Ticket for failing to move right.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Amen!

Must be a DC area driver (land of the campers).

My question - how hard is this? right-> move Left->pass-> back to right ain't exactly rocket science.

Worst part of my commute are campers. Four lane road (123) speed limit is 55, average speed is more like 60. Every single morning there's a car in the left lane w/ a 1/2 mile of traffic behind them. Had one the other day.........flashed the guy - here's the fun - this jackass actually waved :eek: Everyone goes around on the right (which is real safe), last I saw he was still back there blocking.

LMAO
I would lose my mind. This guy knew he was being an A$$. I know would be incredibly irresponsible but dont you just wish you could give these people a little bump and scare the $hi+ out of them?

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
i guess that chick never seen the sign "slower traffic keep right" before. my high school history teacher's famous quote "female drivers, no survivors."

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Notice the Yahoo symbol next to this idiot's Avatar............Oh, and to the reckless drivers commenting here, No matter how many lanes there are, the speed limit is 65 in all of them. So, how do you "legally pass" someone driving 65MPH?
^ This is the first comment on the site, and it's as far as I got before I closed the tab. I don't want to completely lose faith in humanity just before going to bed.

Indeed. Also, traveling primarily in the middle lane causes people to jockey for position in the left and middle lanes, often times leaving the right lane wide open for people who to whizzing past everyone. This creates an even more dangerous situation, particularly for those trying to merge on and off the highway. (At least that's the case around here.)
Exactly. This is why, like GoFaster said, you should never create an opportunity for a vehicle to pass you on the right.

My hate for passing on the right is so strong I can't even begin to explain it. Our roads are filled with so many ignorant fools that are clueless as to how and why heavy traffic and bottlenecks are formed, and that so much of it could be avoided simply by NOT PASSING ON THE RIGHT. EVER!

Best example of this madness is observed when the right lane is moving faster than the middle and left lane before a merger. People take it and speed past all the patient middle lane drivers. When they get to the merger, they cut back into the middle lane (causing traffic, and leaving room for others behind them to do the same). While that happens, some drivers merge at the speed of the right lane, but then other geniuses behind them rush past them, in order to merger two cars ahead, causing more totally avoidable slowdown/traffic.

This scenario blows my mind every time. And god forbid trying to match the middle lane's speed in the right lane. People behind get so damn impatient and aggressive trying to pass on the right it's ridiculous.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
^ This is the first comment on the site, and it's as far as I got before I closed the tab. I don't want to completely lose faith in humanity just before going to bed.

Exactly. This is why, like GoFaster said, you should never create an opportunity for a vehicle to pass you on the right.

My hate for passing on the right is so strong I can't even begin to explain it. Our roads are filled with so many ignorant fools that are clueless as to how and why heavy traffic and bottlenecks are formed, and that so much of it could be avoided simply by NOT PASSING ON THE RIGHT. EVER!

Best example of this madness is observed when the right lane is moving faster than the middle and left lane before a merger. People take it and speed past all the patient middle lane drivers. When they get to the merger, they cut back into the middle lane (causing traffic, and leaving room for others behind them to do the same). While that happens, some drivers merge at the speed of the right lane, but then other geniuses behind them rush past them, in order to merger two cars ahead, causing more totally avoidable slowdown/traffic.

This scenario blows my mind every time. And god forbid trying to match the middle lane's speed in the right lane. People behind get so damn impatient and aggressive trying to pass on the right it's ridiculous.
From somebody who works in the road construction industry(and who is subject to being either killed or sued when this happens) Amen!!!!

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I was reminded this morning of something else that has bugged me, in terms of driving right: left hand exits and tolls. A (very) few times I've attempted to drive either the limit or a bit under, to see what the car can do for mpg. Usually I like to get into the lane I need to be in, ahead of time; but that gets tricky if it's a left hand exit. Do you get in a quarter-mile ahead of time, which feels comfortable, or do you wait until later and risk not getting in? 'tis a case where driving faster, or at least driving with traffic becomes required.

Tolls, I found those annoying. Right two lanes would be cash, left lanes were EZ-Pass. Of course I have EZ-Pass, so now I need to move over a few lanes, again while attempting to do the limit (or at least coasting into the plaza, rather than hitting the brakes). No love there either. [At least it's going away now, the one I have to drive through is going to high speed.]

As to passing on the right, the worst left lane bandits I've seen are on 93(?) going down to the Cape, where I've seen several times people doing 10 under in the left lane, on a two or three lane, where 90% of the traffic is doing 10 over. Ouch. Next up is where two highways merge, three lanes on one and two from another, becoming a four lane highway. With the obligatory left-lane drop a few hundred yards later to make it three lanes. [I293 in Hooksett.]

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
All 'I have to say is that I quote have written everything that VeeDubTDI has in this thread.

Stay to the right except to pass is a pet peeve of mine as well.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I am not particularly aged, but I remember the days when you could flash your brights when coming up behind someone in the left lane, indicating they should move over. This was not considered a sign of aggression, just a heads up to be aware and kindly move aside.

Unfortunately, I think flashing high beams nowadays is considered aggressive and road-rage worthy. Either that or it is completely ignored. There was an incident in my area not too long ago where this move resulted in the flashed individual brandishing a firearm.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As for left exits and EZPass lanes on the left, I'll generally wait until a half mile out before I start my move over to the left (assuming I'm in the right lane at the time) and keep up with the flow of whatever traffic is in the left lane until I make my exit or go through the tolls and move back to the right.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I am not particularly aged, but I remember the days when you could flash your brights when coming up behind someone in the left lane, indicating they should move over. This was not considered a sign of aggression, just a heads up to be aware and kindly move aside.
I was heading south on I-77 coming into the Charlotte area a few weeks back. I think the speed limit is 65 so I had the cruise set at about 73. Pulled over into the left lane to pass a slower car. They sped up slightly so it was taking a little longer to pass. While over there I had this fool come out of no where and start riding my bumper. He then flashed his brights at me, but since I was laready over the limit, I just hung out there until I was past the other car and then got over. It ended up being a county sheriff. He then blasted on down the interstate and started to harass another car until they got out of his way. I think he exited two exits up. He wasn't running the lbue lights or I would have gotten out of his way quicker. Just happy I didn't flip him off! I still wonder if his coffee must have been getting cold.:rolleyes:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I was heading south on I-77 coming into the Charlotte area a few weeks back. I think the speed limit is 65 so I had the cruise set at about 73. Pulled over into the left lane to pass a slower car. They sped up slightly so it was taking a little longer to pass. While over there I had this fool come out of no where and start riding my bumper. He then flashed his brights at me, but since I was laready over the limit, I just hung out there until I was past the other car and then got over. It ended up being a county sheriff. He then blasted on down the interstate and started to harass another car until they got out of his way. I think he exited two exits up. He wasn't running the lbue lights or I would have gotten out of his way quicker. Just happy I didn't flip him off! I still wonder if his coffee must have been getting cold.:rolleyes:
Nah, the hot donut sign was on at Krispie Kreme.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Nah; just finished his doughnut...

As for the Original post; I am cheering my state right now :p I cannot tell you how pissed off I get daily at these f'ing morons...

the left lane rolling roadblocks; the self-proclaimed traffic cops; the quarter panel campers... those are the worst...

They drive slow in the left lane, you get fed up and pass them on the right, then they speed up to match you and sit "right on your quarter panel" so you can't get back over and get stuck behind the slower traffic in the right lane. Once you are blocked in they get next to the slow traffic and slow down to match them... Idiots...

Seriously want to get one of these: http://slowertraffickeepright.org/ and these: http://www.keeprightusa.com/other.html and maybe a neon sign as well...

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Many, many years ago I had discovered and purchased a hand-held flip sign device, about the size of a ping pong paddle, that had several relevant phrases printed on flippable cards. Examples being 'slower traffic move right' (printed in reverse for mirror-correct reading) and others such as 'please don't tailgate'. I have never seen them since, but wish I could find one with additional new additions such as 'please hang up a pay attention' and other currently useful messages. Anyone know of such a product?

EuroVariant

TDI
2003 Golf Variant TDI, 2001 Jetta Wagon VR6
What is the suggestion for stop-and-go traffic where there are 3+ lanes? It is conceivable that a right lane is moving faster than middle/left lanes..

I see this happening frequently coming out of Boston.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
What is the suggestion for stop-and-go traffic where there are 3+ lanes? It is conceivable that a right lane is moving faster than middle/left lanes..
Well, we're both in the land of horrible drivers. All I can say is when driving in New England, cover the brake pedal and plan an escape path.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
The real problem has a lot more to do with the "f you" and "I dont give a Sh@$" attitude thats seems to be the norm in this day of age. Quite sad actually. It also has a lot to do with the sense of entitlement in this country that is spinning out of control. You see, driving is not a "right", its a privilege. I truly believe if more people understood this basic, common sense principal, the safer and more efficient our roads would be to travel, for everyone.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
in the western part of the US where the posted limit is more a suggestion than a fact you had better head the KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS sign or you will find yourself on the side of the road with a irate trooper asking why you were blocking traffic. And when he or she leaves you will have a expensive ticket for causing aggressive driving....

It's not about your speed out west, but about the aggressive driving blocking the left lane causes on how the law is enforced. You can cruise all day across the plains of CO on the freeway @ ~85 as long as you stay out of the left lane except to pass, don't follow too close or don't fail to signal lane changes at speed... These are the laws, rules of the road they strictly enforce for safety's sake..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In that situation, use all of the available space, pick your lane and stay with it, and for the love of Ceiling Cat, average your speed out so you're not doing the stop/go/stop/go/stop/go thing (you'll get better fuel economy that way, too).

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
This is so amazing I couldn't resist!
http://youtu.be/LZhdvl_P1Zc
Pardon the commentary.
In that video the car in question appears to be passing traffic in the center lane. We don't know what speed the car was doing in relation to the posted speed limit. All we see is a cop in a hurry, without flashers on, creating a hazard by tailgating and abusing his authority by scaring the person to move over. I'm sure if something had happened to necessitate the civic braking quickly the cop would have found a reason to find them at fault instead of the cop's tailgating :rolleyes:
This one is very satisfying, as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=9JrEf3-O2s8
I absolutely agree that the driver of that van deserves a ticket.

As far as the woman involved in the incident in the OP, we don't know what the center or right lane traffic was during the incident. If she was passing someone then she shouldn't get a ticket. Heck, 63mph should be in the margin of error for speedometers, so not sure why she'd get ticketed for that. She does have a point about wind gusts. The posted speed limit is normally made assuming dry roads with good visibility. Certainly wind gusts play into safe driving conditions. Sounds to me like the cop was just having a bad day. She'll win in court if it goes that far.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
From somebody who works in the road construction industry(and who is subject to being either killed or sued when this happens) Amen!!!!
There are a few circumstances when you won't find me in the right lane.

Overtaking other traffic, obviously. (Unless they're a left-lane or center-lane camper and the right lane is the only way around ...)

Approaching a junction with a merge lane that has traffic on it. If possible, I'll move one lane to the left in order to facilitate the merge.

And ... If there is activity (stopped vehicle, emergency vehicle, construction, etc) in the breakdown lane. Whenever possible, I'll give those people a lane of space. There's a law requiring moving a lane away from a police car in that position ... but I'll do it for ANY activity in the breakdown lane. I have friends who are tow truck drivers, I have friends who are construction workers, I have friends who are police officers. And I've been in that breakdown lane myself, with a flat tire, now and again.

As for left exits and EZPass lanes on the left, I'll generally wait until a half mile out before I start my move over to the left (assuming I'm in the right lane at the time) and keep up with the flow of whatever traffic is in the left lane until I make my exit or go through the tolls and move back to the right.
Left exits on motorways, other than collector-to-express transfer lanes, are poor roadway design. I don't think they are being used for new construction in Ontario.

In traffic-jam conditions, it is not possible to reserve a lane for passing, and it is a better use of the available road space to fill all of the lanes. In Germany, this is explicitly written - the keep-right and no-overtake-on-right rules are not in effect if the traffic speed is below 60 km/h.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
When you are modifying existing interchanges it is not allways possible to avoid left exits. Wait till you drive on a split diamond signalized interchange sometime, you end up driving on the left side of the road for a piece before you merge back to the right. We'll be building one over the next couple of years.

Left exits on motorways, other than collector-to-express transfer lanes, are poor roadway design. I don't think they are being used for new construction in Ontario.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
In that situation, use all of the available space, pick your lane and stay with it, and for the love of Ceiling Cat, average your speed out so you're not doing the stop/go/stop/go/stop/go thing (you'll get better fuel economy that way, too).
Unfortunately it is sometimes necessary to use all of the lanes to carry the traffic load. This happens frequently when an interstate is carrying "local" traffic from a close spaced series of towns and suburbs along with long distance "through" traffic. There is a 40 mile stretch of in along the interstate 3 miles north of me that heads in an east/west direction. Throw in construction or a wreck and you can end up with a 10 mile back up quickly. All of the coastal towns have grown till their city limits touch. The good news is that it doesn't happen on Saturday.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
I am guilty.

... I do hang out in the left lane when I know there will be no/few cars behind me for a while.

Why? Because usually the right lane is a bit more beat up from tractor trailers so my OCD ways force me to the left side. I switch to the right when people are coming up behind me to pass. Ride is much smoother in the left lane and I guess I am trying to ´save´ my front end as much as possible, hence the OCD mentioned.

Also, there are usually many trees that are lined up against the right side of the highway and the wind/storms tend to get the best of the roots and trees fall down onto the roads. I figured there is a smaller chance of me getting whacked in the left lane than right.

By no means do these examples clear me from a ticket! Just my .02

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
As far as the woman involved in the incident in the OP, we don't know what the center or right lane traffic was during the incident. If she was passing someone then she shouldn't get a ticket. Heck, 63mph should be in the margin of error for speedometers, so not sure why she'd get ticketed for that. She does have a point about wind gusts. The posted speed limit is normally made assuming dry roads with good visibility. Certainly wind gusts play into safe driving conditions. Sounds to me like the cop was just having a bad day. She'll win in court if it goes that far.
However, even if the road conditions were too poor to support higher speeds, the drivers of any vehicles should keep right except to pass.

Now, interestingly, one critical difference between US and German lane discipline law is, who has to yield when faster traffic is coming up behind a car passing other traffic.

In the US, as long as you're passing other traffic that's to the right, it's completely legal to stay in the left lane, regardless of what's behind you.

In Germany, my understanding is, with the exception of some high-traffic situations, the FASTER car (that is, the car behind, not the car in front) has right-of-way - as in, if you see faster traffic, you need to abort your pass and move over.

Re: poor road quality, there's a reason I don't run anything bigger than 16s, and I run FSDs on stock springs. Gives that Buick ride, while still cornering halfway decently. Yeah, I still feel the crappy right lane, but I can tolerate it. (Actually, here, the bigger problem is the surface streets, but still, works on the freeway too.)

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
However, even if the road conditions were too poor to support higher speeds, the drivers of any vehicles should keep right except to pass...
I agree, but we don't know if the right/center lane was available in that incident.