Two Blend Doors? '96 Passat B4V

diesel300dmanual

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Silver
Thanks to many of you for helping me through my 'low' heat situation. The only foam left was blowing through my vents.

My question now: are there TWO Blend Doors or ONE? I found one and put the sticky felt over the holes. But upon test driving the car (with all the components out of the way) I feel heat coming out of the right side of the HVAC and cool air from the left side. In other words, while driving down the highway, I have my right hand tucked into the top vent (with the vent facing off).

Everything else checks out. New Thermostat, coming up to 190 as it should. Both heater hoses hot in the engine bay.

??

Thanks

Don

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
there's technically two doors, I think. It's really one L-shaped door. So there would be two flaps you'd have to replace the foam on. You have to split the casing apart to get to it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The once closer to the seats controls air direction, the one closer to the firewall (and heater core) controls temp.

Try moving the controls and see which flap moves ;)

-J

diesel300dmanual

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Silver
That makes total sense now because in repairing (the only one I could see), it helped with air flow, but not with temp. Before I repaired it, I'd get about 25% through the vents, 25% in defrost, 25% to my feet, etc (regardless of what setting the air flow indicator was on).

I'll try to get to the second door now.

Much appreciated

Diesel Don

diesel300dmanual

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Silver
Ok

I located the L shaped, double doors. I was able to get to the first flap covered, but can only see the second one with a mirror inside there. No way in the world I can get my hand or a tool in there.

You guys mentioned splitting the box, but for some reason (I've studied both sides of the container in which the blend doors operate) I can't see how to split it. Are you talking about the HVAC removal with the entire dash as well. Or were you able to split the box itself to get to both flaps?

Sure enough though, both flaps had 95% of the foam gone.

Thanks

Don

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Yes, you'll need to remove the HVAC unit. How did you even manage to get at the first door without doing so?!

I've not taken a B4 apart to know how it works for sure (I helped a friend with a Mk2 recently, which should be relatively similar).

With the Mk2, there's several clips we popped out to separate the HVAC unit vertically. The other door is accessed by removing the heater core from the HVAC unit.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
By splitting the case in half vertically (separating the heater core side from the blower / ac side) and then removing the heater core you can get to the temp blend door easily. As Matt noted the whole business has to be removed from the car, there is no way you could get to the clips with the unit still bolted up.

-Jason

diesel300dmanual

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Silver
Thanks again for clarification.

One guy posted that he was able to do it without dash and HVAC removal, but I suppose he was only referring to the forward blend door. I did that one with a pancake turner (slipped it through the crack and applied the felt to the blend door). Worked well.

Guess I better plan on many more hours....

Don