Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF's

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
Re: Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF\'s

It sounds like something is rubbing...

Actually something was rubbing. The piece that goes between the door card and the door frame (at the window) wasn't installed properly. I think it also relates to the door pin not sticking out at it used to.

How did I figure this out? I rolled my window down on the highway and the window came crashing down. ugh. I think it was rubbing against this piece I described above. I have no idea how to put it back. For now I just pout the panel back without it and don't see why I really need this window strip.... Maybe it's just a "sound barrier"?

I also noticed it's not noisy now and it's wicked fast! I did put some white grease all over the regulator rails/pullys before putting it back together.

Anyways any tips on putting the window strip back together would be appreciated. Would it be better if I install this strip on the door card first, then clip it on the window?

Thanks for your help guys, I'm getting there...slowly

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

That strip sits on top of the door frame opening. THe interior door panel sits ontop of the strip. Sounds like you didn't install the strip or door panel correctly onto the door frame.

One way to tell if your interior panel is correctly installed is the gap next to the top speaker. There should be no gap and the screw should fit perfectly.

Make sure the interior panel is also correctly installed on top of the strip.

Here's the window seal:

1. make sure the seal is sitting in the door frame properly

2. make sure the interior door panel is sitting onto the window seal properly.

I think it also relates to the door pin not sticking out at it used to.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The door panel is NOT sitting DOWN in the groove of the window seal. It's sitting too high.

Lito

[ November 04, 2002, 22:48: Message edited by: tongsli ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Okay I'll give that a try, Lito

Isn't it funny, I took the door apart, took the lock into 200 little pieces, reassemble the window kit, reassemble the lock, got everything to work perfectly but can't put a lousy trim back on? hehe

I think I made another error. I didn't tight the clips enough. Could I break the window if I tight it too much?

By the way, I owe you guys a beer, make that a keg! You've been great help, especially Lito and Velvetfoot... Thanks guys!!!

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Originally posted by volks27:
Isn't it funny, I took the door apart, took the lock into 200 little pieces, reassemble the window kit, reassemble the lock, got everything to work perfectly but can't put a lousy trim back on? hehe

I think I made another error. I didn't tight the clips enough. Could I break the window if I tight it too much?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll agree the trim is a pain. When I worked on mine, it was pretty easy to get everything back together, but the last one I did for a friend would not go back together right to save my life. We finally got it, but I'm not sure what we had to do to get it back in. Just keep working it. BTW, why did you take your lock apart into 200 pieces?

If I remember correctly, the Bentley specs 10 Nm torque on the clips. In my translation, that's "goodntight". I worry a little about harming the glass by overtightening, but only a little. Don't break anything, make sure the glass isn't moving around if you yank on it, and don't lose sleep over it.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

BTW, why did you take your lock apart into 200 pieces?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well... I originally started my quest because my driver's door lock was acting up. You might have heared of some mk4 owners complaining about the drivers door lock not locking when hitting the lock button on the fob. The alarm did arm, and the passenger door did lock, but the darn driver's side door button stayed "up". The door light didn't work either, and the window up/down trick in the driver's door lock (using the key) stopped working too.

When I took the door apart, I noticed that even if my driver's window was working fine, it was only operating on one clip!!

So I did the clips too at the same time (I had some in stock in case they would break).

For the lock part, I got it fixed. I resoldered each solder joint inside the lock. The lock is a big chinese puzzle... ugh But velvetfoot set me on the right path, and the lock works even better now! It's quiet for some reason. I think there is not enough slack on the door lock harness, putting alot of stress on the solder joints inside the lock.

I'll try to re-install the door-window trim when it gets a little warmer around here.

Thanks guys

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Originally posted by volks27:
You might have heared of some mk4 owners complaining about the drivers door lock not locking when hitting the lock button on the fob.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's interesting. The last guy I helped with the window regulators had a similar problem once we got the whole darn thing back together. The door lock also didn't go down on the driver side, but the alarm would arm and he was able to open the door (setting off the alarm, of course). When we got it apart again, we found that the door lock post pin was being impeded by the grommet in the metal door panel. I slid the grommet back a bit on the pin, and everything worked well from then on out. I was scared we'd have to take everything apart all over again, but luckily that wasn't the case.

