Sprinter Buyer's Guide?

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I sold my Cummins last week and will be in the market for a new (to me) truck in a few months. Rather than follow my past mistakes, I'm going to try to make a more informed decision this time. My Cummins replaced a Ford conversion van that I really missed after buying the truck. Yes, the truck got metter fuel mileage, but the van was more useful and a heck of a lot cheaper to fix.

So what I want is another van. Since I have my TDI as a normal DD, fuel mileage is not the #1 concern. Size is. Right now, I'm between a E250, extended rear, raised roof conversion van (a bit of a unicorn, but I've seen them) and a LWB, Hi-roof Sprinter. I have reasonable knowledge about the Fords, but my Sprinter knowledge is a bit lacking. I joined Spriner-Forum.com, but they don't seem to have the same sort of TDIFAQ we have here. I lean towards the Sprinter mainly because of the additional interior height and length as my plan is to build it into a RV/mini-toy hauler for my mtn bikes. It would probably average around 500 miles a month.

Anyway, hopefully some folks here (oilhammer?) can help me:

1. Any years to avoid? I've heard the early ones aren't so great and have had trans problems.

2. I'll probably DIY some maintenance tasks like oil and filter changes, but by and large, I'll probably pay to have this worked on. I'm getting to a point in my life where I'd rather not spend every free moment I have working our cars. With that in mind, what are repair costs like? I found out the hard way the Cummins costs were eye-watering compared to the SBF in my old van. But if I go into it knowing I need to budget $###/yr, I can deal with that.

3. How well do they tow? Eventually, I'd like to get a single-car, enclosed trailer for hauling a race car.

4. I'd like to keep the budget at around $20K. A quick search on eBay seems to indicate that should get me a van ~5 years old with under 100K miles.

Anything else I should look for? Any other good Sprinter forums?

Thanks!

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I drive a Jeep with the same OM642 3L v6 as the Sprinter - it can pull like a Cummins. In the jeep version, there is a flaw in the air intake assembly that results in oil leaking all over your turbo and accumulating in the swirl motor, causing failure and limp-mode. The repair for this has been reported to be around $1500, but there is a delete option that can be performed for a couple of bucks. <edit> Chrysler released a modified air intake assembly to fix the leak - that part is about $100 </edit> I believe the Sprinters also suffer from this problem.

For anyone who buys one, I heartily recommend a tune from GDE it really puts life into the throttle for these engines.

MB (also Dodge) Sprinter forum www.mysprintervan.com

Last edited:

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. So far I haven't seen evidence to support a clear-cut winner although at the moment I'm leaning towards an '06 model. The last of the I-5 engine and no consumable fluids (urea) to deal with.

Also debating between SRW or DRW.

I tend to believe DRW will offer more stability when towing, and since my eventual towing plans would be at the upper ranges of the van's capabilities, this may be important. However, the DRW wheel wells cut into interior space. IIRC, it's less than 48" between them which could be annoying when hauling 4x8 sheets.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sprinters are fantastic, I love them! Tough, reliable, easy to service. The best MB product available here, since they are not wrapped in so much "fluff" that all the rest are... more utilitarian.

There are essentially 2 versions, early and late. I am speaking of those sold here. Early ones are all powered by a 2.7L commonrail 5 cylinder inline, bolted to a 5sp automatic. Later ones got a 3.0L V6 commonrail bolted to a 5sp automatic, and a few of the later ones also got an available 3.5L gas V6 (these are very rare, and I have no clue why anyone of sound mind would want one anyways). The gas engine has since been dropped.

Early ones can be badged as Dodge or Freightliner, later ones are now available as Mercedes-Benz, no more Dodge.

Early ones were available in a "shorty" version, with an even lower roof, smaller wheels, and smaller brakes, and taller rear end gears. Most of these would have been 4cyl in Europe, with a manual, but all ours still got the 5cyl, which means these shorties are actually quite peppy and can tag 30 MPG hwy with light loads.... and even these are cavernous compared to an E-van.

