Silicon Valley/Nor Cal?

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Thanks to all for the good GTG this weekend. May have to reconsider my thinking after driving Norman's car. Can only imagine what it would be like to have that power with the great Shine suspension. Good to meet the new guys. Guess DTY and I will have to get our collective acts together and have you all over here for a GTG and cruise in the desert. Maybe early spring after the weather gets better. Thx again.

First D

Veteran Member
It was great to meet all of you. It was well worth the drive. That sprint through the hills killed my gas mileage...I got "only" 42.9 mpg before I drove home. Hopefully, I'll have a couple of suspension and wheel mods next time I see you so I can keep up better.

And Norman, that concoction worked well!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Eric, what did your southbound mileage end up being? Was it not better than your northbound mileage? 'Glad to hear you made it home OK. Since there were a few folks interested in chipping and such, perhaps we should see if the SoCal Upsolute guy is going to have a chipping session anytime soon (with the gasser crowd), and piggyback on their GTG.

First D

Veteran Member
Norman!

You should know better than to ask me a question like that. I haven't finished the tank yet!!! So I don't know!!!

Eric

P.S. I should mention that the first two tanks of FUEL I got 40 mpg (dealer filled that) and 46 mpg (I filled that). That's for about 2/3 freeway and 1/3 city driving.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: First D ]</p>

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Peter, that's too funny, man! You're right though, that would be a very studly ride. If Eric showed up at the GTG w/ it, he might be driving home in a white Golf GLS...

Peter, I sent the SoCal Up rep and asked him about a chipping GTG. When I hear back from him, I'll pass along the info. In the meantime, Carl and I will give you rides to keep you on the Dark Side.

I also emailed another TDIer who couldn't make the GTG, and for our next one we might make it a tech session sort of GTG where folks could get some work done on their cars. Perhaps some time in the Feb or Mar time frame might work out nicely. Anyone have any particular preferences?

Eric, I still say your mileage on the way home was probably WAAAY better than your mileage coming up; last year when I went to VW Driver School, I spent a whole day driving like a maniac, idling, and otherwise trying to kill my mileage, and I still ended up getting 38.2 mpg(!)
And with the setup you drove on Sat, I was beating the Jetta 1.8T that I was paired w/ for the auto-x session. The TDI engine is pretty remarkable in that respect.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Norman.... Thanks for the info and for the stuff you are doing for me! Really appreciate.... I also wrote a letter to the "dark side of the moon" company, to let me know what would be the most convinient and fast way to get this done. Let's see which way will happen faster. Anyway, I am really interested in starting doing some mods as I was impressed by how your cars during the ride were going infront of me
So, whatever you have in mind - I am interested to listen

Cheers to everybody and as they say here: Happy TDI-ing .....

peter

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Norman...... It would be great to have somebody from upsolute coming (or me going) to "fix" my car
Please let me know when and how this would be possible as I want to go into this even tomorrow. I drove Carl's car for only few blocks , but that was enough for me to make my mind for going to the "dark side" od upsolute!

First D..... (sorry guys, but I am really bad with remembering names, so I will use your nicks till I fugure out who's who) .... Talking about mileage. I also have a 1.8T NB (automatic), which I was able to squeeze 30 mpg from it only once. If I had to follow you guys on that ride with the bug, I would have done note more than 22 mpg. So, 42,9 on your side is something excellent! I know, when we get lower that 45, we feel like something is going wrong, but then I think about my Beetle and I feel better again

First D

Veteran Member
I finally finished my tank of gas today. I got 44.1 miles per gallon on this tank. Hoping things will improve as the car breaks in.

Norman, when you gave the the concoction, did you give me 2 oz. of silver and 2 oz. of white? Or was it 4 of each? I went to the local Wal-Mart and they had only the white bottle. What was the difference between the two? Couldn't remember.

Eric

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I guess 44.1 is better than 42.9

The concoction that I mixed for you was ~ 3 fl. oz. each of the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) and Diesel Kleen (silver bottle). They both claim to clean fuel injectors and lubricate. The Supplement will disperse water, and keep fuel from gelling. The Kleen will "increase power, reduce emissions, and improve mileage." Based upon what I've read and heard, the Kleen is probably the better choice for us since it doesn't get all that cold over here. I'll continue to use them both, though, as they each have their merits.

Peter, I heard back from Lanny, the SoCal Upsolute rep; he says that he'll travel to a GTG if at least 10 people can commit to being chipped, which sounds about right. This probably means that we should combine chipping with the gasser crowd over on VWVortex, or start putting the word out now and see how many closet TDIers we have in the woodwork here in NorCal and CentralCal. I think it would be nice if we could have a GTG at someplace like New Dimensions because it would be the right venue for a tech session, chipping, shopping for goodies and maybe installing them the same day, etc. Maybe I'll run it by Tim and see if it might fly as a possibility some Sat. AM/PM. Don't forget guys, New Dimensions is the US distributor for the Original Tuning Box. Vroom, vroom!

