TDI Traitor?

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
While looking to add another TDI to my all diesel fleet, I stopped to check out an awesome looking Golf parked by the road for sale. It turned out to be a 20th ae 1.8t 6spd manual. My wife loved the blueberry color and persuaded me to drive it, WOW! what a puller, I had no idea. It is slightly modified with intake and exhaust, popoff valve, and supposedly no tune. Comes with VagCom software, car is all original with less than 100k miles.
Question,
How do these cars compare to the TDI in relation to longevity and fuel economy?
The owner claims 50+mpg on the hwy with the 6sp trans, I've never heard of this before.
Is there any kind of registry that tracks these numbered cars?
The price seemed ok, bit I am not really sure on a gasser. (9k)

Comments? Opinions?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
nogassershere said:
The owner claims 50+mpg on the hwy with the 6sp trans, I've never heard of this before.
You've never heard of it before because he's blowing smoke up your arse. I think you'd have to try real hard to even hit 30 mpg.

Sounds like a nice car though. The 1.8T's are good engines, just beware of the sludging issues. Proper oil and the larger oil filter is required.

jhota

TDI
2001 Beetle
i know a couple people with 1.8Ts, and they both get ~34-35 mpg on the highway. they both drive like my mother, too. so the right foot is definitely a factor.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
nogassershere said:
While looking to add another TDI to my all diesel fleet, I stopped to check out an awesome looking Golf parked by the road for sale. It turned out to be a 20th ae 1.8t 6spd manual. My wife loved the blueberry color and persuaded me to drive it, WOW! what a puller, I had no idea. It is slightly modified with intake and exhaust, popoff valve, and supposedly no tune. Comes with VagCom software, car is all original with less than 100k miles.
Question,
How do these cars compare to the TDI in relation to longevity and fuel economy?
Is there any kind of registry that tracks these numbered cars?
The price seemed ok, bit I am not really sure on a gasser. (9k)

Comments? Opinions?

Does it come with a crack pipe? I bet there is one somewhere around the guy that owns the car..... You may have caught a whiff yourself since you believed that line of ----.:D :D

50 mpg from a 1.8t is just a bit 'out there'.

Bill

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
That's what I thought, AJA, didn't they only produce these for one year? it is an '03. CAD, that is what I would have guessed, 24 to 28 seems much more realistic to me, even the 34 - 36 sounds a bit high. 40X, I looked around for an eight ball, but didn't see evidence of one (other than the mpg claim). He did tell us that a lot of people had looked at it, and most were looking for a TDI, so knowing he needs to move the car, I can't blame him too much for trying to make it sound comparable. I just really need a four door. Sweet car though, is it priced right?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Some people can say anything when they're trying to sell their car. That's why you'll never find the biggest liars selling used cars. The biggest liars are the ones telling about their trade in and all the TLC they supposedly put into it.

Trbogolf

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Sportwagen
I had both a 2000 and a 2004 1.8T. Both were 5 speed cars. On the highway I could get 31-33 average but around town was closer to 24 due to both being chipped and me having a heavy right foot. Great engines. I put 102000 on the '00 before selling it and it's still running strong at ~130,000.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
He must be some hypermiler then to claim those numbers......all highway you may be looking at 35mpg.

And yes they were limited, production number i believe is on the center of the dash somewhere?

I dont think the 6th gear helps much in mileage in comparison to a 5th gear, because they are very close to being the same gear. Essentially to compare the transmissions, the 6-spd you go through 5 gears instead of 4 before your final gear.

For those using fuelly.....nobody seems to break 30mpg average for MK4's : http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti

Last edited:

Diesel_Mikey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I've hardly ever heard an ill word spoken about the 1.8T, but 50 mpg just doesn't pass the smell test. Low 30s is more like it if you're lucky/take it easy on the pedal (at which point, why have a GTI at all, 20th anniversary edition or no?)

From what I'm told, it's a great little mill, but if the guy's trying to tell you 50mpg I wonder what else he's lying about.