Timing belt what am I doing wrong?

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
Had to get a used motor for my 05 Passat, so I made sure it was timed and did the balance shaft delete. Got that all done, put new timing parts on (water pump, tensioner, idle pulley, and belt). When I go to turn motor over by hand there is a bind. I have timed the motor 4 times and ever time there is a bind. I'm lost and need advice. Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How did you time the belt? These are super easy and pretty much foolproof if done correctly.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Both cam lobes for cylinder 1 (closest to the passenger side) pointing up at TDC, locking pin all the way thru the cam sprocket into the hole in the head?

oilhammer

TDI
The BHW is a longitudinal PD engine, the valve cover never gets removed so you do not see the cam, and the #1 cyl is at the front, not the "side".

The crank lock tool is in place, the little pointer on it lines up with the pointer mark on the crank sprocket, the tab on the tool is in the slot on the sealing flange, the "sawtooth" mark on the outer cam sprocket is "up", and the cam pin in inserted through the left lower hole, through the cam hub, into the head. The three bolts for the outer cam sprocket are loose, you tension the belt, the cam sprocket moves slightly, turning the tensioner in the direction of the arrow and lock down the 15mm nut, then lock down the three cam sprocket bolts, and their adjustment should land fairly close to the middle.

All the above correct?

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
http://www.metalnerd.com/mobile/catalog/product/7e0069a2d1ad4d2e974753accef0af33 this is the tool I'm using for the crank and it doesn't have the pointer mark but going off of the instructions that came with it the crank is TDC. The pin for the cam is all the way in and the saw tooth hole on it is up. But when I put tension on the belt and lock it down the 3 bolts on the cam sprocket are almost all the way to the right in the groove they go threw.

oilhammer

TDI
Hmmmm... well I use the factory type crank TDC tool, so I cannot comment on that version as to if it is being used correctly.

I use the T0050:

1650913992762.png

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
I just ordered that style of tool but won't be here until Wednesday. Guess I'm going to remove head and turn bottom end over to rule out anything with the bsm delete.

oilhammer

TDI
Remove the head???

If you need to spin the crank, and you really want to make sure it is impossible for ANY of the valves at ANY time to be open, all you would need to do is remove the cam. Far easier than the whole head.

But I don't see how anything with the oil pump is causing this, that is pretty simple if you just deleted the BSM.

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
Ok pulled cam and turned crankshaft. It still binds twice per revolution. So at least I know it was not valves hitting the piston. So now tomorrow I'll take oil pan back off and see what's hitting. And just so it's known I did prime the oil pump as much as I could with motor upsidedown. Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate. This is my first foreign diesel. I know more about the Ford Powerstroke.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Are you sure it's not the compression you're feeling?

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
If it's from the compression it's not like any I have felt before. There is a sudden stop when turning crank bolt when going at a ( I guess) normal speed, but if you get right up to that point and go faster and forceful you can fill it brake through the bind. If that makes sense.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
If it's from the compression it's not like any I have felt before. There is a sudden stop when turning crank bolt when going at a ( I guess) normal speed, but if you get right up to that point and go faster and forceful you can fill it brake through the bind. If that makes sense.
I mean, it's a diesel, they do have high compression... Unless there's an issue that the engine had. Can you turn it past the resistance if you put force into it?

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
Yes it's like when you brake a bolt loose it's tight then goes. It does it twice for every turn of the crank.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yes it's like when you brake a bolt loose it's tight then goes. It does it twice for every turn of the crank.
Sounds to me like regular compression. It's pretty tight when it gets up to tdc. If the cam and crank lock, and it will turn, I'd send it.

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
I'd hate not taking the pan off again just for the peace of mind that it's all good. I've got enough money in this car already to trash another motor. When I bought the car the previous owner said he did all this work to the motor and it made it 3 hours before it drop a valve. So just to be sure I'm going to take pan off of this one again. I just want to make sure I did it right.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
Are you sure it's not the compression you're feeling?
Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this. I just did my timing belt and I know there was two spots during one full rotation of the top crank where it got really tough to move it. It eventually let’s go and it keeps turning smoothly. I know mine was compression. Sounds like he having the same thing.

Doc61529

TDI
2005 passat
Ok took glow plugs out no change. Took oil pan off. The bind happens only when the pistons are at full stroke.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ok took glow plugs out no change. Took oil pan off. The bind happens only when the pistons are at full stroke.
Back to something ain't right...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Look into the holes with a scope. I bet you somone left a rag in there!