Glad you were able to solve your problem, though. Messing with the door lock is not my idea of fun.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Glad you were able to solve your problem, though. Messing with the door lock is not my idea of fun.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not my idea of fun either. But the high you get by fixing things is pretty cool.

Maybe I had the same problem as you... maybe it was just the grommet and the dealer didn't bother after replacing the clips the first time it broke... Interesting!

On another note... I saw on vortex that it's now official. VWoA is sending letters to all vw owners about the regulator clips failing and are extending the warrenty for 98 (MK4s) and up. Cool. It's not a recall, YET!

Now I did all that for nothin'

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Did you ever take pic of the door lock surgery??? That's intersting. I know others having the same problem. Is there a thread we're missing???

Lito

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Lito,

I took a few pics, but I got too much concentrated and my hands were really dirty so I lay the camera aside. It's not something easily "documentable".

I would have loved to write something up on it, but to tell you the truth apart from the re-soldering of the "cold joints" I didn't understand what I was doing. ugh. I magically got it back together and prayed that it wasn't expensive garbage. It worked for some weird reason. It was getting pretty bad. It was only locking 1 out of 3 times. Now (since saturday, it's been perfect every time)!

There is a quick way to check if the joints are bad. Take the panel apart, then with a finger or two wiggle the wiring closest to the lock's harness/connector as possible. Then with the key in the ignition, you should hear a "ding, ding" saying "hey buddy, your door is ajar". When wiggling, if the ding ding stops, there you go, cold solder. if not, it might be the grommet as said previously.

Someone has to teach those germans to solder better than that. And that harness is way too tight

[ November 06, 2002, 17:13: Message edited by: volks27 ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

I'd like to add to my window regulator long story. I got my panel and trim finally installed. I understand now. I think it's possible to put that trim backwards actually, and that doesn't leave much room for the window to move. Hence that was my problem with the lock pin and the window making noise (rubbing against the trim holding the panel)

Now I got another problem. I think I didn't assemble the regulator the right way. On the regulator, does it make a difference which cable goes over which (there is a X in the middle)? In other words I think one cable is overlaping the other one and the rubber seal of that cable is rubbing against the window making a mark.

I'll post another one trying to explain this better with the picture lito drew.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Okay here it is (Thanks Lito for the picture)

Where the X is (in the middle, where the two cables meet) Does it matter which one is over which?

I'm confused now...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes, it does matter

[ November 06, 2002, 20:27: Message edited by: tongsli ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Oops I ment in the dead center of the picture, the black lines, where the black cables meet, not the clips.

These black cables have some kind of rubber coating, and they rub against the window.

Does it matter which one goes over?

Thanks again!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Now you're getting WAY too anal.LOL

No it doesn't matter!

L

PS if you're concerned, place the LONGER one BENEATH the Shorter one. That way, the longer cable can't push out and hit anything. Not that I think they will.

[ November 07, 2002, 07:19: Message edited by: tongsli ]

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

Okay, thanks Lito

I'm off the soapbox. I don't think I'll bother taking the thing apart again for that lousy cable

Once again, thanks guys. It's great to see such good support online like this!

ps: sorry if I'm being anal, just want to make sure I don't screw up!

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline

As far as I know, they fixed all models in 2002 1/2. Your 2003 should have the upgraded metal clips.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Originally posted by tongsli:
Now you're getting WAY too anal.LOL
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HEY! I'm the "i am getting way to anal over these window regulars" king around here!

Volks27 - FWIW...I still get a trace of a vertical grease line on my window from (i guess) one of the clips (?) and I changed regulators several months ago. The windows work, they won't fall down. I am happy!

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Originally posted by DEZLBOY:
[QBFWIW...I still get a trace of a vertical grease line on my window from (i guess) one of the clips (?) and I changed regulators several months ago. [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gee.... how would THAT have happened??

Incidentally one of my windows is this way too. Still has a little grease streak down the window.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Probably some neophite putting too much onto the rails

You guys can use my windex

Lito

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Originally posted by tongsli:
Probably some neophite putting too much onto the rails
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Probably true. I guess next time we be better off listening to Lito's directions, instead of some "know nothing" imposter!