Timing belt change--help requested.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
I have one of the 'miss labeled' timing belt tensioners. Due to the diligence of Harv I have on the way to my house a new belt, tensioner, and assorted parts to replace the miss labeled tensioner, however, the very competent person that did the original TB change is no longer doing such work. I have been in contact with a shop a couple of hours from here that would do the work, but it appears their schedule and mine don't mesh very well.

I had been intending to take a trip from here in Twosun, AZ to La Crosse, WI over the Christmas holiday, but due to having the wrong tensioner I was a bit nervous about driving almost 5,000 miles (with side trips) over the holidays. I have been informed that I should be OK, but I have decided I could make a side trip to get the belt changed by a competent TDI club member. To that end, I can get just about anywhere between AZ and TX, as far North as WY and as far east as WI, IL, MO, IA, etc. It would be nothing to bend my trip to some other location within that large chunk in the center of the country and should only take half a day or so to accomplish once there.

Anyone interested in giving me a hand? I will of course pay for the work...and if the funds hold up I might be interested in getting bigger injectors done at the same time. (This would imply that the person helping me has access to larger injectors in one of these states I would be traveling.)

If anyone might be interested in helping or has a better idea for me please feel free to contact me via PM, email, or phone call.
Email: mekleven AT aol.com
Phone: 520-730-4551
Dates are a bit open, but could be between 23DEC and 2JAN.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

YMMV

Mike

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Try Deafbug in MN(WI) or Oilhammer in St. Louis Mo.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Lacrosse is only about two hours south from where i live. I am not going anywhere for the holidays (except to the Packer-Viking game) so I can load up my car and drive to where you are then replace your belt while you are with your family. Then I can be home the same day. Just be sure to bring the parts with you. And the check cashed that you got. Email me if you are interested.

I can do the injectors if you have them. I said injectors not nozzles.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Come on up to Boise!!!

I got a place where you can stay no charge and we can get it done at the onset of your trip in a couple hours.

Drop an email if shooting north is an option.

By the way I am about 2 hours north of I-80 so this wont divert you too much north.

DB

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
You guys rock.....
I will be contacting a few of you, but Boise is looking pretty good for me. The offer to run down to LSE is pretty decent also. I will be giving over the check that is being supplied for the repair work.....I will make sure it's in cash for the one that helps me.

Thank you for the swift replies...it is greatly appreciated. I also see my cell has a message....someone must have called me about the TB change. (It's out of state and a number I don't recognize.....hehehe)

Thanks again and I'll be in touch over the next few days.

YMMV

Mike

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
DBW, are you the one in ID that has injectors available?

YMMV

Mike

PS TX is always an option too....
You guys are awesome, I have some figuring to do....

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Hey Mike, have them check to see if you are chipped by checking the requested boost values or something. That would be interesting to know!

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Good idea Rob.....
Our conversations have made me think this thing might be chipped...not at first, but I am now. It is almost stupid fast, and although I have only done it once in almost three years of ownership, I got on it real hard and with very new tires the front end slid and bucked all over the road, even after shifting gears. I can pull redline (and beyond) in every gear without it missing a beat and in fact in one through 3 I have to watch I don't accidentally over rev. I have always laughed at the 'I am afraid to go beyond 2500rpm posts', I couldn't stay under 2500rpm if I tried....it revs too quick. I thought it was hella quick when I test drove it the first time. Above 70mph the car is insanely quick, quick enough to put you into the seat pretty hard...

The only other TDI I have driven was chipped, had up-rated injectors, and propane injection, my car wasn't that fast.

Enough of my bragging. (Have I mentioned I love this car??)

YMMV

Mike

EDIT: I have driven a 1.8t in both a Passat and a Jetta, neither impressed me but both were stock. You get a real kick about midway, but it's not smooth power...it also dies long before my TDI. I can blow a Passat 1.8t off the road, even on the take off, I can hang with a 1.8t Jetta until about 75-80mph, at that point they are smelling Diesel Dust as I walk away from them.....(am I chipped?)