So. Cal. TDI GTG at Capistrano VW - 1/5/2002

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
I will be there and will bring my VAG-COM software and laptop (if I remember...). Sound's like a great day planned!

First D

Veteran Member
Norman,

You don't want to take 395, I think it would be tough for you to get there, especially if the weather is bad. 99 or 5 are better choices. If the weather is bad (hopefully not) you may want to consider 101 as a last alternative (you don't have to go over the Grapevine).

Eric

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Norman ..... we can caravan together..... but you just need to switch that black box off

peter

-----------------------------------------------
2002 jetta GLS 5-speed ...... the body is stock.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Peter, when were you interested in heading down? Early, midday?...I was shooting for earlier than later because I didn't want to catch Friday evening traffic in LA, but as long as we get there, I guess it doesn't really matter to me.
I can disconnect that "black box" if you like; I drive like an old lady anyway, so I won't need it..

fatpump

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
If you REALLY want to get here during rush hour, a possible alternative is to go east (using 138?), across the 14 and then hit the 15 west freeway. If you go that way, you will be going opposite traffic (15 east goes to Vegas) then hit the 91 west which takes you right by my house. There's a toll road next to my house ($2.25+$1.00 to get to Irvine). Longer but much less traffic.
<hr></blockquote>

Ha, finally something I can sound like I know about! I drive from the 138 to South Orange County 2-5 times a week....

The 138 is a 2 lane without much passing room (occasional passing lanes, nobody pulls over, occasional snow, and there are signs along the road with cute slogans like "138, a lawyer's road to retirement" and "138, highway to heaven or Road to Hell?" because there are far too many ditzes who can't figure out that pulling in front of trucks is unhealthy). On a Friday afternoon in January it could easily be limited to 50-55MPH due to skiers heading to the mountains (the road peaks at about 4800 ft, and is the only path to some of the local ski areas), but chances are it will be clear. A worse problem in spots is trucks that misjudge the hills.... It also is about the least fun "mountain road" you'll encounter (at least, the stretch from the 14 to 15 is... past the 15 it is actually one of the better twisty roads in the area.)

But it can be a good route around LA.

If you get on the 14, you don't have a lot of options...it'll be 138 to the 15 or it'll be extra distance...but after that, it depends on where you are headed.

If you are going down to the SJC area directly, you've got many choices.... in order of TYPICAL speed:

1) 91 to the 241 (toll $2.25) to the 133 (toll $1.25) to the 5 south. This can totally jammed at random times because the toll roads aren't all that well designed, but it shaves a few miles off the route and the average traffic is much better than the interstates at that time of day.

2) 60 to the 57 to the 5. This is all freeway, and could be fairly jammed, but it is less likely to be jammed than any other freeway route at that time.

3) 91 to the 241 (toll $2.25) to Santiago Canyon road (a *slighly* twisted 55MPH scenic back route). Saves $1.25 and is much more interesting than #1, but adds about three miles of surface streets to get to the 5 freeway. If you take that route, hang a left at Live Oak Canyon (I think that's the name. There is a bar called Cook's Corner, locally famous) when you should go straight, you'll have a nice little twisty back country road (short but sweet) and be only a few minutes off track for getting on the freeway.

4) 91 to the 55 to the 5. This is probably the shortest non-toll route, but it has the most traffic and the least interest.

I don't know if the 2 is open all the way through, or I would put it as the slowest but best daylight alternate route. That would be 138 to the 2 to the 210 to wherever you want to go. In summer it is about two (or three+ if you follow the speed limits) hours of twisty mountain road. But it is probably closed to through traffic due to snow.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Count me in as a "maybe." My ship (Coast Guard) is the "ready cutter" for this area until around January 7th. I can't go more than three hours from the SFBA. But that's subject to change. Rumor has it that we've been already relieved of that duty. I won't know for sure until January 2nd, when we all return to regular workdays.

If I go, I will likely caravan with Norman and stay at his campsite. I, too, will have my VAGCOM with me, as well as VWTool for those who want to compare programs.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fatpump:
I'm most interested in timing/tuning for mpg. I'm getting in the low 40s with mostly highway driving... <hr></blockquote>

I'm not suffering too badly in the mileage department; but I am a little concerned about the tuning of my car. I'm well-practiced at setting the injection timing on my fuel pump. However, I have no idea what to look for when inspecting my timing belt for tension and proper alignment (pulleys?). I've never been sure that it was properly set when the belt was changed. Drivbiwire insists on checking this... I believe him. Perhaps this tech session could include this vital check, even using our VAGCOMs as the training aid.

