Trying to replace wheel bearings

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
About two years ago I replaced the front wheel bearings on my wifes 95 passat wagon. Its a GLX model with a TDI transplant. Over the last few weeks the car started acting up so I jacked up the front end and sure enough there was play on the wheels. Got one side out but can't seem to get the passenger side hub/spindle assembly to come off the spline shaft.

Could they have failed so quickly because of the wrong torque value. I used 195 Ft/Lbs that I find on the forum back then. But then I found this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=96672&highlight=axle+nut+torque
Here is my spline on the side I took off.

Should I be using the 66 ft/lb value? Any suggestions on how I can get this spindle/hub assembly off?
Any help much appreciated.

AmIdYfReAk

TDI
93 Passat GL w/AHU Swap, 2003 Jetta 17/22/etc.
To get the cv's out of the hub, i usually use a hammer along with a 1/2" extension that i don't care to much about.

Also, tbh, i don't usually torque the cv bolts on, i hit em with a electric impact till they stop spinning.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Kroil is your friend. I use a big lead hammer to get mine off, it's always worked fine. I also put them on using a light coating of Never-Seize so they don't rust into place.

A big gear puller will work as well.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
When they are hard to remove, I like to use a three jaw puller. If you don't have one, a hammer and drift will work. For future ease, clean the rust off the splines and apply a light coating of never seize before reassembly.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Thanks guys. All back together. Had a bad hub, and invested in a torque wrench to get the 195 ft/lb ..... $350 and 8 hrs into it and the alignment is just slightly off. Will get an alignment after I get some tires.