Timing Belt Job Cost

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
What is the current Timing Belt Replacement Job cost approximately?

Thanks,

Curt

mxracer291

Vendor
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
Depends on who you have do it. I do them for $400 - $500 depending on the car. I see guys pay up to $900- $1000 pretty regularly. You can do it yourself for $200 - $300.

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
Thanks. I am having Matt in Redmond do it. He is well known on here.

Curt

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I pay around 600 from a guru, full kit from IDParts.

[now that I think about it, the last one may have been $650.]

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It all depends.

Lots of guys even here skip parts like bolts and some rollers. Usually dealer techs. Experience has shown me this over the past 13 years fixing half-arsed work.

You can get them cheap if done by a "friend" or a "backyard guy" but if something goes south what are you going to do? No insurance, no license, no way to pay for the damage or possibly many, many weeks without your car. I've seen backyard repaired cars come back WORSE after the "incident" because salvage yard parts were used of questionable age or mileage.

I'm not the cheapest but by far not the most expensive.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
It all depends.

Lots of guys even here skip parts like bolts and some rollers. Usually dealer techs. Experience has shown me this over the past 13 years fixing half-arsed work.

You can get them cheap if done by a "friend" or a "backyard guy" but if something goes south what are you going to do? No insurance, no license, no way to pay for the damage or possibly many, many weeks without your car. I've seen backyard repaired cars come back WORSE after the "incident" because salvage yard parts were used of questionable age or mileage.
I'm not the cheapest but by far not the most expensive.

I've seen so call guru's cut corners, rush jobs and cause expensive repairs myself, so let's not pretend it doesn't happen either, Just saying.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Matt will do a thorough job 4 you. Cost is likely to be on the higher side as things like tax, insurance, etc. will be factored in.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I've seen so call guru's cut corners, rush jobs and cause expensive repairs myself, so let's not pretend it doesn't happen either, Just saying.

Then they shouldn't be on the Guru list. Because they aren't.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
You are right, "so call guru's", aren't great. You know why? Because they are self proclaimed guru's, not real ones.

I agree with Jason, they shouldn't be on the list.

Problem is people find a mechanic shop that can change their oil, and the shop says they "know" how to work on TDI's. Next thing to you know their on the trusted mechanics list and people start calling them a guru. :rolleyes:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.......................Problem is people find a mechanic shop that can change their oil, and the shop says they "know" how to work on TDI's. Next thing to you know their on the trusted mechanics list and people start calling them a guru. :rolleyes:
Our moderators do make an attempt to screen the people who get added to the list. It's a tricky business.
I've always had a problem with the term guru. It means different things to different people.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
about $450. my mechanic charges $150 labor. I provide parts from ID parts. I never priced parts through him because i want to make sure i get the 100k mile kit and i buy in advance to spread the cost out.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Just to be clear, I believe the OP is talking about Matt @ Zahntech. If so, he is part owner and a long time contributor here on Fred's. I'm sure he will be charging shop rate for his efforts so the cost will likely be higher than a 'guru' working out of his garage. I've known Matt for several years and have every confidence he will do a proper job using all the correct parts, tools and methods. As a licensed and bonded business, his price may not be as inexpensive as some others but you also have the benefit of a warranty (in some form) and a bond posted in case things get completely out of sorts.

Several years ago, Matt helped me (aka did a significant amount of the work) swap out my 10mm for an 11mm at a GTG for free for which I am very grateful. Not every full-time mechanic would do that on their day off. l have every confidence he will do a good job if the OP decides to have him/Zahntech do his TB.

http://www.zahntechauto.com/

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Just because the term Guru is applied doesn't mean mistakes can't be made.
You are right, "so call guru's", aren't great. You know why? Because they are self proclaimed guru's, not real ones.

I agree with Jason, they shouldn't be on the list.

Problem is people find a mechanic shop that can change their oil, and the shop says they "know" how to work on TDI's. Next thing to you know their on the trusted mechanics list and people start calling them a guru. :rolleyes:
I'm talking about the all important TRUSTED TDI CLUB LIST. Now I agree there's some excellent mechanics here to choose from. We're all thankful for that, But like I said in my previous post, mistakes can happened and I firmly stand by that...

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
my "guru" owns his shop. basically charges $25/ hr (i dont get the friends and family discount). He used to work for the local VW garage and was their trained TDI tech. He left there an opened his own garage. He is the local "german car mechanic". so there are legit businesses that dont cost as much and do good work.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
my "guru" owns his shop. basically charges $25/ hr (i dont get the friends and family discount). He used to work for the local VW garage and was their trained TDI tech. He left there an opened his own garage. He is the local "german car mechanic". so there are legit businesses that dont cost as much and do good work.

$25.00 hr rate wow, he must be booked at least a couple yrs out huh ?

Bajan

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
A legit shop, brick and mortar building, not at home, with proper insurance? Damn!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
If by Guru list you mean the a Trusted Mechanics list, then this backyard mechanic has repaired two fairly major screw ups from people on that list.

If by Guru list you are referring to an actual list with the title 'Guru' in it, then you're playing on semantics. We all know what is meant when people say 'take it to a Guru'.

People are only human, but how you deal with your own screw ups defines you as a person.

25modelt

TDI
2006 Golf
First of all, the cost is region dependent, see the post from KAT90 up above, that is the only way you will get an accurate cost in your area . It doesn't matter who does it, a few things to check for: did all torx screws get replaced on the belly pan, and was the wiring harnesses properly rerouted along the coolant tank area. I had a great job done, but the small wiring harness was caught in the serpentine system a few days later. I bought the entire kit from a supplier recommended on this page.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I just paid $644. He is the only person who has worked on my car (after the dealer did the first one at 80k from the previous owner)

I'm over 340k miles, so he must be doing something right! Don't tell him, but I'd easily pay $750 just knowing it is done right.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
when i drive past his place and there is no less than 10 cars sitting outside the garage everytime. Ive only had him do my timing belt twice and i do the rest myself. the 1st time he charged me $125, but that was when he was doing it as a side job before ha owned his own garage.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I believe the majority of people myself included, will pay more for piece of mind. But when you get your car back and there's careless mistakes like the belly pan is loose or missing screws it's frustrating and shows sometimes lack of focus IMO.

Bajan