So-Cal?? Calling all So-Cal TDI-er's

ProfessorCompressor

So-Cal?? Calling all So-Cal TDI-er\'s

To quote the late Tupac "Passadena Where You At?"

I'm just wondering why there isn't a larger number of So-Cal TDI people on here...

I guess everyone is a Boy-Racer GTI Gasser kind in So-Cal...

Anyone out there?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

First D

Veteran Member
Re: So-Cal?? Calling all So-Cal TDI-er\'s

Hey, I was wondering where the So. Cal. guys were. I ended up going to a Nor. Cal. GTG last week as an excuse to break in the car and to check out the highway mileage. They're a great bunch up there. Let me know when something happens...

ProfessorCompressor

OK... 2... that's a start...

A side note here...

I found out that there is a b100 Pump in Marina Del Ray (for marine diesel's) but I can't find the exsact info now!!
Too much fun at my BDay party last weekend...

I'll keep you posted if/when I find out more.
(I don't even have a TDI yet and I'm already sucked in!!
)

stev1760

I just bought a 1996 VW Passat TDI with 117000 miles on it, I am from San Diego and traveled by bus to Grand Junction CO to pick it up. I got it for 6,000 and I am very happy with it. I crused back at 80 miles an hour in 5th gear and did not have to downshift on any mountain pass. I got 45 miles per gallon.

The dealer there changed the oil and put in Rotello T. I just ordered some Amoil 3000 5w30 and I am looking for some filters now. Ill do a flush and then change the oil. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best filter to get for this???

I am also interested in meeting any So CA TDI owners, I really think we have something very special here, I am excited

Steve

fatpump

Veteran Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProfessorCompressor:
An army of 3!!! Keep it commin... I know there are more people in So-Cal with TDI's and internet connections!!
<hr></blockquote>

There are more of "us". I've had my 2k2 Jetta for 2 months and 2 days. Long enough to put 10+ thousand miles on.

I even have vag-com, though I don't know how to use it to do anything but make the door locks do funny things (unlock when you pull the key out of the lock) and turn on/off the annoying horn blatting of the "alarm".

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax

Hi, Ken from Valencia Ca, 2001 NB auto.
I would be interested in getting together. I would like to check timing. Does any one already own the software? I would be willing to buy it also need the bently shop manuel. Ken

fatpump

Veteran Member

For Ken in Valencia: I have the [vag-com] software/cable, and the Bently for up to 2k2 model years, so I guess I could help you check your timing. I tried on mine, but the numbers didn't line up with what I expected (the fuel temperature seemed totally wrong to me) so I was planning to retry with a cold engine. I never get around to it, though. I'm mostly in OC/Riverside/San Bernardino though at least once a month I go up to Marina Del Rey. It ain't the sort of thing I normally do, but if you want to email me fred@fatpump.com I might be willing to meet up somewhere/someday and let you play with it on your car. At least you can fiddle with how your doorlocks work.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProfessorCompressor:
Slowly but surely we are coming together.

I don't even own a TDI yet (getting one around Junish if all goes acording to plan)...

But keep'em commin... It is always nice to have a group of locals to GTG or bounce problems/ideas off of.
<hr></blockquote>

I'm actually a little surprised at how few SoCal members are around. I know there are more TDIs in the San Deigo area than VW expected, as a dealer down there imported many from Canada (supposedly 100, according to someone at another dealer that sounded fairly miffed about the whole thing) and sold them as "low mileage used."

I've only seen one other A4 TDI on the road, though. Red with dealer plates. Oh well.

It would be sort of fun to see what others are doing with their TDIs, and pool knowledge directly. There is no substitute for sitting in a car with the motor running. But I have a feeling that we'll never be as large a group as you'll find in other states. Well, except NY...I imagine we out number them.

Local knowledge can't be beat. And in that spirit... where do SoCal types go to get fuel? I know of two decently priced stations in OC, one north in fullerton (76 on harbor) and one south in (amazingly) Rancho Santa Margarita (ARCO on ave empressa). Last I checked, both were less than 1.20/ga. I also know of a station that is still trying to charge $1.70/ga...

First D

Veteran Member

So far I have bought only Chevron and 76 diesel. I asked my neighbor where he buys gas (for his Dodge Cummins) and he said 76 because he never had any problems with it. It's not a problem to find diesel, it's hard to find cheap diesel. So far my favorite is a 76 station on Tustin and La Palma which charges 1.29.9. It seems to be cheaper in the industrial/commercial areas. Residential areas charge 20-40 cents more. There is a commercial station on Lakeview north of La Palma that uses card locks, I haven't figured out how to contact them yet...

