Trip Report- 4000 miles, 11 states, a Golf TDI, and a Scamp 13'

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I've never seen Craters of the Moon before - that place looks cool! A lot of nice pictures in this thread, thanks Derek!!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Glad you all are enjoying it!

Thursday Aug. 14th.

After finishing up at Craters of the Moon, we decided to head towards Capitol Reef NP. We stopped in Provo, UT for some chinese food for dinner before the long drive to Richfield, UT.

Filled up in south Provo

Miles- 274.8
Gal.- 9.88
MPG- 27.82

what's in the background? :)
20140813_200246 by DerekG710, on Flickr

another diesel/rest stop, another giggle :)

20140813_213345 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Had a nice breakfast in Richfield before driving 50 miles to Capitol Reef. I would definitely recommend this small diner for breakfast, good coffee, tasty food, and pretty cheap as well.

20140814_104558 by DerekG710, on Flickr

After a quick top off we were on the road.

Miles- 141.2
Gallons- 5.06
MPG- 27.92

Made it to CRNP!

IMG_1213 by DerekG710, on Flickr

more pics tomorrow!

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Nice! I was just thinking, this thread may sell more Scamps in the next few years than some mainstream and costly ads might do... You should set up a referral system with Scamp and see if you can pay for some of your camper with it! Maybe you are really a Scamp-planted shill and I'm just behind the eight ball!! :)

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol they actually have a referral system as most of their advertising is by word of mouth, so there is some incentive to tell people about them. I'm no spokesman, but we love our scamp and if my trips inspire people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors then that is all I care about. I'll put up some more pics and stats tonight.

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
I've never seen Craters of the Moon before - that place looks cool! A lot of nice pictures in this thread, thanks Derek!!
Are you sure. I think that was the same scenery they used for Armstrong in 1969.....?

Awesome thread!

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Capitol Reef was pretty awesome, some really nice rock formations. We drove as much of the scenic road that we could, a lot of the dirt roads were closed due to flood threat. Also did a ~5mi hike that was a blast as well.

IMG_1245 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1274 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1223 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1234 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1237 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1448 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1457 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1285 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1278 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
After leaving CRNP around 5pm we set our sights on one of our favorite places to visit, Ouray, CO. This was my 5th time to go there, and 3rd consecutive visit. We usually rent a jeep and make the rounds on the offroad trails to Lake City, Ridgeway...etc, but this time we wanted to just rest for a couple days as or trip was coming to a close.

IMG_1466 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Next fill-up was in Fruita, CO just outside of Grand Junction

Miles- 276.8
Gallons- 9.45
MPG- 29.3

We usually stop and visit my aunt and uncle in GJ, but it was 9pm as we were driving through so we decided to just stay on the road.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Wow-love all the pics.Thank you for sharing them. Looks like you had a great and safe time.You really can't beat those small hometown diners for food.

mrfreedom55

TDI
'14 Jetta Highline
wow, thanks for the great photos and info. We are heading out Oct 2014 for 10 months, throughout the US and Canada. pulling a 2013 Prolite Suite, similar but only 500 lbs dry weight. wondered about putting an Egt in, but only 500 lbs, two adults in the car? thoughts?

downsized

TDI
2012 sportwagon
Cool trip! I traveled the country with my girlfriend and dog back in 2012. 14k miles, 28 states in 3 months.
Did it in her 2010 2 door golf 2.5. Can't wait to do it again in the TDI!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
wow, thanks for the great photos and info. We are heading out Oct 2014 for 10 months, throughout the US and Canada. pulling a 2013 Prolite Suite, similar but only 500 lbs dry weight. wondered about putting an Egt in, but only 500 lbs, two adults in the car? thoughts?
You shouldn't have to worry too much about egt's with that set-up. I just like to look at stats and numbers regardless if I'm towing or not; for my set-up with the scamp I wouldn't go without a scanguage, very helpful.

ThumperTheRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Virgin White, Diesel Wabbit (SOLD in 2006)...
Absolutely AWESOME post DerekG... Loved looking through all the pictures! Really makes me want to get a Diesel again and drive the country!!

It's funny too, you seemed to average better mileage on your trip with a loaded down car AND a ~1300lb trailer in tow, than I can manage in my 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon... :(... Yeah I think I need to start looking a little more seriously this year for a Golf TDI...

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thoroughly impressed with the mpg I got on the trip, I can't wait to see how it tows a few years from now when I get the DPF delete/malone tune.

I didn't take a ton of pics after leaving CRNP since we spent the last couple days relaxing, but I'll finish off the thread in a bit with a few final pics, thoughts, and MPG numbers.

I appreciate all the positive feedback from you guys and I will def be doing more road trip write-ups in the future. Actually going on a 800+ mile trip in a few weeks to watch the WEC and TUSC race in Austin, TX at Circuit of the Americas. I should have some much better MPG numbers with an unloaded car and just my brother and I lol Also some cool pics from the race.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Final update!

Arrived in Ouray, CO around 11pm on the 14th. I love not having to set up a tent in the middle of the night, just park and un-hitch. I highly recommend the KOA just outside of Ouray, they have a great restaurant and 4 jeeps available for rent, although we decided not to go up the mountain this year.

Here's our campsite..

IMG_1473 by DerekG710, on Flickr

This time around we just hung out and relaxed. Did some shopping, eating, and walking around town.

IMG_1475 by DerekG710, on Flickr

I topped off before we made our way south to Durango. This was the worst MPG for the whole trip. I think I was pushing pretty hard trying to get to Ouray before midnight, it was all mountainous so not too bad really.

