Tailpipe soot

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
How much soot is normal/acceptable in our Passats? I read a thread in the emissions forum that was mostly about soot on 2010s being an indicator of a big problem. Is it okay to have some soot in the tailpipes of our 2012+ models? Mine is somewhat sooty at 35k miles. Like, enough to dirty a paper towel swiped on the inside, but not thick or dark. Does that mean I have a problem that just hasn't gotten bad enough yet to trigger a CEL or fault code?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It seems to me that the pipes on the CKRA engines in the NMS Passats are not as clean as the CBEA and CJAA engines in the Golf/Jetta/Beetle/Sportwagon/A3. So if your car is running OK, and has no MIL on, you should be alright.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Seems pretty normal to me. I have a 2013 and I can get paper towel dirty if I run it around the inside of my tailpipe. Figure with road grime, and water, and such from driving around in the summer/winter...a certain amount is going to happen.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Mine has done exactly what you describe for as long as I've had it. I picked up on the grey "soot" very early on and kept an eye on it, only to find that it hasn't worsened over time. Initially, I, too, was concerned about a leaky DPF that might eventually cause a CEL, but I've since concluded that the DPF is fine. I think the material collecting on the tailpipe is not soot but most likely harmless ash, since it is grey instead of the thick black associated with a compromised DPF.

Anyways, here's my old thread on the topic. I hope it helps ease your concern.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411574