should i buy it? high mileage, low power

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
looked at a members car (MK4) today, nice shape, good price. it has a 1562 QA code, ok fine i'd do a new IP. but it also has 190,000mi and low power. could the low power just be the IP/QA, or is it likely that the compression is low at 190k?
thanks
nick

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The compression is most likely fine at 200k miles. It generally is on most of the Mark IVs.
Probably clogged intake, poor vacuum system (leaks), and the IP are the explanation.

That being said, there is no guarantee...

Cars that are running poorly or not at all sell for very low prices, because they are gambles.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
That being said, there is no guarantee...
tell me about it! i just don't want to get into a money pit!
it did drive fine, but i noticed that on the highway it didn't pull past 70, it would go faster on the level but the acceleration was slowwww! and going up one hill at low speed there was no torque.
i don't think the owner notices the low power, but i drive hard so...
she did also say that it runs a touch rough on cold start up, but after a minute or two it's fine.
she also said that the intake was cleaned, and the EGR replaced, also at least one vac line causing a limp-mode issue was changed.
if any of that helps
thanks!

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Check my signature for links - one for low power, the other for limp mode.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02-
Agree with DanG- there is some element of "gamble" when adopting a low power car. Sometimes the fix is quick & cheap, other times not.
But back to part of the original q- if the car has been treated reasonably and maintained reasonably, an odometer of 190K is not a reason to avoid the car. I know some of the MkIVs had undesirable auto trans, but I don't know exactly what the full year range was. Good luck!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
190K mi is high mileage? since when?

If you can do a compression check, the cam lobes look fine, tranny is OK and there are no nasty sounds coming from the lower end, then buy it at a bargain price! I'd definitely be looking for a clogged intake.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So my 400,000 mile Golf must have 'double plus high mileage' eh? :p

I agree, probably something very simple.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Could be need for IP rebuild, or just need a fuel filter/put the case relief valve back together/clean and mod the fuel pickup.

Could also be a MAF, clogged intake, stuck turbo vanes, bad turbo actuator, or vacuum leak.

You pays your money and you takes your chances........But it's a whole lot easier to risk your money if you're capable of doing your own work.

Last edited:

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Well 190k is high on the body/suspension. Lol.
i just worry about the rings (primarily) as thats not a job id have time for. The cam, rag in the intake (been there too), and the like i can do.

Last edited: