To buy a Jetta 2006 or 2010 or any 2011-2015?

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Ok. I know there have been pro's and con's on the three differing year category's 2006, 2009-2010, and 2011-2015 .You may have divided this differently or oftener, or older models (I have a 2001 and love it) Here is where I cut it for now, and it would be helpful for us who are looking to buy a good used Jetta to know in point form what those are without searching and reading till weariness. ( I know I'm lazy) So.... If you were on the market for another Jetta from 2006 and newer what has VW done? Without going off on any rant what are the 1. 2. 3. ????????? In your experience? Please keep it brief and to the point. Thanks.;)

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I love these questions! Lets start off:

2005.5-2007 is a BRM 1.9 TDI. 100hp / 177 ft/lbs of torque
-Slight changes from the previous BEW(2004-2005.0) but no real power increase, just mainly emission decreases, and a more efficient turbo.
-All BRM TDI's are plagued with bad camshafts, they will need to be replaced along with all the lifters at one point, so make sure that is done, or make it be reflected in the price.
-EGR valve leaks are common as well, a notable hissing noise at idle and especially when the engine is under load. If you send it to a shop it'll be a roughly $900 fix
-Otherwise, bulletproof engines
-A little lacking on power at higher speeds

2009-2014(CR EA189 2.0L TDI) 140hp / 236 ft/lbs of torque
-These engines are all the same across the board from '09 to '14.
-High Pressure Fuel Pump issues are the main concern, a difficult DIY once it fails, VW charges around $7,000+ to fix as the injectors, the tank, lines etc need to be replaced. It can go at anytime, usually within warranty as premature failure is common. Some members have 200k+ with the original HPFP, but some also have 20k and have had theirs replaced already. The 2009-2010(MK5) years were the most notorious for these failures, VW seemed to have ironed the issues out at around 2013, however some still do fail on the newer cars
-*Water in intercooler*, removing the bellypan and loosening the clamp on the inlet side of the intercooler hose may reveal water dumping out. VW has many TSB's for this issue, but won't perform one unless you're having troubles. This is caused from condensation building in the EGR, then dribbling down to the intercooler. This can cause something as little as a stumble in idle or driving, or something as serious as catastrophic engine damage when it hydrolocks(depends on the amount of water). Many members report a spirited highway drive clears water out.
-Super easy to start in the cold and are very quiet, much more so than the BRM.
-DPF's do steal fuel economy and performance to lower emissions. Once removed, up to 10mpg increases are possible. DPF's can last up to 200k miles. Ash builds up when soot is burned off, and enough collects and can't be removed, therefore the DPF needs to be replaced. If you don't live in a CARB area, REMOVE IT! Your engine will thank you big time!

2015-Present(CR EA288 2.0L TDI) 150hp / 236 ft/lbs of torque
-This is the first year of AdBlue(Urea), refill intervals are every oil change(10k miles)
-Based on the outgoing EA189, there are minor differences such as lower emissions thanks to the AdBlue system and a dual loop EGR system, more power due to software tweaks, lower internal friction for better economy.
-This engine is better on fuel than the EA189, but the fuel savings are offset by the cost of the DEF.
-Too new to tell if the EA189's common problems carry over

That's pretty much the main differences and common faults. Some things are left out, but this is what to look out for. The 1.9 BRM TDI will be lower cost to run, is slightly better on fuel, and is more reliable than the 2.0L TDI's, but they are more of a hassle to start in the cold, much louder at idle, and much less power. They do feel lethargic at highway speeds to be honest. The 2.0L TDI's are fantastic engines and are very flexible, but do have expensive common problems.

It all comes down to this: Do you want slightly better mpg and less common problems, or do you want more power and more refinement?

I love both. My sister has a 2006 BRM with 330k miles. It's been awesome and she's owned it since new. She's replaced the EGR system and will be needing a cam soon. I have a 2013 Jetta TDI. I love the power and the refinement. My sister says she noticed a big difference in power, and fuel economy is almost the same as hers. If I were you, I'd buy a 2014 Jetta TDI. It's the most updated EA189 TDI and has IRS as well as other upgrades from previous Jettas, as well as it will have a longer warranty than the older cars, so if the HPFP fails, you'll be covered for a long time. It's definitely the best year for the EA189! Happy shopping!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
BC7 covered this really well from the powertrain perspective. As for other features, from 2009 on, the TDI's include a 1 KW electric heater to help warm up the cabin until the engine gets warm enough to do so. The seat heaters help the front occupants in all these models, but from 2009 on, you can also keep your windshield free of frost/fog if you live in an area prone to that.

