Toronto Attendees at Fest?

**DONOTDELETE**

Perhaps we could get a list of things to buy in the US and install on the cars, to take advantage of free shipping/lack of doodies/taxes!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Originally posted by je:
Perhaps we could get a list of things to buy in the US and install on the cars, to take advantage of free shipping/lack of doodies/taxes!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm game for this, unfortunately I will be arriving in Grand Rapids Thursday night so I won't be part of the convoy...

[ July 31, 2002, 20:10: Message edited by: VW Derf ]

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I'm going to the fest but I'm thinking of leaving around noon (I live east of T.O.) on Friday to get into Grand Rapids around 7:00pm.

What time was everyone thinking of leaving?

**DONOTDELETE**

How long is the drive? About 9 or 10 hours? Chicago is 12, Saginaw is 8. You'd have to leave about 9:00AM!

Are there any ride-alongs?

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Mapquest says about 6 1/2 hours from where I live. I've found mapquest to be pretty accurate in the past. I won't have to stop for fuel - just bio-breaks (not biodiesel!).

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Gents, My AAA Map'n Go software says it's 404 miles for a trip time of just over 6 hours. That's routing through Sarnia, Flint and East Lansing. My wife and I are going to try to head out on Thursday after work and get a few hours down the road...got to allow for "traps" along the way that take up time like border crossings and outlet malls.

**DONOTDELETE**

Try to distract her attention from the outlet malls in Flint on your left hand side.

Hope she isn't reading this.

Again, roll call for Riders?? Puhaps I be one.(?)

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friendly gathering tonight, and don't know what time I'm leaving for that either.

Maybe about 10:00 or 11:00. I live right about by the Scarborough Town Centre so I'll save about 30 minutes from your time. I should really register for that thing since it's looking like I'll be going. You know, if I don't take my car, I can ride with someone else... I know the gal won't want to go.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Originally posted by je:
I have a friendly gathering tonight, and don't know what time I'm leaving for that either.
<snip>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's pretty funny! I was thinking I might be revising my departure time to about 9:00 or 10:00 but I have to finalize my plan.

**DONOTDELETE**

What are the advantages to passenging as compared to driving one's own carrocho?

I'm considering maybe doing some cross-border smuggling, so what, besides a sway bar, could be put on the car sans souci?

Ive got:</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Energy engine mount</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sway bar</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">stereo (if you wanted)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">tires</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">wheels</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">seven pants, shirts and sweaters (don't wear them all crossing the border)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">floor mats</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">trunk mat to carry stuff and cover the biodiesel spill</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dust/Pollen Hepa filters ($18.75 at vwparts.com)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oil filters ($6.88 at vwparts.com)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Delvac 1 (oops, we can get that at any Wal-Mart
)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fuel filters </font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Air filters (or get a Pipercross drop-in, or a Viper)</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the trunk VW logo the god damned neighbor's kid stole</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sunglass holder</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">E-code headlights</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HID headlights</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">boost gauge</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">boost gauge cup</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jeri Ryan</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">electronic boost gauge from Summit Racing, cut up and put in the dash somewhere.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Colin Mochrie</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ceramic figurines</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">authentic American beers, like Budweiser and Miller Lite.
</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ August 15, 2002, 21:23: Message edited by: je ]

**DONOTDELETE**

Do we know if there will be TDI maintenance happening there? Like intercooler cleaning, boost gauge adding, that kind? Maybe there's a better thread in which to ask.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
I'm trying to coordinate an intake cleaning demo for the Jetta. I've never done it so I'm trying to get someone to walk me through it while everyone else is watchin' and learnin'.

mjbach

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Suds: Don't mean to nose in here but saw your post. My husband and I did our Golf's intake cleaning two weeks ago but I am not sure if it is the same on a Jetta. We have lots of spray carb cleaner if you want us to bring it along to the fest for the cleaning. Do you have all the tools, etc., gathered? Let me know if you need any items. Mary

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Thanks mj! I have to look at the FAQ to see if i have all the tools and I'll get back to you. I appreciate the offer and may need to take you up on that. I'll e-mail you directly to let you know.

Thanks again!

mjbach

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Suds: Having a quantity of solvent and a metal pan to soak the intake in while you are cleaning the EGR helps. It's a dirty job so be dressed for it and have lots of hand cleaning stuff on hand. I used steel wool on the EGR and lots of scraping tools and air pressure. The torque wrench is difficult to get in there and some twine for tying up the radiator hoses is nice. We tried to remove as little as possible and had the gaskets on hand-- we didn't need them. We'll bring them along in case you do. Let me know if you need a metal pan.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I plan on leaving Erie, Pennsylvania early on Friday afternoon. Haven't decided whether I'll drive through Canada or take I-90 through to Toledo and then north to Michigan via US-23/I-75.

If I go through Canada I'll probably reach the 403/QEW interchange in Hamilton @ around 15:00, 403/401 @ Woodstock at 15:45.

It's a bit shorter to Grand Rapids by taking the 402 @ London to Sarnia, then I-69 Port Huron to Lansing, I-96 Lansing to GR rather than going via Windsor/Detroit. However, there is a convoy going up from Metro Detroit, and my roomie at the Hilton is among them.

If our schedules coincide, I'll drive with you guys. It adds about 2 hours driving time and two border crossings for me, though

I know probably the route in Michigan better than any of you Canucks
We can meet with the Metro Detroit/Southeast Michigan convoy somewhere along I-69/I-96.

[ August 23, 2002, 06:58: Message edited by: TDIMeister ]

**DONOTDELETE**

Why? It's 1.5 hours from Erie to Buffalo and 6 hours from there. Through Cleveland is a lot shorter, about 4 hours, plus you'll get to stop at home.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Why? `Cuz I like you guys
And, "home" is London, Ontario in the True North Strong and Free!