TDI on Motor Age magazine

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
wow. pretty good article. I was waiting for the bashing the whole time, but apparently he took a neutral approach like he should have. Making us diesel mechanics proud!

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Excellent reading with plenty of 'new information' for those of us who don't yet own a CR TDI. As an example:
"A huge step forward was achieved [on the CR TDI] with the use of pressure-sensing glow plugs (PSGs) for closed-loop combustion control. Using a piezo-resistive element and an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) built into the glow plug body, combustion pressures in the cylinder can be measured in real time. This information then can be used to adjust injection timing, thus enabling compensation for varying cetane ratings in diesel fuel. Because combustion pressure is directly related to temperatures in the cylinder, the PSG feedback loop can be used to adjust fuel delivery to limit peak combustion pressures and thus, NOx formation. Misfire detection also is much more accurate using a PSG."
Article also includes a high-level overview of DPF, high pressure EGR and NOx catalyst.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, I was actually impressed, as usually those articles have a lot of mistakes, misinformation, or silly one-sided commentary. Nice to see one that was factual and straightforward, as well as informative.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Nice for me to learn about the differences in all these engine names and numbers that get thrown around. Lots of information for the non-machanic.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
- "The number of shops that perform TDI service are relatively few and far between, and the good ones are rarer still."

So true! And you, OH, are by all accounts responsible for the existence of one of those rarer still shops. Tucson is a bit of a dead zone. Good article. A lot has changed since my ALH.

traxterXT

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2005
Pressure-sensing glow plugs (PSGs).... that sounds like a 500$ glow plug problem...Are they bosch because i'm not buying it lol

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
^^ x2. Thanks, OH. I found this article to be well researched, organized and presented. It serves as an excellent chronology of the VW TDI engines. Nice to see someone with mechanical aptitude who can write well. Errr, I mean.... nice to see someone who can write well, and also has mechanical aptitude ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
How about... It's great to see someone with mechanical knowledge that can express it in such a way that we can all understand it.