As for tires, the newer models usually will fit larger tires, so you can typically find ones on sale that fit your car. Older cars do not enjoy this benefit so much. agreeably, the larger tire will take a hit on your fuel usage, but if fuel prices remain low for a few years, it's less of a hit.

Lastly, in case of collision, you're less likely to "total out" a newer model due only to the price the auto traders deem your car to be worth on the open market.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
I love these questions! Lets start off:
2005.5-2007 is a BRM 1.9 TDI. 100hp / 177 ft/lbs of torque
-Slight changes from the previous BEW(2004-2005.0) but no real power increase, just mainly emission decreases, and a more efficient turbo.
-All BRM TDI's are plagued with bad camshafts, they will need to be replaced along with all the lifters at one point, so make sure that is done, or make it be reflected in the price.
-EGR valve leaks are common as well, a notable hissing noise at idle and especially when the engine is under load. If you send it to a shop it'll be a roughly $900 fix
-Otherwise, bulletproof engines
-A little lacking on power at higher speeds
2009-2014(CR EA189 2.0L TDI) 140hp / 236 ft/lbs of torque
-These engines are all the same across the board from '09 to '14.
-High Pressure Fuel Pump issues are the main concern, a difficult DIY once it fails, VW charges around $7,000+ to fix as the injectors, the tank, lines etc need to be replaced. It can go at anytime, usually within warranty as premature failure is common. Some members have 200k+ with the original HPFP, but some also have 20k and have had theirs replaced already. The 2009-2010(MK5) years were the most notorious for these failures, VW seemed to have ironed the issues out at around 2013, however some still do fail on the newer cars
-*Water in intercooler*, removing the bellypan and loosening the clamp on the inlet side of the intercooler hose may reveal water dumping out. VW has many TSB's for this issue, but won't perform one unless you're having troubles. This is caused from condensation building in the EGR, then dribbling down to the intercooler. This can cause something as little as a stumble in idle or driving, or something as serious as catastrophic engine damage when it hydrolocks(depends on the amount of water). Many members report a spirited highway drive clears water out.
-Super easy to start in the cold and are very quiet, much more so than the BRM.
-DPF's do steal fuel economy and performance to lower emissions. Once removed, up to 10mpg increases are possible. DPF's can last up to 200k miles. Ash builds up when soot is burned off, and enough collects and can't be removed, therefore the DPF needs to be replaced. If you don't live in a CARB area, REMOVE IT! Your engine will thank you big time!
2015-Present(CR EA288 2.0L TDI) 150hp / 236 ft/lbs of torque
-This is the first year of AdBlue(Urea), refill intervals are every oil change(10k miles)
-Based on the outgoing EA189, there are minor differences such as lower emissions thanks to the AdBlue system and a dual loop EGR system, more power due to software tweaks, lower internal friction for better economy.
-This engine is better on fuel than the EA189, but the fuel savings are offset by the cost of the DEF.
-Too new to tell if the EA189's common problems carry over
That's pretty much the main differences and common faults. Some things are left out, but this is what to look out for. The 1.9 BRM TDI will be lower cost to run, is slightly better on fuel, and is more reliable than the 2.0L TDI's, but they are more of a hassle to start in the cold, much louder at idle, and much less power. They do feel lethargic at highway speeds to be honest. The 2.0L TDI's are fantastic engines and are very flexible, but do have expensive common problems.
It all comes down to this: Do you want slightly better mpg and less common problems, or do you want more power and more refinement?
I love both. My sister has a 2006 BRM with 330k miles. It's been awesome and she's owned it since new. She's replaced the EGR system and will be needing a cam soon. I have a 2013 Jetta TDI. I love the power and the refinement. My sister says she noticed a big difference in power, and fuel economy is almost the same as hers. If I were you, I'd buy a 2014 Jetta TDI. It's the most updated EA189 TDI and has IRS as well as other upgrades from previous Jettas, as well as it will have a longer warranty than the older cars, so if the HPFP fails, you'll be covered for a long time. It's definitely the best year for the EA189! Happy shopping!
Wow nice informative reply..... Helpful:D