Finally, I can bring some T-shirts, sweatshirts, and stickers if there's any interest. I'm stocked up pretty well. But, if you e-mail me and tell me your size, I can ensure I bring enough.

Here's a sample:

Take Care,

First D

Veteran Member
Friday "evening" traffic starts before 3pm down here. If you want to "miss" traffic, you have to arrive in Orange County by 2pm (which means you have to leave before 8am) or after 8pm.

If you arrive in between those times, you will likely encounter about 30-40 miles of heavy traffic. If you were carpooling, you could get to OC fairly quickly using a longer route, but I'm assuming you won't be able to do that.

If you REALLY want to get here during rush hour, a possible alternative is to go east (using 138?), across the 14 and then hit the 15 west freeway. If you go that way, you will be going opposite traffic (15 east goes to Vegas) then hit the 91 west which takes you right by my house. There's a toll road next to my house ($2.25+$1.00 to get to Irvine). Longer but much less traffic.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Going to try and get out of Reno about 7am and come down 395 to I15 and then west across Ortega hwy into SJC. How does this routing sound to you socal guys? Ortega may be slow, but better than cutting across main part of the basin and I5 etc.

Scott:
That would be great if you could come would be tempted to check my timimg as well. Also would like to get at least 1 t-shirt XL.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I'd like to go but never know my schedule ahead of time for the weekends.

I'll see you guys if I can make it.

BTW, how much of the day will the various activities take?

First D

Veteran Member
Jack - Most of the time I think we will be hanging around but we will have a "tech" session (5k oil change) at about 11am and probably a drive (Ortega Highway?) in late afternoon.

Bayern - There may be some interest for Upsolute...but should we do this at a dealership (warranty issues?). Can you e-mail me so we can discuss?

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, Alan, good to hear from you! Here's the skinny on the south bay caravan:

Peter and I are confirmed, and since we're not working Friday, departure is very flexible, based upon...

StealthTDI's status vis-a-vis his on-call status w/ the CG, and..

GassinGerhard?

I think it's safe to say an early departure is preferred to a late departure.

First D

Veteran Member
Any interest in having their cars Upsoluted?

I discussed this with Lanny by e-mail and he is in Chino Hills. If there is some interest, we could go by his place or he can meet us somewhere in the afternoon after the GTG.

Mmmmmm...mighty tempting for me...

P.S. Getting close to 50 mpg...When I went to Fresno yesterday to pick up my "new" Castellet wheels, I got 49.1 mpg. Kept speed between 70-75 mph, but there were some slower parts because of rain and traffic.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: First D ]</p>

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
I will be there but I am not so sure about my TDI. A FedEx van backed into me last friday and not my hood as a big dent in it. So if my NB is there, it will have a dented nose.

fatpump

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
Any interest in having their cars Upsoluted?

P.S. Getting close to 50 mpg...When I went to Fresno yesterday to pick up my "new" Castellet wheels, I got 49.1 mpg. Kept speed between 70-75 mph, but there were some slower parts because of rain and traffic.
<hr></blockquote>

I'll probably be interested in Upsolution when I see how much better upsoluted cars perform in real life...

I don't understand the mileage thing. I got 47 from my last full tank (well, 660 miles from 14 gallons almost exactly)...that is all but a record for me, but it was also with a strict 75MPH cruise-controlled (only three exceptions, less than 5 seconds each) cruise down to SD (traffic was much worse on the way back) on Christmas day. The rest of the driving was at fairly normal speeds.

nuke

Veteran Member
I'm in, unless something work-related interferes at the last minute.

I can't leave Silicon Valley until after work Friday night though. Probably 8pm at the earliest before I can get on the road.

Are you guys gonna caravan saturday AM or on friday?

I should be ready for a 5K oil change next weekend too, especially after the 400 mile drive to S.J.C.

If there are any XXL t-shirts, I'd take one.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Fatpump ... Eric ..... just bring your check book as when you try the upsoluted TDI, the temptation will be over and it will be no brainer

Norman, as you said, I am flexible on take off timing ... so, whatever works for all of you (SFBA) will be fine with me....

See you there ....

peter

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Do we have a semi-firm head/car count yet? Also, will our TDIs be parked on the VW lot for sort of a show/display? I like showing my TDI and would like to know how much cleaning I should do. What's the weather like down there? Sunny? Cold at night? I'll be camping with Norman if I come.

