Tech Bulletin Service Campaign TV - 97 Passat's

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Tech Bulletin Service Campaign TV - 97 Passat\'s

I noticed on the VW website there is a Sevice Tech Bulletin (TV) for the 1997 Passat TDI where they replace the Intake manifold and ECM. Anyone had this done? If so what caused you to have this done? VW Tech Bulletins

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Re: Tech Bulletin Service Campaign TV - 97 Passat\'s

Haven't had it done, but my understanding was that this was just a change in EGR calibration for emissions purposes and was done on a free "update" basis when a car came in for other service.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

My car had the work done by the previous owner.

Details here.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

Just think nice new CLEAN intake and you don,t have to do amything.

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Emerald Green

How would I go about seeing if the previous owner of my '97 Passat had this done? Would the part number on the ECM indicate the updated status?

Jerry

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now

TDIMeister thanks. This is what I am loking for. I wonder what changes they made in the ECM? It looks like just firmware since there is a software update sticker on the new ECM. I have all of the records since new and I can find no evidence that this was done on my Passat. I am checking with my local dealer. At least in this forum there were no rude remarks.

Don

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now

There are 2 bulletins. One called TV (for the US) and one called TVCAN (for Canada). Don

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

My Passat had this done right before I bought it at 20,000 miles.
This was a VW Official car so it had everything done to it.
In fact Don that is the manifold I sold you

[ November 19, 2002, 18:59: Message edited by: tomo366 ]

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Passats with the TV campaign performed with have ECU suffix "FA" rather than "GQ". This can be easily determined by VAG-COM or by removing the firewall trim under the hood and checking the label on the ECU.

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now

I just got the word from my local dealer. I get a new intake manifold and new ecu due to TV.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Dst, none of that info helps. The only best way short of seeing the ECU suffix with VAG-COM is to go to you the dealership and give them your car's VIN. They'll look through their database to see if it has been done or not.

Do not accept statements like, "That's not a critical fix so it's not necessary." It has been done or it hasn't. You have the right to request confirmation in writing in the form of a print-out or something whether this work has been done or not.

The technical service bulletin itself states, "Dealers are to service each vehicle subject to this service action regardless of
mileage, age of vehicle, or selling dealer, from this time forward."
They can't deny doing the fix if it hasn't already been done.

dst7979

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI

Meister, Thanks!!

The dealer already agreed to do the work, I just want to make sure that I know the work they are going to do and see any parts changed out.

Being informed is the only way to interact with my local dealer. I like them but not sure that I trust them. There is a difference.

dst7979

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI

Cool, I see all of the parts to be replaced by the campaign.

I will let you all know how it goes and if they actually wash the car.

Thanks,
Dave

dst7979

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI

VWOA's database shows that my 97 B4 has not had the campaign completed. I am going to check the code on the ECU today.

Does the campaign call for the replacement or cleaning of any parts or just a software download?

Thanks for all of your help!
Dave

dst7979

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI

Hello again,

I checked my ECU, i think, and here is the info:

73-HS-Y
Deutschlannd
Coroplast
3A1 971 072 HS
TAB 003 715 DJ 1/2

21.Jun.1996
TS23063
05.Feb.1997
20:58:49
Maczuga

am I close?

I just need to be completely informed BEFORE I roll in to the local VW dealer.

Thanks!!!

dst7979

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI

TV Recall completed. New ECU and new manifold. The old manifold was not too bad, a little clogged and dirty the engine was rebuilt at 86K (timing belt) and now the car has 103K with a new manifold.

Car was clean so no wash. Got to know my VW mechanic, Bill, pretty well. He gave me some pointers as I installed the Racepipe on my '00 Jetta AND cleaned out my manifold. 98K on the Jetta, the manifold was clogged and the EGR almost completely clogged. Very messy job but its done and the Jetta drives much quicker now.

Thanks to everyone here for all of the great info!!

Upsolute Xmas sale next!

