sportwagen MPG

tdi_assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen tdi cr140
So, as I'm sure we all did, got the TDI for it's gas mileage. I have a 2012 sportwagen 2.0 tdi cr140 with the 6 speed dsg. I made sure the tires were at 35psi as the door placard suggested, run biodiesel mix (all we have here), put diesel kleen with all my fill ups, don't run max ac, don't act like im Jesse from fast and the furious, and try to drive conservatively. Yet my average FE is only 31 mpg mix driving (50/50 highway city) and 36 highway. Is this common with the larger wagon?

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I don't know what's going on with your car but I have the same Jetta except I have the DSG and in mixed driving I get ~36 mpg and ~45 mpg on the highway. We rarely use the AC though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Drive harder, and get the car broken in some. You'll likely never come ahead money wise if all you purchased the car for was fuel economy. There are less expensive options out there. A/C has little to do with it, since the car's HVAC system will use is variable displacement compressor to get the best most efficient use as it can, so once the cabin heat has been taken away, it uses very little energy to maintain that temp. The manuals would get better (and would save you an extra $1100 at purchase, plus another ~$1000 every 100k miles of use). However the DSG does an admirable job of maximizing fuel economy for an automatic. You really can't get any better in that respect.

GAZNRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
From my experience: If you can keep the RPM's under 2,000 with temp over 50F you will get your best economy. My commute is 33 miles each way... AM I get better MPG than the stop & go on the way home. Winter I avg 37-39 & summer 41-43. The VW MPG meter is fantasy...do the math for the real results.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
With 50city/50hwy you should still be ~36+ mpg.
I'd check to ensure the parking brake isn't slighty engaged even when 'off'.

If your trips tend to be very short...like less the 10 miles you'll see lower mpg's.

I average 39mph with 40% city/ 60% hwy. Lots of 80-85 mph due to Austin's 80/85 mph toll road speed limits.

Last edited:

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I also have a 2012 with the DSG and after 3 years and nearly 70K miles I am still only averaging 35-36 for the life of the car. I expected better now that it's "broken in" and maybe it will rise with temps warming.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I only average 36 or so. On a trip I am lucky to get 42.

Donald

n8tgc

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
How many miles is your commute? With my 45 mile commute each way to work each day on my 2013 DSG JSW, I am getting 42 City and 50+ highway MPG. Tank averages are 45+. I've notices that until I surpass about 20 miles each way, the "average" is nothing to get excited about.

No fuel additives. 35 PSI in tires. That's it, other than an "Italian Tune Up" once or twice per tank to make sure the car can scoot when need be. :cool:

So, as I'm sure we all did, got the TDI for it's gas mileage. I have a 2012 sportwagen 2.0 tdi cr140 with the 6 speed dsg. I made sure the tires were at 35psi as the door placard suggested, run biodiesel mix (all we have here), put diesel kleen with all my fill ups, don't run max ac, don't act like im Jesse from fast and the furious, and try to drive conservatively. Yet my average FE is only 31 mpg mix driving (50/50 highway city) and 36 highway. Is this common with the larger wagon?

kobrian85

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT Pano
I'm between 36 and 41 per tank in my 2014 TDI 6MT. My commute to work is 60 miles round trip. Admittedly, I have a heavy foot on the highway...

tdi_assaultwagen

TDI
I have been driving 60 miles each way for the past few days to Austin and back. I did notice it kept going into regeneration mode when I first got it used a few months ago. I added some dpf cleaner additive and did a 100 mile trip to try to clean it out. Brakes are good with no handbrake issues. Just did the 40k service minus the dsg service I'm doing next week. It does putter a bit when I first take off. Might take it in to see if there is an issue im missing.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have a '14 JSW TDI 6MT with about 21k miles on it. I just completed a 1250 mile (total round trip) trip and got 40.88 mpg for the trip. I drove the way anyone looking at a 625-mile day (or night on the return) would. Getting there and off the road was more important than saving $6 on fuel...

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
My 14 Wagen TDI 6MT averages 42 in the winter and 45-49 on summer fuel. I have a 108 round trip mile commute. 75% at 65mph, 20% at 55mph and the last 5% at 45 or less.

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
I have the same model/year as you. My driving is about 70% highway. Overall average is just over 40mpg. Strict highway driving at 65mph is about 45 mpg. City driving is about 32 mpg.

Check your tachometer when driving on the highway. 2000 rpms seems to be around the high end of the efficiency sweetspot for the TDi. Over that, efficiency appears to drop off fairly steeply.

