Stuck in 29 Palms, TB issues (at least)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I am posting this for
EKSTER,
a new member in trouble.

He started having trouble in 29 Palms, CA.

We got down to loose timing belt, can move more than 1.5". It is so loose that he can turn his TB tensioner pulley by hand and tell that the bearings in it are shot.

He heard a clanking noise from the engine at idle.

So it sounds as if he may need a TB and possibly head replacement.

I gave him contact info for Harvieux and Scott.

If anyone can give him a hand, I can give you his phone number.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
EKSTER's car was back on the road as of last night! Continuing on his journey today. I just got back home after 3 days of work and a few setbacks.

Long story short, the engine is nearly rebuilt!

I got out there Monday night, Franko6 overnighted a cylinder head and necessary parts that arrived Tuesday morning.

A few hours before the parts arrived, I start tearing into the car. The Flennor brand timing belt tensioner basically exploded. Spring out the back, bearings out the front. The belt itself was still intact. The water pump also had an iffy bearing.

Get the cam off, exhaust lifter on #3 was pushed up and cracked. Good thing Frank's sending us a head!

Get the head off, nothing is broken at least. All four pistons show signs of exhaust valve contact. Rotate the crank over by hand, without having a dial indicator handy at that moment, found a very obvious variation just by eye. #1 and 2 pistons protruded normally. #3 and 4 were flush with the block. That's not good.

Pulled the oil pan, marked and unbolted the connecting rods. Sure enough, #3 and 4 rods were bent. Aaron overnighted Rostens and new bearings.

Pop those in on Wednesday, borrowed a dial indicator from a very generous local (I didn't have mine with me as I was in El Cajon all weekend for some TDI work there--didn't pack all the tools for a head job!) and measure piston protrusion. The 2 hole headgasket was no longer thick enough... local (by local I mean about 30 minutes away) CarQuest came through with a 3 hole Victor Reinz gasket early the next morning (no overnight shipping charge this time!). Got it put together, ran it upto temp and got cleaned and packed up before running out of daylight Thursday.

That was a bit of a crazy, unexpected project! The car is running strong, starts right up and seems to be in otherwise good shape. I wish Eric the best of luck in his trip back to his home state (and mine!) of Michigan.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Cell phone pic for the hell of it:

Yeah, out in the middle of the desert is NOT the ideal place to be taking apart an engine... Fortunately, it rained the day before we got started and it kept the dust down reasonably well. Wind stayed calm yesterday during the head install.

The things I do... yeah.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Awesome job, Matt!!!!

pretty freakin' epic save

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
The wind picked up out here, can't imagine what it's like out in the 29. Glad you saved a new tdi owner in distress. Sorry it ever happened though =(

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Matt, as usual ... Great job! Please pencil in March 24 & 25!

CustomShirt

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Matt's a great guy... takes adversity in stride. Not much of a fusser or complainer!

Glad to have him within reach!