Miles- 125.5
Gallons- 4.84
MPG- 25.9

Here was the highest altitude of the entire trip between Ouray and Silverton, Molas Pass @10,910ft.

IMG_1483 by DerekG710, on Flickr

I've driven this road 3-4 times before, but never in a turbo car and wow does it make a difference. There was always a noticeable loss in power and MPG, but with the TDI I never noticed any loss in power and it pulled hard the whole way up.

We arrived in Durango around 1pm, just in time for lunch. :)

If you are ever in Durango do yourself a favor and eat at Carver Brewing Co. The have some amazing burgers, local beer, and the atmosphere is fantastic.

bt_Carver_Brewing by DerekG710, on Flickr

20140816_133926 by DerekG710, on Flickr

The next fill up was in Albuquerque

Miles- 294.1
Gallons- 10.234
MPG- 28.74

Then Amarillo

Miles- 293
Gallons- 9.660
MPG- 30.33 (best yet!)

We drove late into the night and ended up staying in a Walmart parking lot in Amarillo to sleep for a few hours before driving the final 5-6 hours home.

Final fill up after arriving home on the 17th.

Miles- 360.6
Gallons- 13.01
MPG- 27.7

All in all we had an amazing trip and I can't wait to go back to most of the places we visited and stay for at least a week at each one. The golf far exceeded my expectations while towing the scamp ~4600 miles and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow. I can't think of a single thing to complain about, it handled great, was comfortable, got fantastic MPG, and didn't have as much as a hiccup the entire trip. The functionality of the TDI is what I bought it for and it has definitely earned its place in my life and I can't wait to take it on our next adventure.

Final stats-

Total Distance- 4632.43 miles

Total Fuel Stops- 18

Total Gallons Consumed- 160.52

Total Fuel Cost- $627.87

Highest Price/gal. of Diesel- St. Mary, MT @ $4.44

Lowest Price/gal. of Diesel- Park City, KS @ $3.65 (my home town was $3.55, but that doesn't count as a road trip lol)

Finally the stats TDIclub really wants to see lol

Highest MPG- 30.33, but technically it was 45.08 while driving around Yellowstone, a bit tongue in cheek I know.

Lowest MPG- 25.9

Average MPG- 29.35!!!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Great stats while towing!! I was just in Yellowstone and averaged 50 MPG toodling around the park in the Passat. Going 85 MPH returned 38-39 MPG... not too shabby for a big car!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
On the way back from Mineral Wells, TX to Mobile, AL. with a 16 foot Scamp.
Towing with my 210,000 mile 2009 JSW TDI DSG
Tows great no problems with the transmission or power.
Easily keeps up with traffic, but so far driving 55 65 mph mostly becasue the brakes are not yet connected. Stops very well any way and tracks quite well.
Tows better than a lot of combinations I have used over the last 50 years.
The only problem with starting going up a hill is if you are too aggressive with the throttle you will spin the tires.
So far the DSG has been flawless even with the 109 degree heat.
I'll post some pictures later.
We are taking our time and visiting friends along the way.
I have started the trip indicator at fueling near the start going through the texas hill country. My experience with my JSW is it gets around 40 mpg on the computer and 37 measured. We will see what it gets by miles and gallons. The computer will start fresh in the morning, but had the first of the day unladen so no good estimates for today.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, a 16' with a dsg?! That's brave lol

Are you using the euro hitch? Also, anything other than 40k service intervals on the trans? That's impressive if so. Can't wait to see some pics.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
The DMF's usually fail before the clutches, so towing shouldnt hurt much since the DSG is basically an automated manual, and not an actual automatic prone to overheating.

Plus the DSG increases hydraulic pressure to hold the clutches based on engine load, so the harder you push, the harder it holds. I'd still never own one if there is a manual option.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Westfalia hitch, Buzzken pipe and Malone .5 Eco tune and more like 50 - 60 k mile DSG service.
My thoughts on the dual mass flywheels is that they are stressed more at idle than while ddiving and this car spends little time idling!
We will see how it holds up long term. We bought the trailer heap so that we could fix it up the way we wanted and use it.
The rig doesn't look over powering for the car and it tows good.
We are following the UK practice of 85% trailer to tow vehicle so I think we are OK?
I plan to install the Westfalia 13 pin wiring kit that integrates into the car electronics wirh a brake controller. The P.F? Jones rep sain in an email that the gyros in the car wouls help stabilize the car wirh braking and alos optimize the engine mapping and cooling for trailer pulling.
I will rewire the traiker for the 13 pin euro standarx.
Gotta go get ready for another day now.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
The MFD shows 28 mpg on the trip from Lampasas to Buda (about 200 miles).
The trip computer showed a range of about 400 miles at the mileage we were getting.
Not bad for towing the 16 foot Scamp in the rolling hill country.
We traveled about 58 - 62 because it felt comfortable with the new rig not because it was poor handling or any other negative reason.
If you start too quickly you will spin the front tires, so no jack rabbit starts.

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
Subscribed! I have done a bunch of research on the same exact Scamp and I was going to do the same thing with my '12 TDi.

The problem I ran into is that the manufacturer states a 1000 lb towing limit. We all know this is bogus and it can tow much more, however I was scared that if I got in a crash, my insurance would not cover it because I was breaking the rules. Did you ever consider this/have a way around it?

I was going to call different insurance companies and see if one of them was willing to accept this additional liability of towing.