Top 10 Cool Things you probably don't know about these cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
But which VW should make more of a point of telling you about because you have a superior vehicle...

Cool Feature #10: The car has Smart Windshield Wipers. Each time you shut off the ignition, the wipers readjust their position slightly so that the rubber blades don't take a "set" and are less likely to develop a squealing problem. Also, you can put the wipers into the "service" position when you shut the engine off and the key is in the ignition by pulling the wiper control stalk down to the manual-intermittent position. Then you can lift the arms up without scraping the hood, with the hood either closed or open. Also on the wagon, if it's raining and you put the car in reverse, the rear wiper will automatically clear the rear window for you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is 5 year old news. But a cool feature, nonetheless.

Some of that is annoying though. Like the windows that 'dip' on some models (NB 'verts, for instance) every single time you open the door(s). Like VAG power window regs are not crappy enough, now they force them to be used constantly. Great. :rolleyes:

Or the sideview mirrors that dip down when you put it in reverse, so you can see the curb that is not there, but can NOT see the person/car/object behind you that IS there. :p

Or the radio volume that adjusts with speed... so when the car is stopped idling, the volume is low and the volume increases as the car speeds up. Which is great, except that in the B5 TDI, the car is actually QUIETER once under way than it is sitting still, so you have to constantly fuss with the knob yourself. :cool:

Luckily, most of these "features" can be turned off, or others can be turned on that were not normally set that way. But you need to search those abilities out on the internet, since the dealers won't have a clue to any of them. :mad:

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Moderators, if you feel everyone here is as smart as oilhammer and other sarcastic responders, PLEASE delete these Top 10 threads. Thank you.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Yes, I vote to delete these threads. No disrespect, Eugene, but these are documented in various stickies and threads, plus the owners' manuals.

Appreciate your intentions and at least I'm happy you didn't write a new HPFP thread!

JSWTDIPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Moderators, if you feel everyone here is as smart as oilhammer and other sarcastic responders, PLEASE delete these Top 10 threads. Thank you.
Seriously man? 1) You are posting searchable stuff. 2) You are starting a multiple threads for what is equivalent of a "top ten list" which you could post all in one thread. 3) You are being disrespectful to some of they guys who have been on these forums a lot longer than you.

Mind some p's & q's and relax a little Eugene.

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
(takes a deep breath)

No disrespect was intended. In fact for some reason I'm feeling dis'd. *sniff* All I was trying to do is put a fun list of factoids together in a single thread that might attract the attention of new TDI owners and be a quick source of useful info for them that they might not already know or have the time to research.

My very bad. MODERATORS PLEASE MAKE THESE THREADS GO AWAY.

Apologies to everyone.

JSWTDIPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
If you'd like to put them on one thread, feel free to. We just saw multiple thread starters for the same idea.

Also, don't go running to the moderators if you don't like someones response. You have a right to your own opinion so back it up! If you want to start something, be ready to defend it and not run away.

Have fun with the boards! I personally like to hear everyones opinion!

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Personally, I like the graduated turn signal volume and thought it was kinda neat when I first noticed it getting "quieter" as I slowed down and came to a stop.

I also like the driver's seat commode option, which comes in handy since you can go so far on a single tank, making bathroom stops on long trips unnecessary. I only wish they offered it for the passenger seats as well...

XaqNautilus

TDI
None, '98 Acura 1.6 EL
Here is more than 10 things you don't know about your car.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=112215

Bill
Thanks Bill

It would have been nice if one of these ornery old TDIClub members had posted this before they got in their stupid pissing contest. Do the original posters really care about getting credit about this stuff or do they care more that the wisdom is shared. I really hope it is the latter because that makes you wise and generous, not petty and childish like the posts I see here. It's not like theirs money on the line with this "credit."

bora2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5-speed; 2009 Jetta TDI 6-spd; 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen; 2015 Golf TDI SE - Manual 6spd; 2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks Bill

It would have been nice if one of these ornery old TDIClub members had posted this before they got in their stupid pissing contest. Do the original posters really care about getting credit about this stuff or do they care more that the wisdom is shared. I really hope it is the latter because that makes you wise and generous, not petty and childish like the posts I see here. It's not like theirs money on the line with this "credit."

x2!!! Personally, I liked the OP's idea. Just because an item has been posted once doesn't mean it's not a great idea! Kind of like reminiscing! The Board may pick-up new info and ideas from people who don't remember the Beginning of Times. :)

mgj2727

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI & 2013 Passat TDI SEL PREM
I like seeing these top 10 (all in one posting). I just got a 2010 jsw tdi, and this is also my first VW, so it's all new to me

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
These new cars are related to the 2005.5 (although less related with each passing year) and so you new guys should read the A5/MKV forums a bit to catch up. There ARE discrepancies, so take what you read with a grain of salt and check the facts out yourself.

Lots of goodies discussed over there the last few years, both real and imagined!

Bill

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
But which VW should make more of a point of telling you about because you have a superior vehicle...

Cool Feature #10: The car has Smart Windshield Wipers. Each time you shut off the ignition, the wipers readjust their position slightly so that the rubber blades don't take a "set" and are less likely to develop a squealing problem. Also, you can put the wipers into the "service" position when you shut the engine off and the key is in the ignition by pulling the wiper control stalk down to the manual-intermittent position. Then you can lift the arms up without scraping the hood, with the hood either closed or open. Also on the wagon, if it's raining and you put the car in reverse, the rear wiper will automatically clear the rear window for you.

I like all those features. Its the little things that I really enjoy about owning a VW. Things like the "smart windshield wipers" feature.
I'm afraid VW might remove most of this stuff out in the 2011 Jetta sedan. These features are what make the VW unique for a non-premium car. I hope VW don't lose that uniqueness in their quest to make their cars more "American" for the US market.:confused:

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
This is my first VW too, and I was looking forward to this thread. Seems there are a lot of veterans in a bad mood...:rolleyes:

I don't read my manual because it doesn't make sense. What I've learned I got from this great forum. And as a new VW owner, I am thoroughly impressed with the unique design features that went into this fine car.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
This is my first VW too, and I was looking forward to this thread. Seems there are a lot of veterans in a bad mood...:rolleyes:
I don't read my manual because it doesn't make sense. What I've learned I got from this great forum. And as a new VW owner, I am thoroughly impressed with the unique design features that went into this fine car.

You are blaming the manual??

Unbelievable.:eek:

Bill

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
Bill, you must be one of those folks in a bad mood I was referring to...

The manual is generic and lacks specific details. MOST of the important things I've learned about this car have been on this forum. Is that a problem for you?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

The manual is generic and lacks specific details. MOST of the important things I've learned about this car have been on this forum. Is that a problem for you?

Not really a problem for me as much as it may be for you. People around here have in the past taken a dim view of members that refuse to do their own homework. Once a member has done the best they can on their own, they post here for advanced help, and they get it in spades.:)

You should keep in mind that the rest of us learned the details of these cars by reading the owners manual as well as buying and studying the service manuals and self study courses.

Bad mouthing the manual discourages newbies from reading it, and it is quite important that everyone does read and understand it to the very best of their ability...:cool:

Are we good?

Bill

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan

The manual for the 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan is hardly 'generic' IMO, I found it very informative and specific for this make/model, including the insert for my RCD-510. Did you actually read it?

All the little details, for instance, the windshield wiper's going to the next slower setting when stopped, the auto wiper exercise after turning off key, each press of 'accel/coast' button on cruise increases/decrease speed by 1 mph, grocery bag hanger in the trunk, etc.

Personally, I find it one the most informative car manuals I've seen. RTFM :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.