So. Cal. TDI GTG at Capistrano VW - 1/5/2002

First D

Veteran Member
Due to the efforts of SteveS and Capistrano VW, the GTG has been confirmed for Saturday, January 5, tentatively to start at 10am. Details are still being worked out, but with the ideas being discussed, I can assure you Capistrano VW will take care of us! Please reply to this thread to a) confirm attendence (we need to have an idea how many will be there) and b) supply any ideas for the event. Time is short and we'll be working quickly!

Look forward to seeing you there!

fatpump

Veteran Member
I'll be there.

Other than being curious about everything, I suppose I'm most interested in timing/tuning for mpg. I'm getting in the low 40s with mostly highway driving... that may be my driving style (every time I try to slow down and get a better feel for the <75MPH MPG, "something comes up" and I have to drive faster for a while longer).

Of course, I'd like to know more about performance enhancement as well....

Boring, I know.

fatpump

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JohninSanDiego:
Will anyone have a VAG-COM?<hr></blockquote>

I will... and probably the dealer does though I don't know what they'll do with it.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Campers: here’s the scoop on Doheny State Beach Campground for overnight campers: All reservations are only made through Reserve America 1-800-444-7275. Beach front sites were available moments before I made this post, so if you want to stay there, call right now.
This is one of the most popular campgrounds in CA, so you have fair warning. There is also a campground down the coast at Camp Pendleton...not nearly as nice and about 15 miles farther.
A reminder: Doheny is about 1 mile from Capistrano VW and adjacent to Dana Pont Harbor.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
...the GTG has been confirmed for Saturday, January 5, tentatively to start at 10am. Details are still being worked out, but with the ideas being discussed, I can assure you Capistrano VW will take care of us! ....<hr></blockquote>
We've worked out a tentative schedule with Capistrano VW, including: TDI 5k tech session, possible display from Autotech/Quaife America, some freebies from Capistrano, a display of new & used TDI for sale (with good discounts), a large event tent - complete with tables and chairs - so that there will be a nice gathering place, food & drinks, and several special pricing discounts on parts, cars, and services...this is a substantial offer based upon my experience with 2 TDIs in the past 3 years, even future-TDI owners could benefit from this.
If you have more suggestions, let me know. We want a variety of good things for you to choose from.
email ideas to stevesexson@aol.com, and do sign-up here to attend.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
OK, I'm in. Steve, thanks for the ReserveAmerica tip; I found them online and made a reservation. Site #100. Not beachfront, but by the time I get there, I think I'm going to be more interested in sleep than hearing the surf. I'm looking forward to camping again, too. This is really going to be fun, so tell all your TDI friends!

Tick, tock, tick, tock....

peter pyce

Veteran Member
a) Write me in ....

b) can't think about anything crazy right now.

.... Steve, you rock!

c) Any nice hotel around there?

Thank you....

Peter

fatpump

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pyce:

c) Any nice hotel around there?
<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, there is at least one ***** hotel in the area.

It all is "nice part of town" in an artsy mission-cum-yuppitown sort of way. In the strech from San Juan Capistrano to Laguna Beach you've got just about every level/style of "nice" accomodation you could hope for.

Of course, I don't know the names of any of the places....

First D

Veteran Member
Peter,

I did some checking on hotels online...there are hotels very close by (within a couple of miles) in San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, San Clemente and Mission Viejo. But finding them online to check rates and make reservations seems to be tough. Laguna Beach is probably more expensive (Ritz Carlton minimum $300). You can do a lot of checking on hotels near the OC Airport, which is about 20 miles north of San Juan Capistrano. I went to http://orangecounty.airporthotelguide.com and I saw $59 and $69 rates for Courtyard Marriott, Doubletree, and Residence Inn.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Thanks Eric ..... I think just going there and finding a place to sleep will not be a problem. Going to worse, I can always sleep in my car

peter

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Hey, TDI-ers ..... this is going to be my second GTG in less than a month and my girl is getting jealouse .... So, I was thinking, can we actually organise a GTG for our girls while we are enjoying our cars? I am pretty sure they will find out what to do while we are "busy" .... specially if we give them money

peter

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Peter, there's a pretty cool mall just up the road off The 405 near Newport Beach...help me out Eric, what's the name of that place? I'm sure your girl would have no problem supporting our economy there, LOL

fatpump

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Norman:
Peter, there's a pretty cool mall just up the road off The 405 near Newport Beach...help me out Eric, what's the name of that place? I'm sure your girl would have no problem supporting our economy there, LOL
<hr></blockquote>

Let's see, there is Fashion Island and South Co[a]st Plaza, both of which are fairly major and adjacent to the 405... there is plenty of shopping in Laguna and around Dana Point, which is closer to Capistrano. These are resort areas, and there is usually a lot to do. If someone has a desire, they can even go visit Mission San Juan Capistrano...

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fatpump:
....they can even go visit Mission San Juan Capistrano...
<hr></blockquote>
Yes, that mission is one of the most interesting in the system, and the streets between it and the Amway station are colorful and full of boutique shops. You may have a hard time retrieving your friend after the GTG.
BTW the Marriott at Dana Point is on the cliff above Dana Point and within a mile or so from the GTG.

First D

Veteran Member
If you want to know about malls, there is South Coast Plaza north of the OC Airport off the 405, there's Fashion Island on Pacific Coast Highway off of Jamboree south of the airport. There are also large malls in Laguna Hills (off of El Toro) and Mission Viejo off of Oso Parkway (I think) which is the closest to Capistrano VW.

If you are paying for her shopping, you may want to avoid Fashion Island. South Coast is big and has expensive as well as regular stores.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
guys.... the idea was all our girls to come and have their own kind of GTG, to do whatever they want .... If I am the only one who's bringin her, then I better come alone, as she will be bored alone and will keep calling me about this and that and it will end up being me with her instead me with all of you
....... anyway, I think was all bad idea, so let the woman at home is way better I guess

peter

First D

Veteran Member
GG,

See the thread a few posts up about lodging. In terms of highways (similar to your area), Ortega Highway (74) is one of the best, but we'll need a radar detector as it has speed traps.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Gary, that would be great if you could make it, because if I remember right, you should have enough go-fast parts on your ride to make it worth the while of other attendees to see what the potential of a TDI 90 can be. 'Hope to see you there!

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Counting "Offical Thread for SoCal GTG" as of now, there are 9 confirmed and 5 more "maybes." Capistrano VW is rolling out the red carpet for us, so we need to give them an accurate count. . .so, please post here as soon as you know you will be attending, and I'll be the relay to our hosts.
To quote Norman: "Tick, tock, tick, tock...."

nuke

Veteran Member
Count me in as a maybe. Been itching for a long cruise since I got my TDI.

I don't know how close it is, but I frequently stay at the Courtyard in Irvine on Avenita De La Carlotta (whatever the name of that street is) when I'm down there on business.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Got everything ok'd with the Boss this morning, so I'm in too. Going to try and leave Reno-Sparks area fri 700 am. I am planning on coming thru San Jose area late morning and hooking up with anyone that wants to caravan. Let me know here or email and we'll plan a meeting point.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Kevin, I was going to take off early for SJC (no, not San Jose), but if you're really going to come down the I-80 or I-5 corridor then maybe I can work a half day and meet up w/ you someplace. As I was looking at a map, it would appear that your best choices are 395, 99 and I-5. Anyway, let me know what your plans are, and anyone else from north/central Cal that wants to caravan down, too.