Scary situation

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL Reflex Silver 2001
I think it's great that some you guys can do what I would consider complex work on your engines. I have struggled with Dyslexia my entire life, but with a fair amount of common sense and a few tricks I've made it this far. It takes me a while, but I can do simple maintenance. Attacking even a partial engine rebuild is inconceivable to me. I rely on mechanics to have a sense of ethics and hopefully are having a good day when they're working on my car.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I think it's great that some you guys can do what I would consider complex work on your engines. I have struggled with Dyslexia my entire life, but with a fair amount of common sense and a few tricks I've made it this far. It takes me a while, but I can do simple maintenance. Attacking even a partial engine rebuild is inconceivable to me. I rely on mechanics to have a sense of ethics and hopefully are having a good when they're working on my car.

I wish we lived closer, I would definitely help you out, I enjoy helping others out , and teaching them if they want to learn...lol I usually work for coffee and a sandwich ?.

I have a friend who has Dyslexia, no one knew it till he got to college, till then he was a D-C student. People thought that he wasn’t smart.......they were soooo wrong..
A teacher recognized that he was struggling and recognized the signs and got him help......4 years later he graduated near the top of his class and is doing great.
He also found tricks to help him out.

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been reading a few posts about timing belts. Typically, tensioners go bad with high mileage. Are there any documented incidents where the tensioner was faulty out of the box? Most likely, as was mentioned before, it was incorrectly installed.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
My point of interest is, here we go again, with another comparatively low mileage TDI biting the dust from what might be a sloppy timing belt job. There is no absolute. People make mistakes. It's sometimes hard to tell, but all those before me have a lot of valid points. It seems like somebody screwed up.
Even to the point, as we have pointed out for years, the book is totally wrong to tighten up the cam sprocket bolt to 33 ft lbs. It's a 14mm bolt! That is a common 'newbie' error we have been shouting about for years...

My cautionary tale: The timing belt is a very critical component. Several things can cause catastrophic failure. But the remedy is probably not so simple, as I would be less than likely to trade out a comparatively low mileage engine for the engine with likely, high mileage that came from some junkyard that would make up whatever mileage they like, to sell an engine. I've played that game for too many years... But the TDI-CSI business- the engine will tell the tale, if you know what you are looking for.

Continue... the likelihood that you have a bent rod is due to the speed at which you were driving. To launch the belt at 65+mph is a virtual guarantee to bend a rod. That in itself is no reason to throw in the towel, as we have been balancing reciprocating rod sets for years. The task is to remove the offending rod along with it's reciprocating counterpart. It requires removal of the oil pan and pushing out the bent rod and the reciprocating rod, which are in sets; 1 & 2, 3 & 4. If the #2 rod bends, we remove the #1 rod to match a replacement rod for weight and length.

We charge $125 to replace a single rod and $75 more if the piston is damaged. Ring sets are $22.50. The cylinder bores need to be deglazed. So, the parts are less than $150 and the labor should be less than 4 additional hours to recover from a bent rod (less than that in my shop...). That is a better choice to use a known 140k engine, apparently well taken care of, instead of who-knows-what engine from a junkyard.

Next, There is a comment that, "...you can get a brand new cylinder head real cheap." Yeah, maybe you can get a 'brand new' real piece of junk cylinder head for real cheap. We call them 'beer can heads'. The truth is, we have rebuilt close to 7,000 cylinder heads and many of them report back with 300, 400, 500, even two recently reporting 600k on my rebuilt cylinder head/ engines.

I would guess that you probably have a couple of valves bent and a set of valve guides and seals to replace. The cam and set of lifters will be ruined. The complete head, repaired in our shop is on average $600, including a good cam and lifters, assembled and ready to drop on. The head gasket kit is about $85. The 'standard' (we don't sell a substandard) timing belt kit, including the Dayco timing belt and Hepu water pump, INA rollers and Litens tensioner, Conti Serpentine belt, with mounting bolts is $298. If all our assembly parts are used with our cylinder head, we double our warranty; 2-year, unlimited miles..

We also have a list of professional mechanics with great reputations in the Denver area. Colorado Springs, not as many, but I remember, there are some we work with there, too.

If I can be any further assistance, let me know.

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the quick reply. If you don't mind, I am going to copy your post and hand it to the front desk guy. My engine had been well maintained and ran like a top before it's destruction.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Listen to Frank....he won’t steer you wrong.
He also helped me out with a project car I got.....PO mechanic screwed up TB job, dropped a valve, replaced the head with a used one and then I got the car, ( this was unknown to me at the time I got the car )
It didn’t run right and I was changing the TB as I don’t trust what’s been allegedly done.
I figured that I’d pull the head , worse case is it’s gonna cost me a head gasket and 10 bolts.
Glad I did as I was surprised at what I found......head looked good, no damage, however piston heads 1 and 2 were beat pretty bad.
Did a piston protrusion check and found both 1 and 2 lengths were shorter that 3 and 4.

