TDI Alberta Weather

cansat

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
It has been quite cold this days here in Calgary.
Temp: are like -20 and (-30 including wind)
At around 16:00 I started the car and let it idle for 20 min before I went home to Airdrie. And as soon as I got on the highway that car start fogging up. Could not seen through any of the windows. The Heather blow only medium warm air. I did had to gear down to 4th gear and try to rep up the engine to get it a bit warmer. By the the time I got home all the windows were clear. 45 min drive. it took. The Dealer did say that the new 2010 TDI's are retrofitted for Canada!
What am I missing? Is that normal? What I have to do when It get -40????
That is just wrong
Regards
Can

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
That actually seems about right. I don't know what they retro fit but the TDI engine is so efficient that it doesn't warm up well. The idling likely didn't do much good either. On the MKIV gen cars they had winder fronts to block some incoming air for the engine to help with warming. I don't know if you can get those. Also don't know if you could use pipe insulation to block your grill like others have either. Make sure to clear the snow from the bottom of the windshield so none of that gets pulled in, melted and sent as steam and refreezing to your cold windshield from the inside. Doesn't hurt to breath slowly through the nose as well so your breath doesn't fog it up either. If you haven't looked into it but have access to a plug in look at the frost heater. That will get your engine operating temps from just being plugged in and you won't have to worry about this.

rojhero

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon
About the fogging problem. Make sure the recirculate button is off, turn to the defrost option, and put the temperature control on hot (or whatever you feel like). If that still doesn't work, turn on the air conditioning. The system also works as a dehumidier.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
At around 16:00 I started the car and let it idle for 20 min before I went home to Airdrie. And as soon as I got on the highway that car start fogging up. Could not seen through any of the windows. The Heather blow only medium warm air. I did had to gear down to 4th gear and try to rep up the engine to get it a bit warmer. By the the time I got home all the windows were clear. 45 min drive. it took. The Dealer did say that the new 2010 TDI's are retrofitted for Canada!
That is just wrong
Regards
Can
you should not let the car idle, because diesel engines are so efficient it wont heat up

start the car, turn on the rear defroster and turn on the heater to max with the ac on, this will remove any excess moisture

then just drive away normally

Nathanvw92

TDI
2003 Jetta
My car does the same thing. Installed a frostheater last year and purchased a a4 jetta winter front for only $50 from VW. Now the car takes half as long to warm up. Even in -29 like this morning. My car did start to cool down in the stop and go, but it was bearable.

Supposed to warm up by Friday YAY!!!

cansat

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Thanks to all
& coalminer16 you are right I did have some snow below the wipers. That caused the fogging. Today it was colder but no fogging. Still there is not much heat in the inside of the car. Its still under warranty I will drop it off & let the dealer deal with it.
In the old day the have had an thermostat (inside engine water cooling system) one for winter & a different one for the summer.
It seem the car is just not build to deal with the cold weather. I got 2 small children, they just don't like it when it's cold in the car.

Thanks

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Put in a frostheater, have it come on a couple hours (3 in this cold snap) before you plan on driving. Get in put the heat on 2 until temp gauge is at 90. It will blow instant heat as soon as you get in.

Pick up the winter front from rosstech and you will be good to go.

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
Second vote for the Frostheater! Not the easiest install ever, but doable. Quality kit. Also, there is an electric heating element in the dash until then - won't be very hot, but better than blowing cold air through. Just have the heat control toward the hot end, you'll feel warm(ish) air almost instantly.

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
Stop idling, that is bad for the engine your wallet and the environment.
There is a good thread some were on blocking air through the rad.
Remember to stuff a plastic bag over the inter cooler that adds as much heat blocking the rad. The coolant glow plugs only work if the a/c is turned on. I have done all of the above and the only car I had that was more comfortable was a S class MB with double glazed windows.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Stop idling, that is bad for the engine your wallet and the environment.
There is a good thread some were on blocking air through the rad.
Remember to stuff a plastic bag over the inter cooler that adds as much heat blocking the rad. The coolant glow plugs only work if the a/c is turned on. I have done all of the above and the only car I had that was more comfortable was a S class MB with double glazed windows.
This is the thread about blocking the rad, IDK how it'll work on a new Golf though.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160835

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Ya, we are down to -4 at this second, going to get to -12 with -40 wind chill. Not as cold as up there but the cold is coming people.

The thermostat won't matter in this case. Your car is just going to take a long time to warm up and idling doesn't put enough load on the engine to warm up. That is why they say to just drive as that puts more load on and heats it up. Any heat generated at idle is quickly lost to the surrounding air when cold. The frost heater is your best bet or for about $1000 you can install a webasto heater that uses your battery and diesel fuel to get both the cab and engine warm. Truckers use it and there is at least one member on here that uses it. That why you wouldn't need to be by a plug in. The catch 22 with such an efficient car (no matter the car) is they don't was much energy (whether that be in heat or HP).

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
-40 with a wind chill tonight! Too cold, car sounds angry all the time. There's a thread somewhere in here about using pipe insulation to cover your grilles. I did it today, worked perfectly. Car warms up a lot faster and stays warmer longer. That coupled with the frost heater and I have perfect warm interior!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Knock it off wioth the don't let it idle crap. It's good for the car for at least a few minutes in cold weather.

you should not let the car idle, because diesel engines are so efficient it wont heat up

start the car, turn on the rear defroster and turn on the heater to max with the ac on, this will remove any excess moisture

then just drive away normally

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That is just wrong
Regards
Can

The car has a supplemental heater. Read the owners manual. Defrost on, blower high, run the AC and the electric heater comes on.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
The car has a supplemental heater. Read the owners manual. Defrost on, blower high, run the AC and the electric heater comes on.