Dave

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Read the TDIFAQ section regarding EGR clogging and do what it says if you haven't already and if it applies to you...

kenjazzman

TDI
2 B4s: '97 grey & '96 red

Just had this done on my '97 B4. Here's what happened: I called VOA to plead my case for a fix on a window regulator (Thanks to the tip from Natescape
),but I couldn't get the guy to go for it. In turning me down, however, he let slip that there was this other recall available. The dealer confirmed it and ordered the parts. So I pay $250 to get the stupid window fixed, and get about $1500 worth of new intake manifold, computer, etc. for free. Go figure.
Anyone with a '97 B4, especially if it's been sluggish due to a clogged intake, should ask about the stealth recall known as "TV".
kenjazzman

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Great to hear the site has helped

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now

Yes it was real nice to get a new intake, erg valve, and ecu after 70,000 miles for free. I agree that this a great site. I am not sure if I like the A$ / A3 slit yet or not since alot of items are common. Time will tell. Don

LUVMYTDI

I hope 'the regardless of milage' part is true. Mine has 117K which means the warranty was through 17K ago. The service guy indicated this was a warranty repair so was covered. This got me to thinking about being past the normal warrantied window. But I would have thought he would have inquired about the actual milage prior to ordering the parts? Anyone know for sure? Guess I better verify before they start the work so as not to get stuck with a huge bill after the fact. Or worse yet they put the sooted up parts back on.
JerryPT - The bulletin only lists 97's within a certain VIN range.

LUVMYTDI

Since I have a 97 Passat this caught my eye. And reading though it made them open up even more. My EGR is in need of cleaning - about 3/4 clogged. Have also been fighting with a CEL since last winter. A week ago I had a mechanic replace the glow plug harness and reset the CEL again. When they did the scan it came up with 2 codes ... P0380 & P1403. The P1403 is the same as dtc 00560 noted in the campaign. CEL came back within 5 miles. VWOA's database shows that my 97 B4 has not had the campaign work completed. Dealer has the parts on order. So as Birdman says - nice new CLEAN intake and new ECM and I dont have to do anything. Well other than keep an eye on them when they are doing it. I plan on having the TDIFAQ EGR clogging preventative measure done after the replacement.
This is one terrific and helpful site.

LUVMYTDI

Since I have a 97 Passat this caught my eye. And reading though it made them open up even more. My EGR is in need of cleaning - about 3/4 clogged. Have also been fighting with a CEL since last winter. A week ago I had a mechanic replace the glow plug harness and reset the CEL again. When they did the scan it came up with 2 codes ... P0380 & P1403. The P1403 is the same as dtc 00560 noted in the campaign. CEL came back within 5 miles. VWOA's database shows that my 97 B4 has not had the campaign work completed. Dealer has the parts on order. So as Birdman says - nice new CLEAN intake and new ECM and I dont have to do anything. Well other than keep an eye on them when they are doing it. I plan on having the TDIFAQ EGR clogging preventative measure done after the replacement.
This is one terrific and helpful site.

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI

DBS what is the A4/A3 slit?,
This seems to be great news for me. I was about to go get dirty and clean out my intake myself....
but with this well great free intake, egr and stuff... But my concern is what are they updating in the ecu? I have upsolute chip and am wondering if it will work in the new ecu or will I need a new chip?
also is the intake any different from the old one?

Thanks guys

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

JerryPT, the `96s were involved in a different campaign that replaced the ECU and injectors. That document is here. Print it off and present it to your dealer and see if it applies to your car. There no word as to whether this is covered under warranty. There are other ways to effect the same changes to your car.

LUVMYTDI, the dealer is obligated to do the work at no cost to you regardless of mileage. Don't accept any excuses.

Good luck to both.

[ December 20, 2002, 05:32: Message edited by: TDIMeister ]

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

This campaign *might* apply to some early `96 Passat TDIs, although most should have been fixed before delivery to the first owner.