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Very nice write-up. What transmission does the OP prefer, auto or manual?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
^^ Good point about the transmissions. OP: The 2005.5-2007 1.9TDI is a five speed manual or 6 speed DSG automatic. This was the first generation of the dual clutch transmission in North America for VW cars, but there aren't really any first year problems with them, that I'm aware of. The 2009-Present 2.0L TDI's are a 6speed manual and 6 speed DSG. One notable thing, the DSG's are much costlier to maintain than the manuals thanks to DSG fluid needing to be changed every 40,000 miles. You can DIY it, but finding fluid and filters may be tricky, depending on where you live, the dealer wants an insane amount of money for parts and for them to provide the service.

I'd highly recommend the manuals since they are cheap to maintain(change fluid every 100k) and get you better fuel economy, especially on the highway. The DSG cars will have quicker acceleration due to their insanely fast and seamless shifts. They are an amazing transmission, to say the least.

Both transmissions from 2005.5 and on have Dual Mass Flywheels. They are known to go bad, not necessarily from high mileage. A clunking or rattling noise coming from the bottom of the car when idling is a dead giveaway it's bad, so the DMF will have to be replaced. Warranty will cover it, if you're under it of course!

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
-*Water in intercooler*, removing the bellypan and loosening the clamp on the inlet side of the intercooler hose may reveal water dumping out.
Actually, it is the outlet side of the intercooler where the water will accumulate, as that is the cold side of the intercooler (water condenses as the air that carries it is cooled). I have disconnected and cleaned both sides of the intercooler a couple of times (with every oil change), but the only thing I see on the inlet side is small amount of engine oil.

It is also worth mentioning that there are significant changes in the chassis design starting with model year 2011. Until 2010, the vehicles had fully independent suspension, disc brakes all around, and amenities such as gas-charged lifters for both the engine hood and the trunk, to name just a few. Starting with MY 2011, VW eliminated many of these features as a part of their big push to cut manufacturing costs so as to be more competitive with other car makers. So, since 2011, the rear axle no longer has independent suspension, or disc brakes (yes, it comes with drums now), and the gas-charged lifters are gone from both the trunk and the engine hood. These are changes I know were implemented in the gassers, but I do not know if or which of these changes made it into the diesel models.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Actually, it is the outlet side of the intercooler where the water will accumulate, as that is the cold side of the intercooler (water condenses as the air that carries it is cooled). I have disconnected and cleaned both sides of the intercooler a couple of times (with every oil change), but the only thing I see on the inlet side is small amount of engine oil.
It is also worth mentioning that there are significant changes in the chassis design starting with model year 2011. Until 2010, the vehicles had fully independent suspension, disc brakes all around, and amenities such as gas-charged lifters for both the engine hood and the trunk, to name just a few. Starting with MY 2011, VW eliminated many of these features as a part of their big push to cut manufacturing costs so as to be more competitive with other car makers. So, since 2011, the rear axle no longer has independent suspension, or disc brakes (yes, it comes with drums now), and the gas-charged lifters are gone from both the trunk and the engine hood. These are changes I know were implemented in the gassers, but I do not know if or which of these changes made it into the diesel models.
Maybe I mixed up the intercooler sides, but it is good to check both sides. Also in 2011, it was the only year for drum brakes on S and SE models. After that, they nixed them. IRS returned for 2014 and newer. It had no effect if it was a diesel or not, only on the 2015 Golf, the IRS is swapped for a torsion beam. 2009 and 2010 were the first year of the 2.0L TDI, and they were the most problematic. I was told to avoid them. I really wanted a mk5 2.0L TDI but all VW techs said it'd be a money pit and I'd be better off with a 2013 and newer car. That's exactly what I did.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2005.5-2007 1.9TDI is a five speed manual or 6 speed DSG automatic. This was the first generation of the dual clutch transmission in North America for VW cars
No it wasn't. Some 2004 A4 platform cars got the DSG. The New Beetle TDI and the Audi TT 3.2. ;)

But, the 02E DSG really has not changed a whole lot. They do work better now (smoother) but that is mostly a software improvement, the actual mechanicals are pretty much the same. They are a pretty reliable transmission for the most part, but if something does break, it is not cheap to fix.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you decide to go with one of the newer common rail tdi's , I would probably avoid the '09 MY. It has the CBEA engine and seems to have the worst hpfp issues. The CBEA engine also has a weaker oil pump drive than the CJAA. The '09 manual trans., and all DSG cars have lower gearing which translates into less mpg's.

Last edited:

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice write-up. What transmission does the OP prefer, auto or manual?
Thanks for the question... I did not clearly state.The above comments are informative. I personally prefer the Stick, my wife the auto.( Forget about bashing my wife, or telling me to train her etc. We would both be driving , so probably a DSG with it's extra upkeep) Thanks for the heads up on the extra cost upkeep needed.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Doing the DSG service yourself with the drain and fill method is simple and not that expensive. Took like 45 minutes the first time while drinking beer.

oilhammer

TDI
And the New Beetle IS a Volkswagen last I checked. I have two in my driveway let me go check again..

I corrected you, no need to be snarky. I only mention it primarily because the poor BEW New Beetle seems to always get left out of the DSG discussion, and it does have the honor of being the very first VOLKSWAGEN sold in the USA equipped with one as the automatic transmission option. They were in dealer showrooms a whole year and a half before the BRM Jettas showed up. Happy New Year! :)

Last edited:

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
And the New Beetle IS a Volkswagen last I checked. I have two in my driveway let me go check again..

I corrected you, no need to be snarky. I only mention it primarily because the poor BEW New Beetle seems to always get left out of the DSG discussion, and it does have the honor of being the very first VOLKSWAGEN sold in the USA equipped with one as the automatic transmission option. They were in dealer showrooms a whole year and a half before the BRM Jettas showed up. Happy New Year! :)
I didn't know the BEW Beetle had a DSG. They must've not been available in Canada, since I've never heard of them. My bad, I apologize.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL

Independent suspension came back in 2014's. Wasn't aware of drum brakes (my 2012 and 2014 both have disc brakes all around). Gas lifters are missing on the hood, but not the trunk.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. Folks, I've been following this thread and gleaning a lot of helpful info as I begin looking for my next Jetta or Passat. (Passat differences have not really been addressed yet).

One other question I face is are these cars well able to tow? Pulling power is most likely not the issue since I wanna tow my A-liner (2000 #s) , but what about braking ability? I would love to take a west coast trip from Va. That is.:D Any good experiences by those who own them?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Ok. Folks, I've been following this thread and gleaning a lot of helpful info as I begin looking for my next Jetta or Passat. (Passat differences have not really been addressed yet).
One other question I face is are these cars well able to tow? Pulling power is most likely not the issue since I wanna tow my A-liner (2000 #s) , but what about braking ability? I would love to take a west coast trip from Va. That is.:D Any good experiences by those who own them?
Towing? These cars aren't built to tow, especially things over 2,000lbs. The owners manual in my mk6 says nothing over 1,300lbs with or without brakes. I've never even considered towing with a compact car, that's why I have a Ram pickup as well.

As for differences in the Passat, well to get a TDI on a newer model, the B7 starts at 2012. I'd avoid the '12 since they had lots of DEF issues at first and then 2013, they slightly contented it(lost dual zone climate at lower trims, lost rear vents etc), and then 2014 they brought it back. Like the Jetta, I'd get a 2014 Passat since most kinks are worked out.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Driving qualities: I now own a 2015 Jetta gasser and 2005 Passat wagon TDI. My Jetta has 3K miles, and what is clear now is that the front suspension makes a big difference between them! The Passat is rock steady at all speeds; the Jetta moves too much with minor steering movements, I mean really minor. This is starting to bug me more as time goes on.