I also use a cetane additive. It seems to help improve milage.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
My commute is mostly stop and go, sometimes more stopping than going on the way home due to the traffic. Commuting mileage is usually around 29-31 mpg's. On longer highway trips going with the speed of traffic, I get about 40-42 ish.

I don't completely blame the car for my poor commuting mileage. I do accelerate quickly from a stop, and sitting in traffic equals 0 mpg so that doesn't help either. I also refuse to be a rolling road block at 55 on the highway. I'll just take the 5 mpg hit and go 70.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At about 75k miles on the JSW, my lifetime average is around 40. Last couple of tanks, I've been around 44 with mixed driving mostly 45-50 mpg. My wife's golf is around 35k miles and she's getting about 34 mpg lifetime. Her mix is heavier city traffic. So traffic patterns have a large influence on the overall mileage.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
2014 JSW purchased July '14. Last fill was at 16203 miles, cumulative average mpg to date(calculated from actual fill) is 47.3 mpg. Worst tank 40.7 driving to Lincoln, NE against a headwind. Best tank 51 mpg driving to Kentucky in calm conditions. I rarely exceed 70 mph indicated on the speedometer. Around home, lots of rural two lane 55 mph or less, no short trips. It's an awesome car!

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Mine doesn't get the mpg I had hoped for but as noted above, I didn't buy it just for the mpg. I really like the way the TDI performs. I really haven't noticed an improvement as the miles rolled up but yes, it does quite a bit better in warm weather than in cold but I believe that is true of all engines.

On a long trip doing all the tricks I can get well into the 40's but I hate driving like that. I'm averaging about what others are noting here. Around 36.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
the only time I see low thirties is towing a trailer, mine gets much closer to 45 avg although my commute is pretty long 52 miles and off peak traffic hours. This is over 110000 miles of written fuel records. I have 16" wheels and no roof rack / sunroof.

since getting it tuned the mileage is about 3 mpg better, you will see better mileage as the engine breaks in, and you will want to drive it with purpose, if you baby it any fuel you save will be used to burn all the soot you are making out of your DPF

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If you have a roof rack installed it will dramatically effect MPG in a negative way.
If you're not using it at all you can remove it and see a 3-5mpg increase.

DSG can also effect the MPG that you'd see on these cars since 6th is a bit shorter running about 200rpm higher at 70mph. That said I was torn on the DSG choice. Really came down to what was available when I got my car. The DSG is one of the only automatics that I can truely say I wouldn't mind owning.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Our lifetime composite mileage is around 36 with more highway miles than city. We do a little over 40 on the road.
With the city at 30 and highway at 40 on the 2009 JSW with DSG I am pretty satisfied.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
On the highway I get about 45. Last trip I averaged 49 heading off our caprock to lower elevations over about 180 miles. Also, 75+ mph most of the time.

Around town, I get about 35-36.

I am happy with the mileage.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
You could run the tires a bit higher (42psi; but check the side wall max.pressure rating). My average of 37 mpg is for 1/3 city 2/3 highway driving, 40 mile commute (one way). Same car.

Solshd

TDI
2012 VW Jetta SW TDI, 6SpdMan,White Gold, Sunroof
Sportwagen MPG

If I was geting mileage that poor, I would want to have my dealer go through the car. I have the same 2012 JSW TDI as you but with Manual 6sp. Over the past 3.5 years, I have averaged about 47 overall, winter/summer, city/highway. I do not push it too hard, but I do rev the turbo every now and again to keep things loose. I was harder on it earlier to break it in. That would include climbing hills in 2-3rd gear up to 4000 rpm just to work it some.
Good Luck. Go get it checked.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Easily getting 52-53 on highway in my jsw 6mt. Stop and go have seen it get down to 36. Runs alot better minus the emission stuff.

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
13' 6MT with 50k+ on it now. This winter, which in our area was very cold and snowy, I was averaging 35 mpg. That is running snow tires and a roof box. Things have warmed up somewhat and the snow tires and box are off, so I'm up around 39-40 mpg again. Middle of the summer on a road trip I'll get 45-46mpg. I have a heavy foot and like the turbo, I also cruise the highway at 80mph. If I get stuck on back roads behind a slow driver I'll get 50+, but I usually find a place to pass ... :)

tdi_assaultwagen

TDI
Update. My mileage has dropped to 30/35. I took it into a certified vw mechanic that I trust. They spent two hours and went through the whole motor. Nothing. They even did a full scan and a hard reset. During their test drive the consumption meter read 48mpg. The moment I get in and drive it home (being very conservative) it dropped to 32mpg. Starting to get really annoyed. Plus I have burned through half a tank with only 200 miles to show for it. Looks like I'm off to the dealer to spend $200+ for a diagnostic. :mad: