Thanks from Stealth TDI...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

The amount of things going on comibined with the smoothness that each event went off shows that a lot of work went into pulling off a great Fest. GREAT JOB!

I think I could've enjoyed myself more if I had:

1) Not suffered a casualty to my car. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting and was incredibly distracted on Friday and Saturday (I hope I didn't seem too anti-social to some). I had virtually no time to prepare my car for the show. Although I won my class, the car could've been much better.

2) Stayed at the hotel. Although I made a lot of first-time-camper mistakes (such as borrowing a tent), the true killer for me was the amount of time spent commuting between the two locations (especially the wrong turns) and feeling the need to store valuables in the car while away from the camp site. Had I stayed at the hotel, I would've had an EMPTY car for the show. "Really, the trunk is clean... It's just FULL!"

3) Combining the two above would've allowed me more time for getting to know everyone. I've been a part of TDIClub.com since it was just a lowly guestbook on what was a meager website. So there were A LOT of names and faces to take in. Perhaps I can make next year's Fest (free of vehicle defects) and reinforce the names/faces I learned this year.

I want to thank those who helped with my troubleshooting efforts on my car:

1) PeterV and HamsterDiesel for the use of their VAG-COM...

2) Code Blue for the use of his ECU and MAF, plus an unknown member for the use of his MAF...

3) Jeff (Rocket Chips) for some advice and the use of his floor jack...

4) Paramedick for watching my table and loaning me his car while I grabbed lunch and did other little things...

5) WB1FLI for the use of his ramps (too tall to drive on, but worked well as supports while I worked under the car)...

6) NicerJettaGuy for the use of his EZPass, some wire repair items, and hotel room Sunday night...

7) FanOfAllDiesels and his wife for watching Diana while I packed up my campsite Sunday night...

8) Any camper who tolerated my latenight shuffle while packing the car Sunday night (those tent poles were impossible to handle quietly in the calm darkness)...

9) Anyone who provided some ideas regarding my troubleshooting direction... I think it was SVTWeb's suggestion that netted the discovery of the fault...

10) and EVERYONE who gave Diana a piggyback ride, took her to the restroom, or tolerated her energy in any way. BTW, the cheers for her on the obstacle course were great!

For those interested, the fault turned out to be a loose or faulty retaining clip for the wastegate actuator rod. Although I couldn't get under the car for another 24-hours, I felt much better after knowing what was actually wrong with the car. The rod is currently held in place by a paper-clip. It held all the way home and may stay in place for another week or so. There's plenty of rain in our forecast. So it will be a while before I can get under the car.

I hope to see everyone next year.

Take Care,

Scott

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Thanks from Steatlh TDI...

Scott, I gotta say it. Diana was very welcome at the fest. She reminded me a lot of my own daughter. The very little I did play with her, was great. I missed my kids, and she helped ease that.

Thanks again, and we're glad you had a great time, mistakes and all.

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls

Scott,

Becky and I had fun watching Diana. We really were missing our 5 (in 1 week) and 7 year old girls. Diana finally collapsed at about midnight, I'm betting she slept most of the way home.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you both at a local GTG soon.

Jeff

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

Scott!

it was great to finally put the person to the name. Esp since we all know the face from the VW Driver's magazine feature.

I'm glad you got it all sorted out...

Did ya find your watch?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI

Hi,

Jeff: When my wife mentioned me leaving Diana with "perfect strangers," I used your line and said, "Oh, they weren't perfect at all."
She was surprised by how fast Diana got over "being shy" and warmed up to nearly everyone at the Fest.

Geoff: I haven't found my watch yet. If you placed it in Diana's cup holder, she probably tossed it on the floor or something. It should turn up when I clean out the car. The funny thing about meeting people at the Fest... I expected a few people to be interested in meeting me since I've been around so long. But I completely forgot that people would recognize me from Internet photos. I had misplaced my nametag; but many still knew me!

BTW, if anyone snapped a photo of Diana in the front seat during my obstacle course run, I'd appreciate a copy. If anyone has video of her squealing all the way around the course, that would be priceless!

Take Care,

Scott

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
ditto on the camping. I did enjoy the camping, but my tdifest experiance could have been better staying at the hotel.

Well, if Diana and you attend the next TDIfest, she might have a playmate. I wished I had my 5 yr old girl along with me.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Scott, you're welcome.

Diana was a doll, and kept me from missing the 4 yo granddaughter who was supposed to attend, but didn't. On second thought, maybe it was better that we didn't put those two balls of energy together!

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Glad you got your problem fixed Scott. So it was you making all that noise during the night at the campsite
Your car is pretty loud so I figured it was you. Diana was a pleasure to Piggyback around and I was happy to help you set up your (borrowed) tent. Take care!

Steve

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch

Diana is shy????
I'd never have noticed! That girl spent the weekend getting piggybacks and been swung be every one.

And she definitely had a blast racing around the course with her dad - probably better then any ride at Disney - she was a real crowd pleaser with her screams.

Thanks for the T-shirt, I probably should have gotten two as I'm realy proud to wear it - plus it looks good!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

Fred, that's fantastic!

It was a stated goal of this 'fest that it should be family friendly. I don't think you could have better nailed the spirit of that in this video clip! It just goes to show - folks, bring your kids! It's never too early to put TDIdeas into their heads! And the ones attending seem to have a good time of it!

I think a lot of us are starting to experience just how surreal it gets when you walk up and find yourself talking to someone in person that you've known virtually for a numerous YEARS.

Or how much more natural it seems to use the alias.

~BeetleGo, Krazy

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI

Hi,

I saw this photo, taken of my windshield, and thought I'd explain:

This product can be seen at www.LightInSight.com and is used to see those traffic lights that are strung too closely to the intersection. You know... the ones you have to crane your head to keep an eye on? I think it was about $14 shipped and applies with a little water. It comes right off when desired.

The website doesn't show any photos of TRAFFIC LIGHTS. But, believe me, it works! Feel free to ask more questions if you like...

Scott

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

I thought it was when you roll over so fire fighter know where the "top" is...

Hehe...

Where do you put it?

Right in front of you, under the central mirror, on passenger side, combination?

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
Scott,
I've tried every way possible I can think of to get in touch with you.

Could you please touch base with me when you get back around to the TDI club forums and drop me an e-mail/PM?

Want to chat about the 2005 TDI Fest.

Thanks,
Jeff

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
In case you don't know Jeff, Scott is in the Coast Guard and is gone from the boards for stretches at a time. I don't know that's the case at this time but it's a possible explaination.

MCA

st_simon

TDI
jetta wagon, 2002, silver
I spoke to Scott about two weeks ago and he said that he was going out of town for a few months...FYI

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I've tried every way possible I can think of to get in touch with you. Could you please touch base with me when you get back around to the TDI club forums and drop me an e-mail/PM? Want to chat about the 2005 TDI Fest.
I'm not very flexible when it comes to e-mail. Sometimes my mailbox looks like the TDI Forum, riddled with the same ol' questions.
So my e-mail link goes to a primer page first.

I don't prefer PMs because I have to come here to respond to them. E-mail is quicker and much more convenient.

Anyway, I AM out of town until just before Christmas. I've disabled the e-mail link on my website. It's not that I don't want to hear from anyone. Instead, I'm just slowing the flow of e-mail until I'm back on a reliable internet connection.

Feel free to e-mail me at StealthTDI @ cox.net.

Take Care,

Scott