I contacted frank, we talked and he had me send him all four pistons and connecting rods.
A week later he sent me serviceable replacement pistons for the damaged ones and matched and balanced rods. I also got new rings and con rod bearings and tty bolts from him at a great price.

I cannot say enough about his service and he will take the time to sit and chat with you on any issues with your engine. Just my .02.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thank you, Steve. I appreciate your kind words. We try every day to live up to them.

Just recently, we responded to another situation that was more than likely a combination of events, not entirely the mechanic's fault, but an engine that should have been thoroughly inspected before testing it's limits. I think in that case the turbo puked. Again, bent valves, low mile engine... and the mechanic wouldn't even look under the head, but was going to replace the engine. When removing an engine, it takes very little extra effort to first, check the block, examine the piston protrusion to prove, indeed, if the engine should be replaced.

Also, even if there is a replacement engine proven to be needed, say if the block was scored and all this other damage on top of that... even then, we WILL NOT install a replacement engine without first removing the cylinder head and examining the quality of the block, pistons etc. A lot can be learned about the quality of an engine with the cylinder head off. Right, Steve?

And just like Steve said, he got a POS job done by a slippery mechanic who 'patched one together'. You can't really tell without looking. I call that examination 'cheap insurance'. A set of head bolts and a head gasket... $60.

Once the engine has been disassembled to a certain point with engine removal in mind, I'd go off the path just a little and cylinder head can be removed with little more effort. In this case, even if piston protrusion is off, what I do is a LOT cheaper and less of a gamble than whole engine replacement.

We have methods that are inventive, cost effective and there are some !Eureka! moments. We aren't afraid to experiment and have created some great methods to improve on an engine's life expectancy, power, concentricity, etc. To give an idea what I mean, when we first entered on the scene, there was a claim you couldn't rebuild VW TDI cylinder heads. My answer: "Who Told You THAT?!?" And the rest is history... we continue to expand on that premise.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What he said ^^^^^^

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
+3 - There is no reason not to pull the head. None. You can take pictures of the valves, the head, the pistons and send them to Frank and he'll steer you where you need to go.

Nerdkiller

TDI
98 Beetle TDI
Clarification

I just wanted to clarify my statement of a cheap cylinder head. I did not mean an eBay Chinese cylinder head or unknown rebuilt cylinder head.
I meant a brand new OEM cylinder head. Cheap is a relative term.
What I meant by cheap is relative to buying a new car, replacing the engine, ect.
I agree with Frank 100%
To summarize, a great mechanic actually makes things better instead of making more problems.
Reading Frank’s posts is awesome!!! Frank’s posts actually give hope and make a person think “hey this car can be fixed and could possibly run better than new”

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Andy, I think you mean 'There is no reason to pull the BLOCK.' This is the reason to pull the cylinder head...

Bob and I had a little 'picture/ telephone' meeting.

Bob sent some pictures of the cylinder head. The statement by the mechanic was that there were no valves bent. But the #4 piston had an exhaust valve imprint into the piston. To be blunt, I don't think I've ever seen that imprint like that WITHOUT the valve being bent. I don't think the mechanic is correct on that point. There was also an imprint on #2 exhaust, so I would never put this head back onto the care without pulling the valves and checking the concentricity. The exhaust valves are bi-metal, friction-welded chrome-moly stem onto a inconel valve head. Any strike to the valve can cause the weld point between the dissimilar metals to fracture. Give that cylinder head around 500-2500 miles and the valve head falls off, destroying the cylinder head, piston, rod and sometimes the block. Don't do that. If the valve is bent the slightest, throw it away.

What is worse, the combustion chamber for all pistons, except for #2 have the leading edge of the combustion bowl melted off. That may be one reason the impact with the #8 valve left a relatively deep impression... the piston was soft to the point of melting.

This is an issue of melted pistons we often see from injectors that are either poorly set for flow volume or the age of the injectors has caused them to leak excessive fuel. Unlike a gasoline engine, where underfueling will overheat a cylinder, diesels to the opposite. Excess fueling will melt pistons. Therefore, controlling excess fueling for diesel injectors is a very important issue.