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Norman .... Thanks for the info. I spoke to Lanny yesterday and he told me if I can't wait for GTG, then I can go to Santa Rosa, there's Will, a guy who is Lanny's rep for out area. The problem is I can't get Will on the e-mail as the letters come back saying no such address
.... anyway, I will talk to Lanny tomorrow again and see what happen. I may even drive down to LA if can't be done in different way. You suggest we see what other TDI guys want to do, but I guess there is small number of TDI in the area and maybe even smaller number will want "that thing" in their engines.....I can also sent them my stuff via mail, but I need the car every day and can't afford to leave it in the garage for even a day

Anyway, thanks for the time spending on my issue, I appreciate..... if you ask me, I would want to GTG every saturday as I have many things to learn from you guys, but I guess that will be too much for all of you ..... anyway, all of you, any time you feel like fixing stuff on your cars, please let me know, I would not mind being around to pick up some knowledge.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
That sounds like a good idea Norman, Maybe march when the weather is a little better would like to pull my intake and take a look at the snow screen and probably find a couple other things to look at while there. Possibly rear brakes. April or may might be good time for R-S GTG know some great back roads in the desert for high speed touring.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Guys, I just got the upsolute in my car! Woo-hoo! Want to say many things but have to rush ... Just wanted to give the info for those who need it. We do not need to wait for the next GTG or send our ECUs anywhere anymore ... To make it short, there's a rep. for upsolute in Santa Clara, here in the Valley, and his e-mail is: will@emotiongarage.com So, e-mail him in case you are interested and he will do it in 30 min! Piece of art! ....... In case you need more info before doing it, e-mail me or put a posting on this forum and will let you know about the whole story ...... All I can say is: This car is Upsolutly Different now
Can't write anymore - going to drive it now!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Peter! Look at you, you WILD MAN, you!!! Right on! Congratulations. I'm glad you found the Up rep, and right in our backyard, too. Sweet!
Hey, did he give you an Upsolute sticker, too? If not, and you want one, let me know, I have an extra one that you can have, just let me know.
BTW, did you get the regular or the low smoke?
Drive on!

nuke

Veteran Member
In related news, I have a Vag-Com on order.

Since I'm a Mac guy
, I'm on the lookout for a cheap PC laptop. I'll try it out with VPC and a usb-serial thing first and see if that works

With New Dimensions and an Upsolute dealer in the area, I'm in deep, deep doo-doo! It's going to be tough getting through my first 12K miles without tweeking everything.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Guys... it's 2.45 am and I just got back from a long drive with the "thing" inside my car .....Did not want to stop even for diner
Well, what can I say? Some old members will just laugh at me as I am just discovering what they have discovered long time ago .... but the difference is so damn big, that I feel I have discovered the hot water again! I would simply say, whoever is thinking about puthing that small little "thing" in his TDI, well, just GO AND PUT IT NOW!!! ......

Norman, I guess you will not pull away from me that quick anymore .... but I know you have that small "black" box too...which actually makes me wonder what the hell would be to have that plus what I lareday have
........ Anyway, I got the sticker too, but will put it after my first oil change next week.... I guess the dealer will not like seeing it there

Nuke ..... if you are still wondering, come and drive my car for more than a blok or two, take it to the high way, go on hwy 17 all the way to Santa Cruz in 5-th gear and I am sure you will be puting that "thing" tomorrow....... Let me know when, if you want! It's simply FANTASTIC! .... and BTW I have a PC laptop if you want to take it and try the VAG-com even now, before you buy your own....let me know

.... And looking forward for the next GTG

peter pyce

Veteran Member
...Norman .... I got so excited, so forgot to answer the question .....I go the "low smoke" as the guy said there's only low smoke available for 2k2...... I do not know how much different is than the other one, but this is way more than what I expected
....... and I drove with a friend of mine behind tellng me there was very little smoke only when I did WOT ...... but the turbo now spools like hell and that sound is simply great music for my ears ......we have to start talking now about suspension, right?

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Right-on bro. Welcome to the club. Let me know and come over the hill to Reno. We can go out in the desert and show you the reality of speed and SHINE, or ask Norm he can tell you. I have a sneeking suspicion he will be able to show you in the near future...

Alternative might be to just add a rr bar and Bilsteins, at most Neuspeed SofSports.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
You..guys..are..going..to..push..me..over..the..edge...

I just got back from spending the day at Laguna Seca Raceway at a SpeedTrialUSA event; I got to ride around the track with my nephew in his 240SX. Between his dialed-in suspension, and Kevin's ride last weekend, I'm really trying hard to figure out how I can pony up the $$ to spring for one of those Shine Real Streets... I did get to lap Laguna Seca's 2.2 mile track in the Golf several times when they had parade laps at lunchtime, but it was all I could do to keep the car on the track coming out of the Corkscrew.

