about a 1" wider track and added some sidewall compared to the original set-up. I'm very happy with the change. The car looks more stocky and planted with the fatter tires and a wider stance. It's not as significant as lowering the car with different springs and shocks, but the taller tires also fill the gap to the fenders a bit more than stock. The taller and fatter tires also provide a more comfortable ride and better protection for the wheels.

For tires, I always choose Grand Touring All-Season tires. They give up some performance to the Ultra Performance tires, but they are still very capable and to me they are the most quiet and comfortable on the highway. That's what is most important to me. The Grand Touring All-Season tires are also typically available with low rolling resistance for improved fuel efficiency compared to performance tires. My favorite tire so far was the Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45/17 94H. I'll be getting a new set sometime this summer.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - SIZE: 235/45R17

1st day with the new 235/45/17 tires

1st day in black and white

Fall color

on Flickr

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The chart below shows my mpg over time. The bigger tires came in 2012. You can see there was little change from the tires. The early changes in the graph are from changes in my commute and/or weather, e.g., vacation times at Christmas and New Years when I didn't drive longer routes that were also during the colder winter months. Then later, my commute changed dramatically to a closer site for a period of time. I also have to admit I started driving quite a bit faster when they changed the speed limit from 65 mph to 70 mph in 2016. More recently, I think the fix also didn't help with mpg. The bottom line, I don't think the tires had a significant effect on mpg.

mpg for my car

on Flickr

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So the wheels im going with are 27lbs (roughly) each. I've did some quick searches and found a couple good Summer/AllSeasons. Since I wont be putting up alot of power, I obviously decided to not go with a Performance Summer tire. Besides the Michelin Primacy , does anyone else have good experiences with other tires? The spec is 18x8.5 and i was thinking doing a 215/40 on it to keep it kinda narrow close to the OE size. I've had a setup with specs like those before and the wheel didnt have any stretch to worry about.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
215/40 is smaller diameter than 225/40 that came on MK6 cars with 18" wheels. I think you'd want to stick with stock diameter at minimum to not experience a higher reading speedometer and shorter effective gearing. If you don't want to go with the correct 225/40-18 size, you could look at 205 or 215/45s, or something like that. Tire rack shows tire diameter on their spec sheets. 25" is what your car is supposed to have.

I have had great luck with General Altimax RT43s. I like them better than the Michelins I've used on my TDIs, and they're less expensive. I find the Generals more secure feeling in rain and even light snow, and they're quiet and wear really well. I have a set on my Golf right now that has at least 50K miles on them and they're about 2/3rds worn.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
From just a visual aesthetics viewpoint, a 225/45 r17 looks better than a 215/40 r18 when looking at the car from all angles, imo. Bigger rims just don't look quite right with skinny tires to my eye.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
You are approximately 38.
hypothesis;
18 year old 35r19
28 year old 40r18
38 year old 45r17
48 year old 55r16

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW owners more than most, embrace weird car culture fads. "If you ain't rubbin', you ain't dubbin'" comes to mind.

Rusty VWs are a favorite:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You are approximately 38.
hypothesis;
18 year old 35r19
28 year old 40r18
38 year old 45r17
48 year old 55r16
Thank you for your comment! That's so perfect and funny!!! Classic VW vortex and so true in general. But I'm 65 and I love my 235/45/17 tires on my 17" x 7.5" ET47 wheels. They just look right on my car and they also provide a bit more comfort for this old TDI gentleman. There is no poke and no extra camber or fender rolling was required, ha, ha, ha...

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
lol yea that's about right...
I'm 34 and my 2005 S4 that I've had since I was 23 is on 18" wheels, my 2014 sportwagen is on 16" and my 2013 A3 is on 17"

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
So the wheels im going with are 27lbs (roughly) each. I've did some quick searches and found a couple good Summer/AllSeasons. Since I wont be putting up alot of power, I obviously decided to not go with a Performance Summer tire. Besides the Michelin Primacy , does anyone else have good experiences with other tires? The spec is 18x8.5 and i was thinking doing a 215/40 on it to keep it kinda narrow close to the OE size. I've had a setup with specs like those before and the wheel didnt have any stretch to worry about.
That's too heavy, you'll regret it after you see the drop in MPG. It's possible to upsize to 18" and even run taller tires and gain some MPGs over stock if you use a lighter wheel. Fortunately, there are quite a few quality lightweight choices for 5x112 in 18" wheels. Don't go with the RFP-1s they are too light, weak and not suitable for daily driving. They are a race track wheel.

Flow formed, rotary forged or forged lightweight wheels are available in 18" diameter. I would avoid any lightweight wheel that is gravity or low pressure cast as they have weaker construction will be prone to damage.

034 motorsports makes a nice forged 18 lb 18" wheel that is reasonably priced. https://store.034motorsport.com/ztf-01-forged-wheel-18x8-5-et45-57-1mm-bore.html

Tire Rack sells their house brand of flow formed wheels called "Flow One". I have a set in 17" 5x112 at 18 lbs each. They are nice and very competitively priced.

Also most of Enkei and also OZ Racing are flow formed wheels. If you don't care about price then BBS also makes forged wheels for $$$

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Its funny to see how many people think that 18" wheel is all of a sudden camber stance poke fender rolling lol. Considering that the wheels I am looking around for are far away from "fender rolling" specs.