If you take a close look at the #2 piston, there is a radius on the top edge of the combustion bowl that is about a 3/16" radius. The worst melting is in the #3 piston, where the edge of the combustion on the exhaust side I would estimate to have a 3/8" radius, maybe 1/2". The loss of that metal not only weakens the piston, but there is a measurable loss in compression ratio.

In my opinion, the damaged pistons need to be replaced. But more important, the injectors either need to be replaced (They are supposed to be OEM) or repaired. With only 140k, there is something that has interfered with the nozzles longevity. We did not discuss that issue.

If they are original, as Bob thinks they are, I doubt there is much chance to repair. As Bob expects to retain a basically stock vehicle, the Bosch 706 or equivalent should be a perfect replacement, if they are set correctly for flow volume.

There is one other issue from the excessive fueling and heat issue. The cylinder bore, particularly the #3 cylinder, which was worst, have some vertical striping in the bore. The overheated piston was close to seizing. When replacing the pistons, the dimension of the bore should be noted and at very least, the cylinder bores need to be deglazed with a ball hone and re-ringed.

This is a lot of bad news for an engine with only 140k on it.

The last issue is a matter of the oil used. We are no fans of Mobile 1 in any form. Particularly, the 5-40 TDT, as we have seen ring and piston failures in hot climates. This engine's #2 and #3 pistons are showing the prerequisit markings of an engine that came close to seizing We recommened a change in oil brands.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Nerdkiller,

Thank you for the clarification. We know lots of places that sell 'beercan' heads and pistons. We don't like them and won't use them. Agreed, cheap does not always mean 'poor quality', as I think we sell 'reasonably priced' cylinder heads with a long-standing reputation for durability and performance.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Andy, I think you mean 'There is no reason to pull the BLOCK.' This is the reason to pull the cylinder head...

Bob and I had a little 'picture/ telephone' meeting.

Bob sent some pictures of the cylinder head. The statement by the mechanic was that there were no valves bent. But the #4 piston had an exhaust valve imprint into the piston. To be blunt, I don't think I've ever seen that imprint like that WITHOUT the valve being bent. I don't think the mechanic is correct on that point. There was also an imprint on #2 exhaust, so I would never put this head back onto the care without pulling the valves and checking the concentricity. The exhaust valves are bi-metal, friction-welded chrome-moly stem onto a inconel valve head. Any strike to the valve can cause the weld point between the dissimilar metals to fracture. Give that cylinder head around 500-2500 miles and the valve head falls off, destroying the cylinder head, piston, rod and sometimes the block. Don't do that. If the valve is bent the slightest, throw it away.

What is worse, the combustion chamber for all pistons, except for #2 have the leading edge of the combustion bowl melted off. That may be one reason the impact with the #8 valve left a relatively deep impression... the piston was soft to the point of melting.

This is an issue of melted pistons we often see from injectors that are either poorly set for flow volume or the age of the injectors has caused them to leak excessive fuel. Unlike a gasoline engine, where underfueling will overheat a cylinder, diesels to the opposite. Excess fueling will melt pistons. Therefore, controlling excess fueling for diesel injectors is a very important issue.

If you take a close look at the #2 piston, there is a radius on the top edge of the combustion bowl that is about a 3/16" radius. The worst melting is in the #3 piston, where the edge of the combustion on the exhaust side I would estimate to have a 3/8" radius, maybe 1/2". The loss of that metal not only weakens the piston, but there is a measurable loss in compression ratio.

In my opinion, the damaged pistons need to be replaced. But more important, the injectors either need to be replaced (They are supposed to be OEM) or repaired. With only 140k, there is something that has interfered with the nozzles longevity. We did not discuss that issue.

If they are original, as Bob thinks they are, I doubt there is much chance to repair. As Bob expects to retain a basically stock vehicle, the Bosch 706 or equivalent should be a perfect replacement, if they are set correctly for flow volume.

There is one other issue from the excessive fueling and heat issue. The cylinder bore, particularly the #3 cylinder, which was worst, have some vertical striping in the bore. The overheated piston was close to seizing. When replacing the pistons, the dimension of the bore should be noted and at very least, the cylinder bores need to be deglazed with a ball hone and re-ringed.

This is a lot of bad news for an engine with only 140k on it.