If VW ever brings back their Driver School thing, we're all signing up, OK?!

First D

Veteran Member
Don't know...I'm not sure I want to take my wagon on the track...

I have an '84 BMW 733i with an M6 engine for that. I can guarantee this car is faster than an Upsoluted TDI. Very fun at Sears Point. Well, only 15-20 mpgs though. Does Speed Trial USA allow driver's to take passengers? I find the schools that do that are very lax and tend to be more dangerous...

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
I didn't make it to the GTG last weekend but happened to bump into Peter yesterday. Guess where? I was coming back to emotion garage on Dela Cruz in Santa Clara to pay Will for the great chipping job he did, and there was a lineup of folks getting chipped. I was also charged much lower than I thought I would be (total about $325), which was an extra bonus. The postings on this site were right on about the extra kick you feel in the right foot. Before chipping I would have to downshift into third to get up the Hayward hills going about 40 MPH, but I can even make it in 4th or 5th without a sweat. And passing people on the freeway going 60 mph accelerating up to 80 mph is a total cinch. And like Peter, I drove through the Santa Cruz mountains last night and this morning, wondering if I should get new suspension sooner or later, to match the new HP under the hood.

And yup, Will let us have as many stickers as we wanted! A very down-to-earth guy. He desoldered and flashed the ECU right there in front of me, describing the process. Apparently we have AMD flash ROM chips inside these babies. He did warn that if you drive up mountains (i.e. long stretches of incline), be warned that the turbo charger can overheat and you would have no way of knowing it because the engine light doesn't gauge this. He'll be getting a ton of other aftermarket stuff, including cold air intakes for the turbo diesel charger, exhaust mods, suspension, etc etc.

Did you guys get a chance to talk about biodiesel? Hope I can make it to the next one! Thanks for filling me in on the details, Peter.

Tri D. Do
sycamore@grin.net

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Eric .... Do yourself a BIG favor - go and get it tomorrow! It's just like having a new car now! Can't stop driving it around.... put 300 miles in two days just going around the valley. Suddenly my Jetta feels like 1000 lb lighter. X-mass is coming and you can't get any better present that the "Absolute" Vodka ..... oops, the Upsolute vodka in your engine

The only problem is that you feel more and more the need of better suspension, and maybe brakes, and maybe ..... well, let's walk the walk slowly

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
Oh I forgot Peter you wanted to know where I got my windows tinted. I paid $180 for wrap-around tinting (5 windows) at KS Tinting, 488 Lewelling Boulevard in Hayward/San Lorenzo. The number to call is 510-481-7081. It took about 2 hours but they did a real quality job. I've had my car in the sun without any problems with "bubbling." I had also looked around the East Bay from Fremont to Oakland and didn't find any better deals.

Good luck!

tdd

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Syck, thanks for the info, I will be there soon
.... It was nice meeting you at the "magic" place. Hope you will make it to the next GTG, and actually I hope we can have one sooner as there are more and more things to talk about with the more experinced part of the TDI-ers around. Enjoy your new drive and spread the voice of what 325 $ invested in a small little chip could do

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by First D:
Don't know...I'm not sure I want to take my wagon on the track...

...only 15-20 mpgs though. Does Speed Trial USA allow driver's to take passengers? I find the schools that do that are very lax and tend to be more dangerous...
<hr></blockquote>

Aww, c'mon Eric, if Volvo can race their wagons, you'll do fine with your's.

SpeedTrialUSA seems to run a reasonably organized event; the one today was invitation-only, so I don't know if they're usually a chaotic free-for-all. The track officials were LSR folks, and they seemed to be very well prepared. Every corner had a marshall and there were driver briefings before the track sessions. The passing rules were pretty specific, and I heard one guy get flagged for a questionable pass. BTW, helmets were required for all participants during the track sessions, but, not the parade laps. You're only supposed to be going no more than 40mph on the parade laps, but, I was behind this Ferrari, see, and I was just following him around the course...
(which led to the push coming out of the Corkscrew I mentioned earlier). I thought the track conditions were very safe for all parties in attendance, and I'd pay good money to go. There was only one VW running on the track, a 1.8T Golf(GTI?); to his credit, though, he was quite fast.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
SF Bay area TDI-ers ..... I found a place where to by Delvac 1 5W-40 for my oil change this week. The problem is they are selling it in packs of 4 gallons and that's too much for me. Anybody willing to share the cost and take home 2 gallons for his oil change and spare oil? The price is 20$ per gallon, from Mobil's ditributor in San Jose. Let me know ASAP please..........

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Larry, you have it
....anybody else interested? I can get another pack of 4 gallons and two more people can share between them ... let me know....

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Kwhiner .... sorry I missed your posting up there. Yes, I will be going to Tahoe area around the holidays, so if you are around there during that time, it would be great to meet again, to go for a drink or two and spend some time going around your "teritory". How does this sound to you?