Really? Not on MKIVs though right? Also, minus 40 c which equals minus 40 F as well. Very cold..

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Heres the link...again. lol

-40 with a wind chill tonight! Too cold, car sounds angry all the time. There's a thread somewhere in here about using pipe insulation to cover your grilles. I did it today, worked perfectly. Car warms up a lot faster and stays warmer longer. That coupled with the frost heater and I have perfect warm interior!
PIPE INSULATION GRILL COVER
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160835

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE

So now we believe whatever the Canadian Government says?

If it's -35c outside, idle your damn car for a minute. The oil NEEDS to get to the top of the engine. I always idle my car for a few minutes. I take my time and clear all the snow and ice from my car. This time also helps with my heat up time. I find with 5 minutes of idling the car will heat up much quicker when driving.

Anyone who says a TDI will not warm up while idling, hasn't tired very long.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
the oil for a 2010 is castrol slx professional 5w30

notice a pour point at -45c

Test Method(s) Unit Typical​
Density @ 15C,
Relative
ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.8515
Appearance Visual amber with
slight haze
Viscosity,
Kinematic 100C
ASTM D445 mm​
2/s 12.1
Viscosity,
Kinematic 40C
ASTM D445 mm
2/s 73
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 160
Calcium, % wt ASTM D4951 % wt 0.151
Phosphorus, %
wt
ASTM D4951 % wt 0.076
Zinc, % wt ASTM D4951 % wt 0.083

Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -45

unless you are starting your car in weather below say -50c, the oil will reach the top end in a few seconds(perhaps a minute at most)

i disagree with EXTENDED idling because of engine oil contamination etc

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Bluesmoker...you are in a pretty warm climate and...aside from the last few days you probably have NEVER had a need to idle your car after start up! At my house this morning, it was -35...and I idled for atleast 5 min. I don't do this often, but when its this cold...I will, with no regrets!

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well it would seem that some of the idlers are coming out of the closet. Nice to meet you guys. I also will idle my TDI for a few minutes when it is really cold out. I even allow it to idle a half a minute to a minute when it is warm out.

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
That's a great link with a lot of valid points. I think the key thing here is that there is a BIG difference between 'unecessary' & 'excessive' (as the article eludes to) idling; and idling for a few minutes on start up at -30C & colder.

I don't like idling my car either - for the reasons mentioned in the article - but, when it's -30, I'll definately be letting it run for a few minutes before driving off...

With regards to the coolant GP's only activating w/ the AC on - that doesn't seem to make much sense - is that true for MKIV's as well? Are you sure they never come on in very cold weather? generate extra heat for the AC compressor, but not for the engine in cold temps?

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I let mine idle for maybe a minute tops....basically until it's running smoother which usually only takes a few seconds. Then I drive unaggressively until it heats up.
In the last day or two it takes like 15 minutes to get the heat up to normal...and it drops a bit while sitting at lights.

I only have a circulation heater (frost heater) installed. Been thinking about putting on that pipe insulation in the front grill for days like this.

I think slightly advancing the timing should help a bit with warming it up faster....plus it'll start easier.

-26C today...supposed to jump up to 0C by tomorrow and stay in the single digit minuses for at least a few days....so not so bad. And good for the Grey-Cup this weekend. :)

PS: For anyone who may be wondering...DO NOT accelerate hard or rev the crap out of the car before it's warmed up to operating temp (center of the temp gage). Sure it may warm up the car faster...but doing so causes lots of extra wear on the engine.
I've known people who would start their car and immediately rev the piss out of it to warm it up in winter...still makes me cringe.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
So there's lots of people that will pull up to a fresh traffic light, stop, turn their cars off, and wait? Because in Calgary there are a few lights that take longer than a minute to rotate.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I sometimes turn mine off if I ever get stuck waiting at a rail-crossing for a long train.

But other than that I leave it running. And I probably wouldn't turn it off in really cold temps either.

A person would need to roll a window down to prevent the inside from fogging up....or they could keep the cabin fan running if they aren't worried about their battery.
To me, turning off the car while waiting at a light in cold weather equals freezing my butt off.:)

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
With that cold stretch and no coolant heater in the passat once I started the girl up, she idled for 5-10 mins. Why, well I find that 5 mins of idle at -30`c will allow some of parts around the engine a fighting chance.
Turbo's are essentially a large metal object. Start and go with it being that cold and hammer on the accelerator for something and yes it can break in 2. You might say, why would you have to hammer the accelerator, well the wife does not always remember how cold it is. Other thing is, living in a city and a busy intersection sometimes you have to do it or else you are not going to move for a bit.

5 mins of idling 10x a year at most vs cost of a turbo, idling is cheaper.

I picked up a coolant heater for the passat today, but that only is good when the car is home. When my wife is at work there is no place to plug in, and it takes 15 mins to walk to the car, so 30 min lunch is not good for starting it for a few mins in between.

I hate the lose of fuel, but I hate working on the car in -35`c on the driveway more. I have done a turbo on the driveway in -25`c before for my alh and now am trying real hard not to have to do it again.

Just my 2 cents

Benjamin