The last issue is a matter of the oil used. We are no fans of Mobile 1 in any form. Particularly, the 5-40 TDT, as we have seen ring and piston failures in hot climates. This engine's #2 and #3 pistons are showing the prerequisit markings of an engine that came close to seizing We recommened a change in oil brands.
ok, so what was the cause of the initial failure, that "popping" noise that OP heard while driving?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
... We are no fans of Mobile 1 in any form. Particularly, the 5-40 TDT, as we have seen ring and piston failures in hot climates. ...
Well, my panties just bunched up good.
Silly me for thinking the oil wars were over lol
Heading over to the Fuels and Lubricants forum...:rolleyes:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Standing by for Frank to name his preferred engine oil!
Oh please let's not start this debate

Oil is oil, if it meets the specs for your car, it's good enough. These aren't F1 engines with tiny tolerances

I'm still waiting to find out what the cause of the damage was and if the shop is owning up to their mistake, that's what is more important here

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Oh please let's not start this debate

Oil is oil, if it meets the specs for your car, it's good enough. These aren't F1 engines with tiny tolerances

I'm still waiting to find out what the cause of the damage was and if the shop is owning up to their mistake, that's what is more important here

It was, um, tongue in cheek for those of us who persevered through a decade of oil wars.

Of course, Herm says he missed the good ol days:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5583510&postcount=1

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
13 days later, my car is still in their shop. They did show me the tensioner, which indicated to me that it was installed incorrectly. Because the timing belt kit was one that I provided to them, they are only giving limited liability. If the car is done today, I am taking it to another mechanic on Monday to have the timing belt work checked. If the car is not done today, I am having the car to towed to said mechanic directly.

At this point, I don't have the confidence in this mechanic that I once did. I'm left with the feeling that I should have the TDICLUB's preferred mechanic take off the head and check it and also the pistons and cylinders. Today, when I get my car, I will have spent $2150.00 for the initial TB install, including parts, and now the head work and new tensioner. If the new mechanic find errors in the previous man's work, I could be looking at another $2500.00. A complete engine rebuild would run $6500.00. One could say that putting $4600.00 or more into a relatively clean 19 year old 2dr Golf is money well spent, but when does the concept of diminishing returns kick in. Hail damage or a fender bender could total my car. That car gave me 19 years of great service. Is it time to take what I can get for the car and move on?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Well for starters you shouldn't have paid the guys who screwed up an extra dime considering they partly admitted to boching up the timing belt job, as the "front office guy" will obviously find something to blame so he gets off the hook... But shops have insurance for a reason

Anyways, since you already spent the money, you may aswell continue spending more on it now, otherwise I don't see why you'd spend a couple of grand to then throw the car away, or sell it...

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
Well for starters you shouldn't have paid the guys who screwed up an extra dime considering they partly admitted to boching up the timing belt job, as the "front office guy" will obviously find something to blame so he gets off the hook... But shops have insurance for a reason

Anyways, since you already spent the money, you may aswell continue spending more on it now, otherwise I don't see why you'd spend a couple of grand to then throw the car away, or sell it...

There was never an admission of guilt. Only an inference with a statement that they would give me an employee discount for labor. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most companies will guarantee work done with parts they themselves didn't provide. Anyhow, my emotional attachment to the car would push me toward spending whatever it costs to fix it. Practically speaking, is that the wise choice.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If paid with a credit card I would open a dispute and go from there.

I just find it amazing that if they supplied the parts that they would allegedly repair the car for free, or would they?

If the part is from litens, whether it’s from a 5 And dime store or directly from VW it should not matter.....if it was installed incorrectly....that mattters.....just my .02

Last edited:

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
They did show me the tensioner, which indicated to me that it was installed incorrectly.

I'm left with the feeling that I should have the TDICLUB's preferred mechanic take off the head and check it and also the pistons and cylinders.

and now the head work and new tensioner.
I had to snip out some of your comments and focus on these:

What gave you the indication that the tensioner was installed incorrectly?

Frank06 suggested new valves (and new lifters), a set of pistons, a deglaze, plus checking the protrusion to ensure the rods weren't bent. Did this shop do that? Some issue about over fueling as well due to pistons seeing excessive heat so getting the injectors tested might also be considered.

To me it sounds like failure of some kind was imminent regardless of the botched t-belt install?? So if that's the case and it's set - I'd run it till it starts costing $$ and then go find something else.

Little Jack

Veteran Member
TDI
Without getting into a pissing contest, I did send the same photos to one of our member vendors and they did not show the same concern as did Franko6. Granted, Frank is the seasoned expert and should be given deference, but the alternate view gave me a glimmer of hope. As to the indication of an improperly installed tensioner, one of the metal arms on the back side was severely bent.
With regards to only standing behind parts they sell, that was never stated by the counter man. I believe this is a practice most companies adhere to. I think they did feel bad about what happened and offered a discount on labor. Still, I think the mechanic screwed up. $h-t happens.

