Trip Report- 4000 miles, 11 states, a Golf TDI, and a Scamp 13'

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Nice trip and pics!

Yeah, you are having the same issue I had with WIFI in Campgrounds, Motels, Hotels, McDs, etc.

If fact, I got very disgusted and stop trying to post pics. Now, I am home and will eventually have to honor my promise to post pics....ugh!
I feel the same way.....just have to wait until I get home to post some high quality pics. I can't even upload 1 picture to Flickr without it timing out.

Funny parking pics

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm liking the 13' Scamp as much as anything here... Perfect little towing partner for your TDI. Looks like a great trip and good memories for years to come. :cool:

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
How many BTUs is the AC on that Scamp? It looks like the brisk II model which I thought was 13.5k, but that seems really excessive for a 13' trailer.

I'm possibly buying a 16' bathroom model to tow behind my TDI. That will be fun!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
How many BTUs is the AC on that Scamp? It looks like the brisk II model which I thought was 13.5k, but that seems really excessive for a 13' trailer.

I'm possibly buying a 16' bathroom model to tow behind my TDI. That will be fun!
It is indeed the Brisk II. It could be considered excessive lol, they use the same A/C unit for the 13', 16', and 19' scamps. It cools our 13' in like 2 minutes :)

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
That's excessive! but awesome too. The 16 I am looking at (2013) has an older dometic, but I will probably replace it with the 11,000 low profile or a coleman 13,500 power saver so I can run off a 2kw honda generator.

Awesome pics. That looks like an amazing trip!

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
Awesome thread with excellent quality pics. I did have a few questions when you are not too busy enjoying life.

How much does your scamp weigh roughly?

What class of tow hitch do you have on the golf?

Do you get a lot of sway with crosswinds and such while driving on bridges/mountains/hwy?

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Safe travels.

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I can't wait to see more pics, thanks.

Could you give your impressions of the Scamp? To me it seems the best choice for a smaller tow vehicle.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome thread with excellent quality pics. I did have a few questions when you are not too busy enjoying life.

How much does your scamp weigh roughly?

What class of tow hitch do you have on the golf?

Do you get a lot of sway with crosswinds and such while driving on bridges/mountains/hwy?

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Safe travels.

I don't really know how much it weighs honestly....scamp says it should weigh roughly 1200-1300 pounds. The version with the full wood interior weighs 1500, and I didn't get the wood so that's my best guess.

I'm using a class 1 hitch from Curt with a 5.5" rise drawbar rated for 3500lbs. I'll post a picture of the hitch while the trailer is hooked up later today.

I experienced absolutely zero side to side sway, even in heavy crosswinds. The trailer would sway some fore and aft when there was a rough transition on the highway or at low speed on a bumpy city street, but never felt uncontrollable or anything. 90% of the time it didn't feel like there wasn't anything behind me.

I scraped a handful of times ever so slightly. Usually when going in and out of gas stations....the trailer jack never scraped, nor the hitch itself. The safety chains would touch the ground and then push on the drawbar pin/lock...the only part of the whole system with scratch marks are the chains. You'll see what I mean when I post pics tonight.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
So today we drove a little over 500 miles to Arco, ID. We might check out craters of the moon monument before moving on to Utah tomorrow. Then either Arches or Capitol Reef.....We've been to arches, but not Capitol Reef...anyone with a quick rundown of that place? Things to do/see.
I just came across this thread today. Awesome trip! Looks like you guys had a great time.

I'm woefully late in providing any input, but did you end up going through Southern Utah?

On my list of upcoming trips is a return to Capitol Reef for one reason: Burr Trail Road. Just in case you ever find yourself back in the area...

Notom-Bullfrog Road - This is where the route starts from Highway 24. Notom-Bullfrog starts just East of the CRNP visitor center and runs South along the East side of the Capitol Reef spine giving cool views from the other side of what you would see in the park. The first few miles is paved before turning into a dirt/gravel road. You then turn West onto Burr Trail road.

Burr Trail Road - This road starts with a kick. It has some extreme switchbacks that climb up (about 800 feet in 0.5 miles :eek:) over the spine into CRNP. Although it says it's not suitable for RV's/trailers, as your juxtaposition photos show, I think they mean BIG RV's and trailers. I don't think you'd have any problems on the tight roads with the Golf/Scamp combo. Inclement weather also makes this road difficult in a non-4WD vehicle. It was raining during our trip there, which is why we haven't done this route yet. Burr trail road bisects the park giving spectacular views and access to various trailheads. Once out of the park, pavement returns. Burr trail continues on until intersecting Utah Highway 12 in the town of Boulder.

