The emissions warranty extension, when do you have to get it?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Bought my 2015 in June 2017, it came with phase 1 fix. Is there a limit to when you have to get phase 2? No advantage to getting it until my extended warranty expires?

I have a 200,000km warranty from VW, 2 years left, can I wait and do phase 2 in 2 years? I am at 113,000 kms and won’t be over the 200,000 before the warranty expires.
Thanks, Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Canada may not be the same as the US. My 2015 Beetle was bought new in 2017 and is in the same boat right now. It is my understanding that the warranty and the fix are not really the same thing. Separate from each other, yet linked if a repair is needed. They have to do the fix with no time limit. The warranty runs out. I am planning on getting part 2b done when I have an issue or near the warranties end. There was a part one done when the car was sold to me. Part 2a was done when it came out and I took it in. Just some software changes and a pipe change IIRC. Part 2b is a complete dpf change out and other stuff. I want to wait on that as long as I can and don't have any issues. I speak to the VW dealer service each time it is in and remind them to not do it till I say so. Been over it with the service manger as well. Entered in my records to not do 2b until approved by me.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I thought a warranty kicks in with a time limit and a mileage limit from the date you have the next emissions phase completed?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Approved-Emissions-Modification-Notice-Volkswagen-Generation-3-TDI-Vehicles-Phase-2.pdf (vwcourtsettlement.com)

I don't think there is a limit to when you have to get phase 2 done. However, it does seem like the limit of the extended emissions warranty is 11yrs from date of service or 162,000 miles.
The above letter says:

Phase 2 does not affect the warranty. The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” continues to be the greater of:
• 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in- service date; OR
• 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 2
So if I wait until June 2024 when my warranty expires and have phase 2 done then, I’ll have warranty until 2029 on my emissions or for another 60,000 miles.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I am unclear on the phase 1 and phase 2 thing.
I know this isnt the mk6 forum but... Most of my warrenty has timed out. (U.S. 2011 JSW 82k miles). My understanding is that everything was addressed with the initial dieselgate repair? How if at all can my 11 JSW effected?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Only for the 15's I think I remember. There was a part 1, part 2a and part 2b. Part 1 was done by the dealer before sale, part 2a was done by the owner and involved the dealer installing a few parts and software changes. Part 2b involves a lot more with replacement of the DPF and such so that it will reach at least a specified mileage. If you had issues and the dpf was replaced that would more than likely include part 2b at the same time. Had something to do with having DEF built in already IIRC.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
On a 2011, you’d better check your paperwork, I’ll do the same with my Cdn paperwork, but other than conversion to metric, our recall has always mirrored the USA recall.
Thanks,
Don