I have been using Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 since it's first oil change. One of our esteemed members suggested that oil 19 years ago. It's my fault for not investigating and understanding the importance of 505 spec oil. So, the significant damage to my engine is on me. The timing belt fiasco just uncovered its depth. I am still faced with the same dilemma of either throwing money at it or moving on.

Last edited:

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
From an accounting (cold hearted...) view:

The $2,500 you have now spent is gone. Sunk cost. What you do going forward, you do regardless of the past $$.

Can you reasonably expect to get $2,000 value out of if the car lasts you another year? Value is real and intangible. Intangible for the enjoyment factor, the "I like this car and am used to it" factor and real because you don't have a car payment.

If you can answer yes to the above, then that's what's it's worth spending on it today and tomorrow.

If not, put it together and sell it for what you can get for it.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
There was never an admission of guilt. Only an inference with a statement that they would give me an employee discount for labor. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most companies will guarantee work done with parts they themselves didn't provide. Anyhow, my emotional attachment to the car would push me toward spending whatever it costs to fix it. Practically speaking, is that the wise choice.
Unfortunately, I would have to agree that generally a shop will try to blame it on the parts, especially if not supplied by them...my understanding was that there was an admission of guilt on part of the mechanic, but the front office guy wouldn't admit to it.

Anyways, sticky situation and like someone said, it sounds like that 2500 you spent is a sunk cost...spending that kinda of money to still not have a properly running car, well financially it likely wouldn't make sense to continue dropping more money into it, but the emotional aspect, and just the fact that if you don't fix it now, you may aswell have set 2500 dollars on fire, I guess makes it worth spending another 2 or 3k to get it on the road

Had you not spent the 2.5k, I would've said part ways and start looking for something newer

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
STdoubt, hskrdu and 2.2TDI, I have no problem with dissing an oil that has proven to be a problem. Mobil 1 TDT... It is situation specific, but then there are several 'situations' that have avoidable consequences with our TDI's and if not using a particular oil achieves that result, DON'T USE MOBIL 1! I also have no problem bragging about an oil that has two of my customers over 700,000 miles and one of them with original piston rings and turbo...that is phenomenal. That would be our favorite engine oil, Schaeffer's 9000 5-40 full synthetic. $6.70 qt, made in St Louis, MO.

We do not agree that any oil that meets the spec is good. If that is 'oil wars', let the battle begin...
The 'POP' noise, I don't know. Maybe a boost pipe.

Moving on... It's also complicated to determine exactly what went wrong with the blown timing belt, without a full inspection. I'm not going to speculate any further. I don't really understand what exactly was proven by looking at a destroyed timing belt tensioner. Something sure was done wrong. Btw: If the timing belt kit was 'a good one', there is no reason to change out anything except the tensioner, tensioner stud and timing belt. The rest of the parts, if installed correctly, are fine. In this case, because I don't trust the installer, I'd replace the big roller bolt. All components should be checked to see if they show quality branding.

But I might also mention, the latest mechanic who is applying blame, didn't even see the issue with melted pistons! And at first, he didn't even want to bother to look under the head.

The missed diagnosis for such a blatant issue is a problem to me. Also, a valve strike at speed, I would NEVER trust a valve to be straight, unless it is pulled out the the head and tested against the grinding stone. That is setting yourself up for yet another disaster. That would be over the top... The cam has to be removed and lifters inspected. The head is ok? NO WAY.

Next, I would never expect the pistons with melted edges on the combustion bowl to be reinstalled. They need replaced. We do that job as well and accurately as anyone. Our experience with reviving engines by replacing pistons and rods in balanced sets is extensive.

I do think it's a bit pitiful when you get trapped between 3 mechanics (and I really do not want to become #4...) where the objective seems to be who is the problem and who is the solution. I am not afraid to tell it like it is. Everyone is capable of making a mistake, but I'm seeing too many mistakes in a row.

So, to fix this engine looks like around $2600-$3000 to repair. The business about mechanics not liking to accept 'other peoples parts', I can somewhat understand, but historically, that is not an issue with me or my assemblies.

It's just about coming to the point that replacement engine is starting to look good...maybe.

Oh, and I forgot... your injectors are the reason your pistons are melted. That repair is another $450 for new nozzles and calibration.

Sorry Little Jack. It's not a pretty picture.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I won't get into an oil debate.... I'm not a chemical or materials engineer and do not know enough about this subject to formulate an educated response. To me, if the oil is certified vw 50x and is the correct oil for your car, there is no reason why I wouldn't use it, simple as that... If my engine melts pistons and is determined that the oil is root cause, then one could easily blame the oil manufacturer and get them to compensate for engine repair, but good luck ever proving that, I have personally never heard of a warranty claim for engine oil