Transmission kicking the bucket?

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
99 Automatic 186k miles

Hello again,
(Already posted this in MK4 with no responses)

Today while driving home from work I had a weird occurrence when taking off from a stoplight. I was not flooring it or anything, but the car acted as if the clutch was slipping and then all of a sudden grabbed after just a moment, and even chirped the tires. It did it again after, and I can make it not do it by taking off more slowly than I normally do, but was unsure of the issue. No codes (other than emission of course) so I’m kinda stumped. If it was a manual I would compare the feeling to clutch dumping but since it’s an automatic I’m not sure where to start. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have zero experience with the auto transmissions in the MK4s.

That said, has the fluid ever been changed? The solenoids may be sticking and then suddenly releasing.
Hopefully, those with experience will chime in.

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
I have zero experience with the auto transmissions in the MK4s.

That said, has the fluid ever been changed? The solenoids may be sticking and then suddenly releasing.
Hopefully, those with experience will chime in.
Supposedly PO did, also said he took the pan off the bottom and saw no shavings or anything, just taking his word for it. Fluid swap might be a good spot for me to start at least, thanks for your reply.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Have you checked to see if it’s serviced correctly?
If your low on fluid it will cause issues.
There is a special way to see if serviced correctly.
If I remember correctly car must be level and trans brought up to a specific temp , Vcds will help with this but you can use an infrared gun….I’m not sure of the temp but I’m sure someone will add it.
You then remove the center fill plug at the correct temp and if serviced correctly it will dribble out , if not then you need to break off the fill port and add oil till it dribbles out .
Then you need to get a new fill plug cap.
If you have a Bentley service manual it will be in there.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done it , when my auto crapped out I did the conversion to manual……that was about 18 years ago.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've only changed fluid in one 01M automatic transmission. It was a 99 or 2000 New Beetle TDI that belonged to the daughter of a friend of mine. He bought it for her at about 120k miles, if I remember correctly. It had about 140k when I did a TB job (first one for it). Anyway, at 320k miles, he asked me about changing the transmission fluid. I asked him if it ever been changed. He said not since he bought it. He was correct because the fill tube had never been broken or someone put a new one on it.

Anyway, I changed it again at about 325k miles. His thought was to flush it. They traded the car off at a little over 400k miles.

I do not remember any stand-pipe style tube inside the drain or the pan. I removed the pan at both changes. I just do not remember.

Ironically, reading in the Bentley just now, it says "lifetime fill, no change required." Seems I put in almost 5 quarts. The Bentley says the initial fill is 5.8 quarts but doesn't say that amount includes filling the torque converter.

I have not done any service to an 09A. I am not sure when it was introduced, but I think beginning with the 04 models.

I have changed the fluid in the 6-speed DSG transmission in my 2011 VW Tiguan with a 2.0 gasser engine at 70.002 miles.

I followed the recommended procedure: 1, drained the fluid by removing the outer plug and then the inner threaded tube. 2. I removed the pan, 3. removed the screen..... then, re-installed everything. Then, I put in 4.5 quarts of fluid and started the engine. With wheels off the floor and engine idling, I shifted to Neutral, then to Drive, back to Neutral and then to Reverse and finally back to Park. I let the engine warm-up to the specified temp observing with my VCDS. Once it got to the proper temp, I removed the outer plug and with the engine idling observed the draining that eventually went to just dripping. At that point, I considered it full.

Then, about 64,003 miles later (about 6 weeks ago), I changed it again, including a new screen. But, this time, I caught every drop of oil. I measured it and then put in the exact amount without doing all the engine warm, etc. It has performed flawlessly. It has never leaked fluid. I got the idea of not following "protocol" with the change process from one of the Gurus/Vendors.

So, that is my experience with modern VW automatic transmissions. I have successfully rebuilt two 010 VW automatic transmissions for the gasser Rabbits and Jettas... really a piece of cake if you have the tools, work place and a service manual.

Oh, I did change the fluid in my friend's 2012 Jetta which has basically the same transmission as my Tiguan.