I drove to the Bay Area two weeks ago and saw diesel for about 1.10 at the truck stops...

ProfessorCompressor

Slowly but surely we are coming together.

I don't even own a TDI yet (getting one around Junish if all goes acording to plan)...

But keep'em commin... It is always nice to have a group of locals to GTG or bounce problems/ideas off of.

fatpump

Veteran Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
So far my favorite is a 76 station on Tustin and La Palma which charges 1.299. <hr></blockquote>

I don't know where in Anaheim you normally roam, but if you can drive a few extra miles there is a 76 in Fullerton on Harbor (heading north it is on the left hand side, a mile or two north of Commonwealth but I don't know the exact intersection) that was $1.189 last Saturday. I imagine it is cheaper now, since gas prices are about $0.919 at some stations.

Compare this to the Chevron on Lincoln (just east of the 5) that charges $1.709!!!

First D

Veteran Member

I'm there once in a while, but the one on Tustin is most convenient right now. However, occasionally I go to Anita's for their "Stuffy" so I'll have to check it out when I go there!

fatpump

Veteran Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
I'm there once in a while, but the one on Tustin is most convenient right now. However, occasionally I go to Anita's for their "Stuffy" so I'll have to check it out when I go there!
<hr></blockquote>

Now I'm hungry. Anitas is one of the better little mexican restaurants in the area. Worth the occasional visit.

The cheap 76 is at a guess 1-2 miles north of there.

I was just looking at your car description tag-line. If I'm right, I almost bought that car. Did you drive up to Cardinal VW in Salinas to get it? When I decided on the TDI, I called every dealership within about 500 miles. The fleet manager at Cardinal said he was scheduled to receive a Blue/Black leather/luxury/monsoon wagon in a week or two. Sounded like they knew TDIs fairly well, and I guess the fleet manager has been doing things like special ordering loaded TDIs from VW using a family member's ID, then selling the car. Perhaps fortunately for you, I didn't want a wagon.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI

A bunch of us are here, (I'm the nut who went to Houston to get my first tdi:: http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/CaliforniaTDI/ )
I think we don't post so much because no one ever has to stay inside because of bad weather, so SoCal tdi owners are out driving.
The owner of Capistrano VW is very tdi friendly, and he wants to host a tdi Fest. . . while we are waiting for our turn at a Fest, I'm sure he would consider hosting a GTG, if we show enough interest.
I'll be glad to help make the arrangements if we want to gather there some Saturday. Let me know if I can help.
SteveSexson@aol.com

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: SteveS ]</p>

JohninSanDiego

Checking in from San Diego. I've seen a few TDI's down here - mostly Jetta's. I have a 96 Passat wagon, although I have it up for sale so that we can buy a car from my in-laws. I'll keep it if I can't get a decent price - and then would love to join a GTG, especially if someone's bringing a VAG-COM. I've got the Bentley manuals (books, not CD's) if anyone needs info from them.

First D

Veteran Member

Fatpump - No, I got my car from Downtown LA motors. I was very fortunate. The car was listed on the internet inventory, they still had it, the price was good, I bought it. I was lucky. I bought the car on 11/15 and posted to the board about my experience.

SteveS. - That GTG at Capistrano sounds like a great idea. To have a dealer host it would be wonderful. Maybe something can be scheduled in January after the holidays? If they're willing to discount some accessories I'd buy some (cargo mat, splash guards). I'd be willing to help. Throw out a couple of dates and let's see who can make it.

Norman - what are you doing here? You think some of the Nor. Cal. guys would be willing to visit us down here?

fatpump

Veteran Member

Fatpump - No, I got my car from Downtown LA motors. I was very fortunate. The car was listed on the internet inventory, they still had it, the price was good, I bought it. I was lucky. I bought the car on 11/15 and posted to the board about my experience.
<hr></blockquote>

Well, that's good for a couple of reasons. On second glance I realized that unless the dealer in NoCal was wrong about the wagon they were going to receive, the description only matched to the exterior color and body style.

I picked up my non-wagon on 10/15 and haven't told nobody nothin' about the experience.
I'm still limping. :| Of course, I'd be complaining if I'd paid $2000 less than invoice, so I guess it is pretty safe to ignore my complaints about what I did pay.
I had a short list of colors, and I wanted a fully loaded car. I wanted white, indigo/galactic blue, or black... got black/black with everything but monsoon. Looks great. I spend a lot of time in the desert, and it will be miserable come July...but it looks great.
Will look better when I pull the "Jetta" badge and find a tint shop (and reconcile myself to an increased window regulator failure rate).

Everybody: Capistrano VW sounds OK if they are game, especially if they could be conned into doing good things for us as far as discounts or whatever ... but I wonder how many people they could actually host. They've got a fairly small lot and they are on a fairly small street. Oh well, not my problem. Perhaps not anyone's problem, considering that that is all speculation at this point....

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL

Eric, I would love to have any excuse to drive The I-5(or the The 101) to visit y'all in The Southland...

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white

Yeah, keep us Nor-Cal'ers in the loop, I love excuses to use the CA Autoban ;-).

-Carl

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Looking forward to smoking (sooting) on I-5 or 101 behind the older smokers like Norman & Carl

peter

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver

Don't know if I can make it, but would be fun to see a bunch of smokers hauling you know what down that speedway to socal. Either that or an eco run for mileage.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

Hey, Steve, that sounds kinda fun; if Capistrano is TDI friendly, and won't void our warranties for mods, perhaps they'd be game for a tech GTG? At least the facilities should be appropriate.

First D

Veteran Member

Well, it would be embarrassing if we have a So. Cal. GTG and there are more guys from Nor. Cal. there than So. Cal!

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI

Owner of Capistrano VW (Miles Brandon) has told me (in writing) he wants to host a FEST. He knows that is totally Derf's call, but Miles is willing to help us get this going. I will contact him today and ask about some possible dates for a Saturday GTG/tech session. They have 2 super good tdi mechanics.
As to warranty/mods...I had Capsitrano do all my mods, including installing larger injectors...just don't be fools about your stuff.
Miles is proud of his staff. One of his service writers was formerly GM for ABD and owner of the outrageous Golf TDI on the cover of Fall, 2000 VW Power magazine. Capistrano is an excellent destination, even if they did not have such an outstanding dealership....BTW-this dealership has never price gouged NBs or TDIs -- even when other CA dealers were jacking up the price several thousands -- Miles was selling at or below MSRP.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI

Capistrano is a go...and will be a great host. Best date for them is 1-05-02, with the following week as an alternate. They are starting a new building, groundbreaking is between those 2 Saturdays. Miles Brandon (owner) is a class act, and will have a worthwhile presentation. He would like an idea of how many will attend.
Here is part of his reply:
...We'll have probably 3 guys get involved: Greg Adams (our Fixed Operations Director ...hands-on service manager and is also overseeing the activities of our parts and rental managers),
Martin Lotman (service consultant - and
former tricked out TDI Golf owner), and one of our top diesel technicians.
A couple of other possible participants from our store: Doc Kirby - rental manager - is leasing a brand new 2002 TDI NB AT today
and Eric Reed - parts dept - owns a TDI Jetta

Miles will make this a valuable experience for us.
Post here if you might attend. I'll be the contact person for Miles and I'll post the plans in this thread.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

I am in ..... I wish we had dealers like this in the bay area

peter

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

Peter, you've got company!

Steve, you are The Man; I'm going to do everything I can to make this GTG. Capistrano sounds like a real class act!

First D

Veteran Member

Good job Steve, that was FAST! I can make it on 1/5 or 1/12. I was thinking 1/12 would be better to give people time to recover from New Years. But I have no strong preference. What time?

You guys up North you can stay at my house if you want...you'd have to bring your own sleeping bags, though.

P.S. Steve, I will probably need my 5,000 mile oil change at that time...maybe they can put my car on the rack to do an oil change and we can look at other stuff underneath the car?

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: First D ]

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: First D ]</p>

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI

Ok, let's say the 5th....that was Miles' first choice...considering their building program. By then, you will have had time to recover, and this will be a positive boost for our new year. Plan to be there there 1-05-02.
BTW- Doheny State Beach & Dana Point Harbor are about 1 mile from Capistrano VW. That is one of the nicest campgrounds anyplace, with overnight spots. Of course, there is a 5 star Marriott hotel right above the beach as well.
Start posting what we want to do, and then let's make this happen.
I live about 170 miles away from Capistrano, so I can't be much a help to lodge the Northern Cal contingency, besides, the Marines in my backyard are fast and furious with the bombs these days, so you'd get no rest here. -- Maybe you guys can caravan and soot up the San Joaquin Valley on the way
. I'm old enough to remember smudge pots...

First D

Veteran Member

Steve, what time? When we decide, we can put out another post with confirmed time so we can get a clean list of how many will attend.

Great job!
Eric