Utah Highway 12 - This is easily the most spectacular section of road I've ever driven. The day we drove it there was a Miata club having a group run here which should be very telling of how much fun it is. Now couple that with awe inspiring views. Continue South on 12 out of Boulder. This will lead you through Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument. Views, spectacles, and windy roads abound. At one point, you're driving along the crest of a mountain that seems barely wide enough for the road with huge drops on both sides as you descend into the valley. Once out of Grand Escalante, there are a few things to see as you continue on 12; Escalante Petrified Forest state park, Kodachrome Basin state park if you want to do some hiking, and Bryce Canyon National Park.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find your way back there some day. Your trip report is awesome and inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us.

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't really know how much it weighs honestly....scamp says it should weigh roughly 1200-1300 pounds. The version with the full wood interior weighs 1500, and I didn't get the wood so that's my best guess.

I'm using a class 1 hitch from Curt with a 5.5" rise drawbar rated for 3500lbs. I'll post a picture of the hitch while the trailer is hooked up later today.

I experienced absolutely zero side to side sway, even in heavy crosswinds. The trailer would sway some fore and aft when there was a rough transition on the highway or at low speed on a bumpy city street, but never felt uncontrollable or anything. 90% of the time it didn't feel like there wasn't anything behind me.

I scraped a handful of times ever so slightly. Usually when going in and out of gas stations....the trailer jack never scraped, nor the hitch itself. The safety chains would touch the ground and then push on the drawbar pin/lock...the only part of the whole system with scratch marks are the chains. You'll see what I mean when I post pics tonight.
Thanks Derek, that helps a lot. I like the scamp and your setup.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I just came across this thread today. Awesome trip! Looks like you guys had a great time.
I'm woefully late in providing any input, but did you end up going through Southern Utah?
On my list of upcoming trips is a return to Capitol Reef for one reason: Burr Trail Road. Just in case you ever find yourself back in the area...
Notom-Bullfrog Road - This is where the route starts from Highway 24. Notom-Bullfrog starts just East of the CRNP visitor center and runs South along the East side of the Capitol Reef spine giving cool views from the other side of what you would see in the park. The first few miles is paved before turning into a dirt/gravel road. You then turn West onto Burr Trail road.
Burr Trail Road - This road starts with a kick. It has some extreme switchbacks that climb up (about 800 feet in 0.5 miles :eek:) over the spine into CRNP. Although it says it's not suitable for RV's/trailers, as your juxtaposition photos show, I think they mean BIG RV's and trailers. I don't think you'd have any problems on the tight roads with the Golf/Scamp combo. Inclement weather also makes this road difficult in a non-4WD vehicle. It was raining during our trip there, which is why we haven't done this route yet. Burr trail road bisects the park giving spectacular views and access to various trailheads. Once out of the park, pavement returns. Burr trail continues on until intersecting Utah Highway 12 in the town of Boulder.
Utah Highway 12 - This is easily the most spectacular section of road I've ever driven. The day we drove it there was a Miata club having a group run here which should be very telling of how much fun it is. Now couple that with awe inspiring views. Continue South on 12 out of Boulder. This will lead you through Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument. Views, spectacles, and windy roads abound. At one point, you're driving along the crest of a mountain that seems barely wide enough for the road with huge drops on both sides as you descend into the valley. Once out of Grand Escalante, there are a few things to see as you continue on 12; Escalante Petrified Forest state park, Kodachrome Basin state park if you want to do some hiking, and Bryce Canyon National Park.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll find your way back there some day. Your trip report is awesome and inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks for the info man, we ended up going to Capitol Reef since I've never been before. Unfortunately they had a big rain the day before, so pretty much all of the dirt roads were closed. We hiked about 5 miles around the Cohab Canyon area, the rock faces were really cool.

We didn't go any further south in Utah then CRNP, instead went east over to Ouray, CO. I have driven hwy 12 though and it is spectacular. We did Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon, and Petrified Forest in 2012 and I remember hwy 12 when we were going from Bryce up to I-70 and over to Moab.

I will definitely be back to the Grand Staircase area, that is a place we skipped the last few times we've gone west and it looks really cool. I think Canyonlands is the only national park in Utah that we haven't been to yet.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't wait to see more pics, thanks.

Could you give your impressions of the Scamp? To me it seems the best choice for a smaller tow vehicle.

The scamp is a fantastic camper, perfect fit for the golf. I was drawn to the simplicity and utility of it. It's one of the lightest fiberglass campers you can buy new right now. Which is also part of the reason I narrowed it down to the scamp. I knew the max weight limit (in Europe) for the golf s somewhere around 2000lbs. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge towing any kind of camper with the golf, but I wanted to be as safe and reliable as possible. So I didn't even consider campers listed at over 1500lbs, that crossed off the T@B, Casita, Egg Camper, and a few others.

What also made the scamp really intriguing to me was the fact that it's a 3rd generation family business that has built them almost exactly the same since the 70's, so it has a very retro look and feel to it which we love. i.e. the exterior decal style, minimalistic interior design, the wheels tucked under the fenders....etc.

