Turbo replacement for ALH - which one to chose? which ones are poor choices?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I have been hearing some good stuff about xman but I’ve not been to his website to look yet.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
What other parts should i be sure to change with the turbo? Should I also change the turbo oil feed line and the oil return line? The hoses to the Intercooler?
I have oil accumulating in the intercooler... it's the turbo that pulls/pushes its own oil, right?
Can/should I be using anti-seize lube when bolting it down?
I think thats normal for oil to be there, I just think you dont want to have to check it with a dip stick haha. What I did was run a short self tapper screw up into the bottom of the Intercooler for a drain plug. That way I can drain any excessive oil accumulation

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You don't have to replace the feed line unless you suspect it's plugged, but a lot of people have difficulty removing it from the old turbo without damaging it. So you may end up needing one regardless. Return line is probably fine unless it's visibly leaking.

Drain the intercooler, and if any of the hoses are degraded, replace them. Otherwise they're OK. I'd recommend not using anti-seize.

Oil accumulating in the intercooler on a properly running (and driven) TDI is not normal. I've not drained mine in over 200K miles. No oil in there.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
IDK about that IDP; I have been draining a teaspoon or so out of my '04 for the past 130k miles( started this one at 70k).

Douglas

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Do you run it hard on occasion? Engine warm, run it up to red line thru 3rd and 4th once a week or so, should keep it clear.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Oil in the piping is pretty common on engines with closed circuit crank vents. It's not normal for fast accumulation, usually indicates the front seals in the turbo are leaking. Venting the crankcase to a catch can, or oil separator then back to intake side of the turbo is a better set up. Only issue with them is the possibility of them freezing over winter if not drained regularly. Give and take I guess.

Vlad123

TDI
1996 Passat, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I've been kinda following this thread, where did you end up buying the turbo and related parts from?
Sorry for my late response. I ended up buying from RockAuto. I know they are generalist, but I seemed to get overall better prices there and they had everything I wanted to replace.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Do you run it hard on occasion? Engine warm, run it up to red line thru 3rd and 4th once a week or so, should keep it clear.
redline is rare. Trips are OTO an hour long, 2x a day...and I do run it up 3/4 of the way to reline at least once a day...

As with a few others WHAT did RA sell you?

Douglas