Later ones, no more shorty.... they did not sell many anyways.

I'd stay away from the dually unless you are carrying very heavy loads all the time. Reason is, they have a more expensive tire, and two more of them, and these need rotations a LOT or the fronts will go square in short order. Dually trucks can be a pain to do rotations on, too. I'd stick with the SRW.

Engines are great, they hold a lot of oil (require 229.51 spec 5w40), topside cartridge oil filter, and go 10k miles+ between services.

The 2.7L is signifigantly more fuel efficient than the 3.0L, and isn't really lacking in power. They are actually quite peppy around town.

Early ones do have some rust issues... I think MB built these for tough, almost disposable commercial use, and since they never really get waxed this can be an issue. Don't buy one from the rust belt.

Mileage is unimportant. 200k, 300k, 400k, doesn't matter, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Parking brake mechanisms can stick and rust up from lack of use, charge air tubes can split/leak, turbo resonators can fail, and of course a sensor or EGR valve here and there. Early ones are simpler, and don't have a DPF. Later ones sometimes need DPFs manual regenerated, due to being driven too lightly or too much idle time. Urea didn't come until later, so the earlier 3.0L don't have that. You need a proper scan tool to do this. Glow plug once in a while too (like a TDI).

Later ones are a bit roomier, especially behind the steering wheel, and generally drive a little nicer and have nicer interior bits.

Last edited:

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks.

I can accept the service drawbacks of DRW's if they would make towing more stable or safer. I don't see a lot of Sprinters towing.

After buying E-load rated tires for my Cummins, I'm not terribly worried about the tire costs for the somewhat limited number of miles the van would get each year. Chances are I'd replace the tires due to age before they wore out. Especially if I got a dedicated set of W965's for winter use.

One thing I've read about is the transmissions can sometimes be a problem. Real or internet hearsay?

Of course, in a perfect world I'd get a manual trans with 4WD. :rolleyes:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
We have a 2005 Long, Tall Sprinter and every one of our drivers hates driving it. The ergonomics for the driver just don't work for us, so I would suggest finding one for sale and test driving it, operating everything in the cab, and spending as much time as possible inside it.

At 175,000 we had two cracked pistons and at 185,000 the transmission went belly-up. The good news is that you are Pa., so you are near DoktorA. You can find him on Sprinter-Forum.

Knowledgeable mechanics are hard to find and diagnostic software is expensive. Disconnect the transmission controller and cycle the key on and you will be limping to the dealer to get them to clear the code.

If there was another option for us that would haul what the Sprinter does we would dump this pig.

$2500 for a rebuilt transmission from SilverStar transmission, but since you are local to Dr A, that is the better choice for you.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course keep in mind that my experience is with just one Sprinter that was driven very hard before us. (It had $2000+ worth of radar detector equipment in it - hmmmmm) Maybe we just got that one of a hundred lemon, but this is our experience. But be sure that you are happy with the drivers ergonomics before pulling the trigger.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course keep in mind that my experience is with just one Sprinter that was driven very hard before us. (It had $2000+ worth of radar detector equipment in it - hmmmmm) Maybe we just got that one of a hundred lemon, but this is our experience. But be sure that you are happy with the drivers ergonomics before pulling the trigger.
True... that can happen with any car... I bought my E30 from a BMW enthusiast with a folder full of service records and thought I was buying a good car. It's been a nightmare pretty much since I bought it... you just never know. I'll check the ergonomics again, although I sit in them every year at the auto shows and I don't remember them feeling much different than my old E-series, which was no ergo-queen. My hope/plan is to have this van for a long time, so I would consider a set of aftermarket driving seats like Recaro's or something if necessary.

Unfortunately, Doktor A is in Pittsburgh... which is about a 6 hr drive from home. :( Does sound like a good resource, though.

Thanks again!

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
You might want to invest in a "DAD" diagnostics tool also.... It helps a lot.