The scamp is a perfect fit for us, and there isn't really anything I would change about it. I'm sure we will add our own flavor to it eventually, like curtain fabric, pictures of our travels on the walls, and other nick nacks, but the base platform is excellent.

Even though the tdi could technically tow more, I wouldn't want to push the limits. I like having the 500-800lb buffer, because it's not just about the static weight of the trailer. Once you throw in bad roads, loading it with all your gear, emergency braking situations, steep descents through the mountains, and "other" you start to see where having that extra breathing room is very helpful and a lot less stressful.

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, time for an update.

I'll back track a little and add a few better pics from Yellowstone and Glacier.

IMG_0147 by DerekG710, on Flickr

They walk around like they own the place.....and they do.

IMG_0166 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Had to watch Old Faithful go off a couple times.

IMG_0195 by DerekG710, on Flickr

All the smaller geysers and hot springs were pretty cool as well

IMG_0311 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_0296 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_0304 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Grand Prismatic Spring. I'll have to make a panoramic .jpg since it was too big to get into frame, but here is a piece of it lol

IMG_0374 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Mammoth Hot Springs

IMG_0415 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_0413 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_0420 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Also here is a pic of the hitch that someone requested.

I was parked on the side of the road at an angle so it's almost touching the ground where the gravel is angled, but in reality when on flat ground I have a lot more clearance. This pic just helps the visualization of what would scrape the ground.
IMG_0106 by DerekG710, on Flickr

This isn't the best pic, but it gives a more accurate representation of the ground clearance.

IMG_9847 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Last edited:

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
The views are breath taking, nice camera work. Thanks for the hitch pics.

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Oh noes!

I zoomed in, I think your hitch ball was loose in this photo, if you look at the lock washer it seems to not be 'squished' all the way. I'm glad to hear the Golf/Scamp tow package is a winning combo - this gives me ideas for some trips of our own! :D

Really great scenery and awesome pics - I see you used the 60D on some of them. I got the 70D not that long ago, need to take some trips to get some use out of it! I haven't seen most of those parks since I was a kid, and my wife never has, so this is really making us want to get going.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't been to any of the parks we visited this time, it was awesome.

I got the ball as tight as I could with two channel locks and checked it at every stop and it never came loose, but I need to find a way to get it tighter.

The 60D is awesome and so is the golf!

More pics and updates coming tonight.

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I hear you on getting those hitch balls tight - it can be tough. I bought a Reese brand combination wrench that works for the lower nut, and a HUGE Crescent wrench at Tractor Supply to hold the top steady. To make it easier, I just put the ball mount in the hitch sideways, so i can pull upwards while tightening the nut and use my legs. The larger hitches often don't need the two wrenches which is nice, they have a hexagonal depression that holds the ball from moving. Looking forward to more pics!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Couple pics on the way to our campsite in Arco, ID on Tues. the 12th.

Highest peak in Idaho.....Borah Peak @ 12,662ft.

IMG_0880 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Another cool view of that amazing sunset.

IMG_0895 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Before continuing the update from Wed. the 13th at Craters of the moon, I inadvertently went mudding in the golf the night before.

We arrived at the KOA at around 9:30pm just before they closed the front desk and just after a heavy rain. The slightly annoyed early 20's clerk was very specific in the way I should pull into my campsite and to NOT drive in the grass since it just rained. However, she didn't inform me of a drainage aquaduct type thing that ran through the edge of all the campsites in the row we were on. There wasn't running water in it, but it turns out it was very soft.

As I was turning sharply into the site, (it seemed like the wrong way to begin with) I sank the front wheels immediately. I tried to go back and forth a few times, but no luck and I didin't want to dig the ruts deeper. So I unhitched and luckily the scamp is light enough that we could muscle it back on the gravel road....then my wife pushed the back of the golf while I drove it away. Needless to say I was a little frustrated at this point and after re-hitching the trailer and backing it in the site from the opposite side....in the dark, we finally set up camp and went to sleep. As there was no other way out, I'm sure the clerk will be excited to see two nice little skid marks on the grass. :)

ruts

20140813_082527 by DerekG710, on Flickr

tracks lol

IMG_0904 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_0912 by DerekG710, on Flickr

pic of the camp site.....appears as though they recently built onto the campground and these we not quite finished.

IMG_0905 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
So like it said before, Craters of the Moon was very cool. I would say it's probably underrated considering how many people I've talked to had never heard of it. Admittedly as we were driving to the park the thought crossed my mind that it would be a quick look at a few lava rocks and not much else.......I was very wrong and I'm so glad we took 5 hours or so to stop and explore the park.

They had a very nice looking sign

IMG_0918 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Here is a view from google of the lava flow.

Screen shot 2014-08-18 at 9.37.23 PM by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1032 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Spatter cone

IMG_1049 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1062 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Cinder cone

IMG_1002 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1089 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Cool looking rocks

IMG_0951 by DerekG710, on Flickr

IMG_1122 by DerekG710, on Flickr

a sea of lava