Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Never had a diesel complaint, but I did have a few truck drivers circled the pump and give me the looks.

The funniest was when I was crossing the border in my little blue 01 beetle with the flower still in the vase. I went to the border guard handed my passport, he asked why I'm going then he looks at the car and asked me whose car it is. It's mine. He nods asked me some more questions, that it says to me so, really, whose car is it? It's mine I see so we chat a little longer, he looks at me again and asked me for the third time, okay seriously, whose car is that? I said I got the ownership I can show you but he said that's fine. I guess me, 5'10, 230 lb shaved head and the 50 inch chest is not your average VW beetle driver
You're a small guy compared to me - 6feet, 250-260 pounds (no idea on chest size, but I buy shirts at the Big and Tall stores)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Today at the circle K where i go for coffee and dohnuts on my way to work.... there was a MASSIVE diesel spill on the ground. enough for it to overflow over ther level ground pad and 30 feet down to the drain!
this was not some careless thing, i casually asked whats up with the mess and the cones etc.... clerk said some idiot tried to fill up a trash can with diesel and it fell out the back of the minivan he was trying to load it into. Said it was one of those big ones, she said it was 10 gallons of fuel that 100% of it down the drain.....
now that i think of it i should have asked if the cops were called or something! maybe well see it on some CCV on youtube sometime!

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Today at the circle K where i go for coffee and dohnuts on my way to work.... there was a MASSIVE diesel spill on the ground. enough for it to overflow over ther level ground pad and 30 feet down to the drain!
this was not some careless thing, i casually asked whats up with the mess and the cones etc.... clerk said some idiot tried to fill up a trash can with diesel and it fell out the back of the minivan he was trying to load it into. Said it was one of those big ones, she said it was 10 gallons of fuel that 100% of it down the drain.....
now that i think of it i should have asked if the cops were called or something! maybe well see it on some CCV on youtube sometime!

People like that actually have drivers licenses, reproduce and vote. It’s a scary world we live in.

Golf Wang

TDI
2016 Touareg TDI Exec
so it finally happened. had an attendant fill my tdi with regular gas -_-. i pulled up to the diesel pump(but it was one of those dual hose pumps that does both) handed him my card and said "fill it diesel" and went inside the store to use the bathroom. came back out and the car was all filled up and done. i drove out of the station and like half a mile down the road the car stalled out and wouldnt start back up. at the time i didnt even think of it, and just assumed my fuel pump went. so i had it towed to vw and assumed it was gonna be a new fuel pump under warranty and they assumed the same until they went to work on it and realized the tank was full of regular gas. worst part is i never got a reciept from the gas attendant and by the time it was all realized it was almost a weeek after the fact. so i didnt bother going to the shell station and putting up a fight id probably lose. $600 lesson learned to be more diligent and avoid filling up anywhere besides my local station where they know me as soon as i pull in and i dont even have to tell them anything
$600? I figured it’d ruin the entire dueling system

Reactions: Ton

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This past Wednesday (5/25/22), for the 2nd time in slightly over 42 years, I had a station attendant come out and tell me I just put Diesel in my car............................................. Seriously, 2nd time in 42 years of driving VW Diesels !

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Only the second? Surprising.
This past Wednesday (5/25/22), for the 2nd time in slightly over 42 years, I had a station attendant come out and tell me I just put Diesel in my car............................................. Seriously, 2nd time in 42 years of driving VW Diesels !

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Only the second? Surprising.
Trust me! And, I've owned a 1980 Rabbit, 1981 Jetta, 1984 Jetta, 2000 Jetta, 2003 Jetta and have an ALH in a Vanagon (all diesels). I've driven well over 1 million miles in VW Diesels. Except for the Vanagon and 81 Jetta, I drove them all on the job as well as to the jobs. I've driven the Vanagon with the ALH over 85k miles. Honestly, I question many of these stories.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Trust me! And, I've owned a 1980 Rabbit, 1981 Jetta, 1984 Jetta, 2000 Jetta, 2003 Jetta and have an ALH in a Vanagon (all diesels). I've driven well over 1 million miles in VW Diesels. Except for the Vanagon and 81 Jetta, I drove them all on the job as well as to the jobs. I've driven the Vanagon with the ALH over 85k miles. Honestly, I question many of these stories.
Most times nowadays ppl just don't care enough to say anything. Not hard to hear the diff of a diesel. Both times I had it was at small town fuel stations. One was in cloquet. Their diesel pump was wayy off from the gas pumps. Guy came out after guy canceled the pump twice. The dad came out and remanissed about the old TDI he had back in the day.

TDI
2014 golf tdi
Was about to fill up once, and a guy by a trans-am yelled over at me and told me it was diesel pump and not to put it my car. I told him I know and this car is a diesel car. It was a pretty funny scene he looked like a real tool in front of his gf. (she was laughing at him, and saying something about him thinking he knew a lot about cars etc) He asked what kind of milage I get and then I told him that I average about 700 to 800 miles on a tank, then he asked me how big the tank is and I told him it was around 15 gallons. Then he said he wished his got that kind of milage. He filled up got in his car and left. I was still sitting there venting so i can squeeze some more fuel in the tank.
That is always fun. Hade that happen alot here in the midwest

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I always pay at the pump and never bother to shut off the engine. So nobody ever asks me why I'm filling up with diesel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I pulled into to a station in Southern Ohio. Only free diesel pump was on the very end of the row. As I pulled into the pump, a large power company truck was pulling in facing me. He smiled and waved as I got out. Once finished, I quickly moved from the pumps to allow him to get on with his day. Not a big story, but it's all I've got for the last several years.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I pulled up to my favorite pump at the best run Chevron in Roseville (CA).
During the fueling a Union Pacific maintenance foreman and I spoke about my car.
He was interested in three areas: fuel economy, available torque with the manual transmission
and finally the vehicle cost.
After wishing safe journey - he was in charge of track maintenance on the main line - we went
our separate ways.

The next visit to Chevron: you guessed it - he had a car like mine. Smart dude!

ez

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol I only recommend MKIV ‘s to people……and I explain if you do this you have to look after it , but if you take care of it and do what your supposed to…….. well……I’ve been driving one of mine for 20 years so far…….

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
None of the people I know DIY. The old cars are expensive if you can't do this. Most need catch up maintenance. I had a 2003 Beetle but the trusted mechanic left. Picked up my 2015 stop sale Beetle then.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the typical, such as changing fuel filters, air filters, cabin filters (maybe not), oil filters, engine oil, transmission fluid/oil and blinker fluid is basically the same on all vehicles as well as replacing batteries, starters, alternators, etc. Beyond those, are things like rotors, CV Joints, ball joints, sway bar bushings, and "sometimes" before 400k miles, front and rear wheel bearings that are also pretty typical of a 20 year old vehicle (shock absorbers too). As for the TDIs thru 2006, the 100k mile Timing Belt job, which includes a number of other things, is a challenge for most who generally let a guru do the work, if they can find one. Nope, you don't need to begin hand wringing at 75k miles.... even at 5 or 6 years. (yeah, that DMF will sooner or later be problematic)

My son owns my ol' 2000 Jetta with 388k on it. A couple of weeks ago I replaced the transmission due to 5th gear issues (a story in of itself). I own my brother's ol' 2003 with the engine from his formerly owned 2001 (which got T-boned). Everything works, including the AC. I drive it weekly where or when I don't want to drive our Tiguan 4-motion. The TDI gets double the fuel economy as the Tig.

Fortunately for me, I always had access to my uncle's automotive garage ..... did all my own maintenance there. When I retired, I built a small garage for my tinkering and hobby VW maintenance. I'm the only person in probably 75 to 100 miles with VCDS and that does work on MKIVs. But, like others, I'm in the process of winding down ........ COVID never treated me well and age is catching up too!

Lastly, I enjoyed the cheaper price of Diesel Fuel in my VWs from 1980 thru 2005 when the price went above RUG. Today, at more than a dollar per gallon above RUG, and many places a $1.25 or more, well, it isn't fun any more ,,, in fact, it sucks other than with the ALH in my 84 Vanagon which gets almost double the MPGs of the OE gasser engine (and, oh the torque).

Oh, I don't recommend a TDI to anyone either, as likely they will be calling me to do work on it ... The heyday of the TDI in North America is in the rear view mirror .. sadly.

• Sad

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 1935 Ford Sedan is my simple car. It is EASY compared to anything in 50 years. I know how to do a lot of things but don't have the limberness I used too. Hence modern car under warranty. The Beetle works for me even though I really didn't know if I would like it. Retirement is only a few years out if conditions improve.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@AndyBees - How good is your Tiggy? Mine has been reporting as high as 38mpg on RUG @70mph, but usually averages closer to 30mpg with all the stop and go wife does with the kids. Best tank was over 540miles.

Hard to justify the Golf or Beetle when diesel is pushing $2.00/gal premium around here. Best price was $2.93/RUG and about lowest D2 was $4.79 though $4.99 most common.

Has anyone seen the lines at Costco??? It's retarded how long they are. Even have to have a couple people directing traffic to prevent total chaos.

Jason

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@AndyBees - How good is your Tiggy? Mine has been reporting as high as 38mpg on RUG @70mph, but usually averages closer to 30mpg with all the stop and go wife does with the kids. Best tank was over 540miles.

Hard to justify the Golf or Beetle when diesel is pushing $2.00/gal premium around here. Best price was $2.93/RUG and about lowest D2 was $4.79 though $4.99 most common.

Has anyone seen the lines at Costco??? It's retarded how long they are. Even have to have a couple people directing traffic to prevent total chaos.

Jason
Jason, my Tig sucks in reference to MPGs. I've never seen over 26 MPG and I've been keeping records from day one. It is a 2011 that we purchased with low miles about three years ago.

I recently did the Intake port cleaning, new Intake, new plugs, new water pump, upgraded rear main seal, complete timing chain job, all new YTT bolts, new Bosch Injectors, new CV Axles (one CV joint was bad), new top strut bearings and I am sure there is something I'm missing..... the MPGs only improved about 1/2 to 3/4 miles per gallon. I've actually tried to do some semi-hypermiling with very little difference. Today, I accidentally run it up to exactly 360 miles and it was half way thru the red. I filled-up at $3.169 with RUG. Oh, but we love all that torque and zippy acceleration.

Well, good to know mine has some potential ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@AndyBees - Yeah, our older Tiggy would average about that. Only got better on long road trips in favorable conditions. BTW - that engine in a Tiggy is "supposed" to get premium, even though it runs on RUG. I did notice a jump in MPG from RUG to premium, but only works out when the price spread is 10 to 20 cents, not $1-$2.

The new Tiggy with a B-cycle engine and 8 spd has been thrashed in the reviews for its throttle response, but everything else is good. Odd though FWD is the problem, but 4Motion is fine.

Jason

Tdipwr11

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
I've been told it's diesel at the pumps a few times, not realizing it's a diesel car.

Once a truck driver was pissed at his boss and wanted to spend his money filling up my tank - I actually told him not to bother🤣

Last edited:

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
Living in the rural PNW -lifted trucks, CUVs and Subaru's are everywhere.

Pulled up to get fuel on a busy Saturday morning, only two diesel pumps at the station (one diesel pump on either side of the store), both of the cars in my row leave at the same time, the diesel one being closest to me, I pull up and stop - I can see a lady in my mirror "PULL UP, PULL UP" I turn my Beetle off, and see her yell "JESUS F*CK". At this point I'm getting out and she's yelling "MOVE UP!!!" I said it's a diesel and I need to use the diesel pump, she kept screaming "MOVE UP" so I replied, "IT'S A DIESEL!" She scoffed, and left. What. Typical Karen in her 2017 Equinox.

Oregon is nice because if you have diesel, you can pump your own fuel.

In San Francisco - I had a really nice but curious gentlemen ask me how I can put diesel in it, and if it's an electric car. We talked about TDI's and was very interested in the concept.

Overall, people look at me odd grabbing the diesel nozzle, but I've gotten some great conversations with truckbros.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Pulled up to a tiny fuel station, just an attendant booth and two pumps, one regular and one Diesel. I pulled all the way up to the D pump and big dually pickup coming up the other way a few seconds after me kind of stopped like they were waiting for the attendant to tell me to move. He just waved the guy around to he other side. Once he pulled up and got out, he realized his error. Said "Sorry, didn't realize it was a VW".

Was this commercial aired internationally? "Hey lady, that's Diesel!" https://www.adstasher.com/2013/09/hey-lady-thats-diesel-audi-tdi-station.html

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I have one for the first time in a long while...

Was finishing up filling my car at one of my usual stations on the way home from work last night, and in rolled a Jeep Grand Cherokee (looked like a WK-series) with the Common-Rail engine. They settled in behind me to await the small-nozzle pump, and pulled up to it once I left. I didn't have an opportunity to interact with the driver, but never having encountered one of those "in the wild" before, figured it was enough of a "story" to rate dropping it in the thread.

Rob

(P.S. my car took 13.8gal for 606.2 miles, so 43.7MPG. Not too shabby for an auto-equipped ALH with .205 nozzles and no tune, rocking 465,000 miles and change on the odo...)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know of a 2000 NB TDI with an auto trans with over 300k miles on it. I changed the fluid in it for the first time at roughly 225k miles. It has been a daily driver and for commuting to work (slightly over 100 miles per day, plus some on the job driving).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I know of a 2000 NB TDI with an auto trans with over 300k miles on it. I changed the fluid in it for the first time at roughly 225k miles. It has been a daily driver and for commuting to work (slightly over 100 miles per day, plus some on the job driving).
check their intercooler next time you have it in the air, I'd bet it is full of oil with how gently they must drive!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
check their intercooler next time you have it in the air, I'd bet it is full of oil with how gently they must drive!
Actually, every time I've done service on it, I popped the hose to inspect for oil accumulation. I was surprised that it wasn't too bad.
The driver is a young lady nurse. I think she puts it down the road.