Tech Bulletin Service Campaign TV - 97 Passat's

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
Re: Tech Bulletin Service Campaign TV - 97 Passat\'s

DBS what is the A4/A3 slit?,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He meant the "splitting" of the A3Jetta/B4Passat vs. the A4Jetta,Golf,NB discussion strings on Fred's TDI site.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB

Originally posted by TDIMeister:
This campaign *might* apply to some early `96 Passat TDIs, although most should have been fixed before delivery to the first owner.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, you are confusing me here. If they knew of the problem in 96 before delivery to customers (and fixed it), then why would they install it in 97's when they had a fix?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

This is a completely different campaign. It has nothing to do with the "smoke fixes" described in the other two documents.

I just thought it would be a service to owners to have all the pertinent campaigns affecting B4 TDIs in a single thread. None of the 97s were affected because they went to the Garrett turbocharger on all Passat TDIs after early `96.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB

Ahhh okay, you got me thinking for a bit there!

Loulou

TDI
1997 Passat Silver

Ok - tooo much guy talk for me! So a little estrogen factor here:
My passat is a 97 with 105K.
It is upsoluted.
Should I get it to the dealer for this
replacement? What about the chip?

LUVMYTDI

I did verify with the dealership this morning. If the work has not been performed (and the dealership can check if you are not sure) it is covered. So those who have the 97 Passat and have not had this service done yet should take advantage of it.
The dealership (Maxwells in Burlington) has not given me any problems and has been good to work with. And they are one of the few still in existance - actually the only one I am aware of - who will provide a loaner car for the day if you set it up when you schedule an appt.

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey

Originally posted by Loulou:
It is upsoluted.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a good question (about the chip). The B4 Passat's originally used socketed chip's in the ECU.

I have the Wetterauer chip, with intact socket, so switching chip's is not a problem.

For those with Upsolute chip's, does Upsolute use the socket, or do they solder the new chip in place?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Originally posted by Loulou:
It is upsoluted.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The repair work might have already been done. If so, there's not need to worry.

I would suggest: take your car in to a dealer and ascertain if the TV campaign in your car has been done. If yes, no further action needed. If no, make an appointment to have the work done, then go post haste to someone to help you take the Ups chip out and put the stock chip back on (if you've kept it). Otherwise, Rene @ Upsolute might be able to send you a stock GQ ECU in exchange for the time being.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Pre-TV-campaign `97 Passats will have ECUs with the part number suffix "GQ." It is replaced with "FA." Both are socketed (I know my FA is socketed, as is the `96 BK ECU). BUT! As far as I know, the programming is different between ECUs. Meaning, you can't take a chip for a GQ ECU and stick it into an FA ECU. I could be wrong. Ask your Upsolute rep.

kenjazzman

TDI
2 B4s: '97 grey & '96 red

LUVMYTDI,
My '97 B4 had 147k miles; no questions asked. Work was done as soon as the parts came in.
Kenjazzman

mikeh

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 golf gl, '09 jetta tdi

glad to have stumbled across this posting. i am now scheduled to have the work done next week. have you folks that have alresdy had the work completed noticed a significant improvment in performance?

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat

Kudos (again) to the site and all participants!

Finished an engine transplant in my '97 Passat earlier this week and returned to the site after a long absence to find this posting.

I was getting a persistant 00560 DTC on my new VAG-COM (Thank you Santa) and believe you boys may have given me the fix. Car goes in on 1/3/03.

Reason for the transplant? Last spring, at 111K mi the car jumped time
, 12K after the dealer said the belt didn't need replacing
(no it's NOT going back to that *%!##+^%@ dealer). Despite the excellant advice given to me via the site (special thanks to DriveByWire
) I elected to replace the engine rather than rebuild the head. (more money than brains?) The up-side: now have an extra engine to "play" with
. Being an old motorhead from the 60's and 70's, I've been musing about porting/polishing the head and manifold, balancing the lower end and cam as well as some of the mods talked about on the site. (more money than brains, again. But I really haven't had this much fun since the wife made me give up the GT6+ twenty-odd years ago. She said she didn't want to raise our children alone.
) Any comments as to the level of my dementia and suggestions for treatment?

jconley

TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Reflex Silver

I just talked to my VW dealer about the upgrade and he's ready to order the parts and set me up with an appointment. Two weeks ago the engine sounded like something had been tossed into it and it knocked and clattered for a time, but finally settled down and now runs like new. My car has 107,000 miles and since it is running as good as it did new, I suggested we wait until the 120,000 mile timeing belt replacement to do the upgrade. He thought that to be a good idea. My question, is there a time limit on this upgrade??
Thanks

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Originally posted by jconley:
My question, is there a time limit on this upgrade??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No.

LUVMYTDI

Had the work completed this morning. The 4 ports (I have no idea what the correct name for it is but is where the 4 holes are) were not sooted up too bad, maybe a quarter inch is all. However the pin area (again the name could be incorrect) from the EGR down through the pipe was atrocious. The one side was about 70 % blocked and the other side about 50-60%. Amazing the car was not showing any symptoms of power loss. It does seem to be smoother taching up to 3000rpms now. Next chore is to get it fixed with vag-com to keep it clean.