Thanks,

First D

Veteran Member
I believe we have 12 confirmed and about 6-8 maybes. We do have a gathering area at the dealership. We also will have food and a nice discount on parts and accessories has been proposed by Capistrano. I will be talking with the owner (Miles) tomorrow to confirm everything and then will report here. It's unbelievable, they are really rolling out the red carpet.

As far as weather, as of now no rain is projected for the weekend, so it should be about mid 60s during the day and high 40s at night. Remember you will be near the beach.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nuke:
Count me in as a maybe. Been itching for a long cruise since I got my TDI.

I don't know how close it is, but I frequently stay at the Courtyard in Irvine on Avenita De La Carlotta (whatever the name of that street is) when I'm down there on business.
<hr></blockquote>

Irvine is in the general area, maybe 10-15 miles noth of SJC. Absolutely freeway close and easy to get to from that hotel.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I just did an inventory of my TDI stuff. I'll be bringing:

12 XL T-shirts
4 XXL T-shirts
1 XXXL T-shirt
18 Fahrfrumpumpen stickers (black and white)
12 "Diesel Inside" stickers
12 "TDIClub.com" text-only stickers
24 "Yes! It's a DIESEL!" stickers
3 XXL Sweatshirts (sorry I wasn't better prepared here)

Contrary to my website's announcement that the white static Fahrfrumpumpen decals are discontinued, I will be bringing the last of them with me... there are NINE of them.

I have just one hurdle left to clear before getting clearance to come. If I can't make it, Norman has agreed to take care of everything for me. Please bring cash.

See you soon!

Scott

TDITGA

Just bought our 2002 TDI Beetle before Christmas and this sounds like a good way to learn more about it and meet some like-minded people! Count me in!

peter pyce

Veteran Member
California TDI-ers ... Happy New Year

Norman ... looks like only me & you will be leaving on Firday morning? Please send me an e-mail with your cellphone number and a place where to meet prior to take off ....

peter

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, first there was Soul Train, now there's Diesel Train...

For those in NorCal/CentralCal who want to wander down to SJC for this Sat's TDI miniFest, there will be two(2) "hookup" points where you can be assured that Peter and I will pass as we make our way down south. The first meeting spot is the Saratoga Avenue exit/on ramp to Hwy 85(southbound). I will be awaiting Peter's speeding Jetta at 7:15AM on Friday morning. Since it's an uphill ramp, I'll probably try and sit towards the bottom and wait, so people don't spaz out when they try to get on the freeway...
The second meeting point is right off of Hwy 101 right after 85 joins 101, but BEFORE 101 goes to three lanes at Cochrane Rd. There's kind of this weird exit that doesn't really go anywhere, but is a good meeting place because you can get onto 101 just as easily as you get off... I'll try and find the name of that exit later on, but I just wanted to post this for any others that wanted to caravan down to SJC on Friday.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick..

Addendum: the second meet point is Scheller Ave. I estimate Peter and I will arrive in the area somewhere around 7:30, or so.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Norman ]</p>

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd
Hi fellow CAL TDIers!!!
Have not been checking-in lately, but saw this post just in time. What a great idea to have a CA GTG. Great job guys!

I was beginning to wonder where the rest of us CA TDI owners were as I am sure we have a lot of interesting and similar stories about what we went through to get our TDI into CA.

Add another name/attendee to the list.

Is there a set schedule of activities for the day? I definitely want to see the Tech session, but I can't stay beyond the afternoon.

See everyone on Saturday.

Ray

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rmwong:
....Is there a set schedule of activities for the day? ...Ray<hr></blockquote>
Yes! Plans I know of:
10:00 gather & mill around (there will be a good discount for us at parts counter)
11:00 Tech session
Lunch - provided for us by Capistrano VW
afternoon-possible drive
Eric First D is the lead man & is putting this together for us. He is making the schedule, but these are the things I've seen.
The Autotech/Quaife people have been invited to show their stuff.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I'm IN!!!

I'm coordinating with Norman as far as meeting up goes. The second meeting spot might be easier since I don't know the area that well. I take it we're traveling on 101?

Is anyone using FRS radios, CBs, or any other form of car-to-car comms? Being a weekend, I don't mind using the cellphone. I have plenty of weekend minutes.

Anyway, See you soon!

Scott

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd
SteveS,
Thanks for the info (and to Eric for organizing the GTG!).

Really looking forward to chatting with other TDI drivers and also hearing about Capistrano's view on TDIs. From the many previous posts, Capistrano is "TDI friendly" and this may make the 1.5+ hr. drive to Capistrano worth it in the future, at least for the major service work like TB change.

See everyone Saturday.

Ray