2003+ have a different engine with stronger pistons and diff injectors and pumps. Just put together a 03 LWB HR model for a friend of mine after the original engine ran away... EX-FedEX van to top it off.

Transmissions are pretty robust, but the flex plates do like to go bad on the early models.

Stock Sprinter is not all that slow, I had one of mine up to 100MPH on GPS and thats all she would do. Around town it has no issues keeping up with most cars. Malone can tune it for you also ;)

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I...... Any other good Sprinter forums?

Thanks!
only have a quick minute here so....

this is THE forum for Sprinters (noted by whitedog)

Sprinter-Forum.com

The only Sprinters you have to avoid are the same as the TDI's to avoid..the abused and poorly serviced ones. 10+ years with my `03 (and at a young and vibrant 152(?)K)...runs and shifts as new even with a fair amount of (open) car trailer towing.
I'll try and comment more later.....

Plutogogo

We actually running all Sprinter vans in our installation / service fleet. We have 5- 06, 1- 08, and 3- 12 MB Sprinters. All of them we bought brand new except 1 of the 06. 06s are range from 160-200k miles, 08 has 160k, and 12s are acquired with last 6 months.
From fuel efficient stand point, 06s are the most fuel efficient, average 21 MPG (50% city/50% hwy).
Not sure about best year, but for our 06, most of the issue we had were turbo hose and resonator related. We did upgrade the resonators and turbo hose connector on all the 06, and no problem after that.
From service stand point, oil change around 10k. Very easy DYI, or it's about $125 to have it done. we normally clean air filter at every oil change, and change at 40k. We flush transmission fluid every 60k miles. We did had to replace one of the transmission on one around 160k, but we later found out that the van skipped the 120k transmission service. We also had one of the 06 had time chain broke around 180k, and it did costed us $8k to get it repair, but I think this is very rare case and may just been an isolated case. All our drivers are young, and they don't really take care of the car and they are very rough on the vans. Compare to other vans we had before Ford E150, E250, Chevy 1500, GMC3500, Sprinters are much more economical to operate. Brakes are 60k-80k. Tires are around 80k-100k on a good set of Michelin tires. We have few Sprinters with towing hitch and we normally tow 10' job trailers behind it, but not in regular basis.
I think one of the most important factor is find a good reputable Spirnter shop near you. We went thru few before we found a good one, and it makes a world of difference on your repair bill and experience with the van. Dealers typically is the last place you want to go, especially Dodge dealers. I was convinced that the one with transmission replacement can probably been avoided if it was service by our current service shop.
We were a little hesitate to buy another Sprinter van after one of the van broke the timing chain, but after analyze the overall cost of keep the vans on the road, we decided to go with Sprinters for newer van purchases. Even with our low top, the interior space are much better than any of other vans.
If you can get the service record on the van, that will help you determined if the van has been properly service. High mileage is not much of factor if it's has been properly maintained.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the comments! So far, I'm starting to feel a little less hesitant. Now I just have to find a Saturday to go test drive some.

Jetter Sprinta - looking forward to reading about your towing thoughts.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
We actually running all Sprinter vans in our installation / service fleet. We have 5- 06, 1- 08, and 3- 12 MB Sprinters. All of them we bought brand new except 1 of the 06. 06s are range from 160-200k miles, 08 has 160k, and 12s are acquired with last 6 months.
Yesterday I noticed that on our 05, you can't swing the sun visor to the side. Is this because it's a low-end van or is that standard? And is it the same on the NV3?

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
I see a few Sprinters at work, mostly for pm. Occationally diag work, brakes, ball joints, etc. My worst case story is an "early" Sprinter tow-in from another shop, they broke 2 glow plugs. I spent s short time drilling and trying to extract... not working out. Sold time to r+r head. Well the injectors did not budge (the Sprinter tool is a joke, 2lb slide hammer with 4" throw). Had to break the valve cover to get to the head bolts (injectors must be removed to remove valve cover to remove head bolts). Machine shop extracted glow plugs and did a valve job. Gaskets, new valve cover, and it was running again.

X3 - Find a good repair shop that specializes and has the tools for Sprinters.

I find the "newer" Sprinters comfortable, the older ones have a 1970's E150 feel to them.

oilhammer

TDI
1970's E150? LOL, you know the Econoline's body/dash/seats/interior was essentially identical from 1974 through 1991? But yeah, I know what you mean. Of course, even the most frugal Econoline ever built, a half-ton with a 4.9L gasser and a manual trans (yeah, they made 'em) still gobbles nearly twice the go-juice of a Sprinter, so....

Just an FYI, the Transit was at NAIAS this year. The Econoline has one foot in the coffin. Sprinter will finally have a serious competitor... and while Ford of course couldn't keep from stuffing gas engines in the Transit just for us, they are also at least making it available with a 5cyl diesel. :D

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I loved my '90 E-150, so maybe the early interior won't bother me. :p

Looking at the Ford website, the new Transit is show as "available in early 2014" and I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

I'm definitely planning to look at a new Transit, but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money... I "built" an E-250 extended cargo van and it came out to $35K and that's before finding a raised roof (mandatory) as well as a few other odds and ends I'd probably have to talk to an actual dealer to sort out. Granted, this is better than a new Sprinter at $54K, although that includes the high roof and a number of specialty options like Aux heat and A/C that aren't even available on the Ford plus it's considerably larger.

Nor am I sure I want to buy a first-year production vehicle. It always seems better to give them a year or two to work out the manufacturing bugs. This seems to have worked out well for me with my '03 TDI and is one reason why I lean towards an '06 Sprinter.

oilhammer

TDI
The Transit has been around since the '60s. The current version that we will get I think has been around since 2006. It will, however, be changed some from the Euro version, and will be assembled here. But still, it is not really "new".

NelsonJetta

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Yesterday I noticed that on our 05, you can't swing the sun visor to the side. Is this because it's a low-end van or is that standard? And is it the same on the NV3?
The fixed Sunvisor is standard with Sprinters.
I have the '02 Sprinter and love it's multi-purpose practicallity, great MPGs.
Transmissions are strong if maintained.
Finding a knowledgeable mechanic and one who doesn't charge $200/hr is very difficult but important in me keeping the Sprinter. MB designed them to need MB mechanics to help their bottom line, but some mechanics have defected to independant shops to help out Sprinter owners.

Izuk

TDI
00' nb tdi
sprinter.

Just saw this topic and wanted to add my experience
My work truck is an 08' sprinter 3500, 3.0 5speed auto dually. It is also the biggest one avalible i beleave it is 177".
Truck normally weights in right under 10k lbs.
We have owned it since new and i have been the only one driving it for the past few years. It currently has 185k on it. Being a tdi driving mpg nut i always calculate the mpg on fillups. It always gets atleast 17.5mpg, it will reach 20 on more highway driven tanks.
It isnt always driven easy as with my job sometimes im in a hurry.
Our company has and does own all the other box trucks and cargo vans. It is by far the nicest most comfertable of our fleet. Oil changes have always been done right around 10k, service has all been done, it doesnt use a drop of anything. In the time we have had it we havnt had alot of problems with it. Recently had the glowplug module go out, as well as the ambient air sensor. The intercooler was replaced only due to it being struck by something and broke.
Two front wheels both ended up cracking, but after further talking to one of the other drivers we know it was abused... lol
So anyway, i spent alot of time in it, and put alot of miles on and love it, the climate control works well, all power accessorys still all work.the stability controll is great, traction controll also works great, i run 4 chunky studed snow tires on it in the winter in the back and it does well.
It did have some rust issues. Rear of the back inner fenders which i had repaired at a body shop last summer for around $200.
And it has some surface rust spots on the body, im plannin to get it back in the body shop when it warms up and get then taken care of b4 they get to bad.
The undercarriage is spotless and solid. And i do live in the salt belt.
I always tell my boss anytime we talk about the sprinter "yep! Still workin great and i still got dibs if we ever sell it!"

Last edited: