Timing Belt Inner Cover issues

unclenzo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I find myself with 2 issues and wondering the best way to deal with them.

1. I had the head flattened and now it is short compared to the cover. The bolt holes on sides that connect to the head do not line up. The Cam sprocket hole seems to line up low as well. I don't think it will rub on anything but it looks off center. I guess the machine shop took more material off the bottom than I had hoped for. Is this stuff to worry about? Will the other bolts hold it well enough?

2. The little guard that protrudes above the water pump snapped off when I was removing the old water pump. What purpose does it serve? The rest of the cover looks to be in good shape. Is this a big deal? Will the car be ok without it? I circled the guard in red below.

I know some vendors sell these covers for about $70 but I am way over budget on this project.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I've seen many of these inner covers with that guard missing. I would motor on.

if the bolts don't line up with the holes due to your machine shop taking material off the head, I would massage the holes in the guard with a file or dremel tool.

4ME+N02

TDI
2002 JETTA
I replaced my inner timing belt cover on 2002 Jetta because of some damage. Even with a new inner cover on all original head, many of the bolt holes and accessory openings did not line up. As you know, once the 3 IP bolts go through the cover there is little wiggle room. I used a grinding tool and made it work...that was over 10k miles ago.

Just make sure nothing is rubbing and I think you should be good to go.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
They had to have taken off quite the amount of material to get the cover not to fit.

Are you sure there isn't something keeping the cover from dropping down all the way?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
They had to have taken off quite the amount of material to get the cover not to fit.

Are you sure there isn't something keeping the cover from dropping down all the way?
Exactly. I can't imagine being able to remove enough off the head surface to make a difference on that cover not fitting. Or not being able to figure out how to make the holes bigger.

unclenzo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

Exactly. I can't imagine being able to remove enough off the head surface to make a difference on that cover not fitting. Or not being able to figure out how to make the holes bigger.
You guys were spot on. I misaligned the bottom. DOH! I was pretty shocked that they could take that much off the head. Looks like they didin't. That is what I get for installing parts at dusk. When it is tucked in the Front seal bracket right, it lines up pretty good now.