Anyways, @CleverUserName , I've looked around and found a set of OEM wheels that came off a A3 back in the day on the sport package. So I stuck with something OEM. Possibly when these tires are trash or in a couple years, I'll look for a set of 17s. I've seen some good ones and with a good tire, can look very good. I know everyone goes with RPF-1's cause they are light as a feather but doing 1000km a week with a wheel like that doesnt seem like a good idea. I'll take a look at Tire Rack and the 034 wheel. For tire, Im thinking maybe a 225/40 to kinda keep to "stock spec".

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I checked with comparing the tire size from the OE that came on the car and what I would be getting and if Im reading this right, Does not seem to be that far off. Can anyone confirm?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As I posted above, 225/40-18 is the correct tire size. Same diameter as 205/55-16s.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think many here consider 18" rims to be excessively huge. It seems odd to go up in size just to put skinnier rubber on them though.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I don't think many here consider 18" rims to be excessively huge. It seems odd to go up in size just to put skinnier rubber on them though.
I dont want to go too skinny but I just didnt wanna add too much width to it. I've had a 215/40 before and wasnt the worst. There was still alot of contact and sidewall. I'll consider looking at 225/40 to keep it close to OEM.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Google RFP-1 bent wheel and you’ll see they aren’t suitable for street driving. Enkie makes another wheel that is slightly heavier but stronger as well.

I just want you to be aware you’re going to take a hit on fuel economy with a 27 lb wheel.

AUDI did offer lightweight forged wheels on some sport models, I saw a sportwagen outfitted with them once. Another option if you insist on OE fitment.

Its funny to see how many people think that 18" wheel is all of a sudden camber stance poke fender rolling lol. Considering that the wheels I am looking around for are far away from "fender rolling" specs.

Anyways, @CleverUserName , I've looked around and found a set of OEM wheels that came off a A3 back in the day on the sport package. So I stuck with something OEM. Possibly when these tires are trash or in a couple years, I'll look for a set of 17s. I've seen some good ones and with a good tire, can look very good. I know everyone goes with RPF-1's cause they are light as a feather but doing 1000km a week with a wheel like that doesnt seem like a good idea. I'll take a look at Tire Rack and the 034 wheel. For tire, Im thinking maybe a 225/40 to kinda keep to "stock spec".

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Google RFP-1 bent wheel and you’ll see they aren’t suitable for street driving. Enkie makes another wheel that is slightly heavier but stronger as well.
So I did a quick search and wasn't really able to find anything other than one-off forum posts. do you have any further information?

Edit: I copied and pasted "RFP-1" into the google search rather than "RPF-1". Thanks for the info

I have a set of Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 wheels on my S4 that I LOVE. Super nice, affordable, and lighweight, but nearly impossible to get stateside nowadays.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Its all down to region's roads and their condition. I'm sure some places have better roads, but I'm with Matt. No 18's for me, not the way our road crews groom these roads. I'm not sure where the hell all our fuel taxes end up cause it sure isn't going to fixing roads.

Last edited:

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
My golf came with 17s and when I swapped my wheels I picked wheels that weighed the same, and went with the same size. Maybe I'm old, but I really love the extra cushion more tire provides. I also really love how much less sensitive non low profile tires are to air changes. Having owned my fair share of low profile tired cars, I prefer to keep those for fun cars, not ones I'm spending a lot of time in. Everyone's priorities are different though. It is all give and take

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
My golf came with 17s and when I swapped my wheels I picked wheels that weighed the same, and went with the same size. Maybe I'm old, but I really love the extra cushion more tire provides. I also really love how much less sensitive non low profile tires are to air changes. Having owned my fair share of low profile tired cars, I prefer to keep those for fun cars, not ones I'm spending a lot of time in. Everyone's priorities are different though. It is all give and take
Being 28, im nearing the end of the "slammed" car with bigger wheels look. This may be my last year or two with lower profile tires. I do believe that I will be changing it up to maybe a 17 wheel thats more of a lightweight next. I do know what you mean with the extra cushion especially when im doing 1000km a week. I had cars where I had sitting on the floor and now im over it and if I drive a car like that agian, its not fun at all. Slowly moving away as this setup will be just lowering springs to kinda get a sporty feel but nothing too crazy. Worst case I sell the wheel setup and make a post saying "Yall told me so" lol. Live and learn right?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
No idea why, but have to admit that the psychology behind this topic is so very interesting for me. Which is why my posts are all over this thread.. The marketing behind it, the history to the perception that those vehicles with larger wheels and lower profile tires are superior or higher class vehicles. Very strange but intriguing.

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So, with some major thinking and well, trial and error, I have decided to go with 17" wheels. I found a set of AMG wheels that are 17x7.5 et47 and 17x8.5 et58. Front and rears of course. Really good deal with them and found the weight of the wheels are around 20lbs each. I know people are iffy about staggered setup but 8.5 et58 isnt that bad but what im just wondering is if 8.5 with a 58 offset is too high and will touch the strut or anything.

@ksing44 , I know youre running 7.5 et47 up front. Do you have any pictures of how flush or close to the fender they are? Kind of want to see what they look like upfront. I've tried some searching and couldnt really find any golfs/golfwagons on 17 inch.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've always found a staggered setup on a front drive car amusing. If you do it you should put the wider wheels in front like on the Audi RS3.