I still view the Jetta as my backup car, so it doesn't matter too much to me. I would think there wouldn't be a great difference in price as you get older years. Worth checking them out.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Independent suspension came back in 2014's. Wasn't aware of drum brakes (my 2012 and 2014 both have disc brakes all around). Gas lifters are missing on the hood, but not the trunk.
Somebody mentioned here that the drum brakes were used only in MY 2011, and were abandoned afterwards. I am 100% positive the gas lifters were also gone on the hood and trunk for 2011. That was the first model year of Jetta with the updated sheet metal, and I recall clearly going to the dealership to check what they look like. While I was circling the car and saw the drums and the rear axle from the 70's, a salesman showed up and that's when I discovered the missing gas struts on the trunk. I suppose the "decontenting" of the car received so much bad press that VW decided to bring back some of the old features with the very next model year. Anyways, back then, I felt like I lucked out with my 2010 chassis design.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Somebody mentioned here that the drum brakes were used only in MY 2011, and were abandoned afterwards. I am 100% positive the gas lifters were also gone on the hood and trunk for 2011. That was the first model year of Jetta with the updated sheet metal, and I recall clearly going to the dealership to check what they look like. While I was circling the car and saw the drums and the rear axle from the 70's, a salesman showed up and that's when I discovered the missing gas struts on the trunk. I suppose the "decontenting" of the car received so much bad press that VW decided to bring back some of the old features with the very next model year. Anyways, back then, I felt like I lucked out with my 2010 chassis design.
Certain trim levels were given cheaper components, which is no surprise. I have no real complaints about how either of our Jettas were equipped. We just got lucky with the trim level in 2012 and the fact that the 2014 Value Edition had everything added back in that year.:)

I guess the bean counters are deciding what stays and what goes from year to year on the same platform. Did the trunk lids without gas struts have a rod similar to the hood?

I know many complained about the torsion beam rear suspension during the few years the multi-link wasn't available, but I can honestly say I don't notice much difference in handling or ride between the 2012 and 2014 (my wife says her 2012 rides better than my 2014, but she wouldn't have ever known they were different had I not told her).

oilhammer

TDI
2011+ NCS TDIs all got rear disk brakes, as did the 5 cyl gassers. Only the base S with the 115hp non-turbo 2.0L gas engine got drum brakes in the rear, and only for 2011-2013. 2014+, even the S got the rear disk brakes back, same year the IRS came back to all the models, previously only the GLI NCS got IRS.

There are LOTS of other things that were decontented on the NCS, much of it minor, and a lot of it beneath the skin that you will not necessarily ever see. But if you have one in the air and are poking around underneath, or have a door panel off, etc. you'll see the obvious differences. But again, this should come as no surprise, as the base MSRP also dropped quite a bit. They are not a "cheap" car really, they are just more akin to a Nissan Altima or something. Volkswagen simply did with these what a lot of other manufacturers have already done for the American market: cheaper and bigger. Civic, Accord, Corolla, Camry, and others have all gone this way.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Certain trim levels were given cheaper components, which is no surprise. I have no real complaints about how either of our Jettas were equipped. We just got lucky with the trim level in 2012 and the fact that the 2014 Value Edition had everything added back in that year.:)

I guess the bean counters are deciding what stays and what goes from year to year on the same platform. Did the trunk lids without gas struts have a rod similar to the hood?

I know many complained about the torsion beam rear suspension during the few years the multi-link wasn't available, but I can honestly say I don't notice much difference in handling or ride between the 2012 and 2014 (my wife says her 2012 rides better than my 2014, but she wouldn't have ever known they were different had I not told her).
The trunk lid was mounted on two semi-circular arms that were loaded with a spring. If my recollection is correct, popping the hood only released the lock, and the hood moved upwards only an inch or two. You had to lift the hood manually to gain access to the trunk. Once the lid was lifted certain distance, it then moved on its own the rest of the lid travel, courtesy of the spring. On the one hand, this design impaired the cargo volume somewhat due to possible interference of the semi-circular arms with the cargo, on the other hand, the absence of those gas lifters translated into unwavering reliability (the gas lifters on my 2010 Jetta needed to be replaced last fall after 6 years of service, at a cost of about $50).

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I could sacrifice the gas struts if the other design was more reliable. Our 2012 trunk strut is already getting weak.... won't open on it own or stay up very long.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't think its a big deal? I don't know since I heard it wrecks the DSG clutches and on a manual, you'll need to slip the clutch much more than usual, so it could wear that out right quick.
Thanks for all the concern. I listen to everyone's feel on this. I am certainly hoping to tow, if not with my TDI, then a truck. I've towed for the last 35 years and have always had several trailers. I don't care to jeapordize my investment.

Here's another twist... What about going to the v6 Touareg?:confused: