Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Browsing through the manual for my SGII I'm wondering are there more than
4 gauge readouts that can be programmed. AKA "level one and two"? If so
how many parameters can be programmed?
Two Things:

The display would be crowded with more than 4 gauges, but if I understand
you, you want page 1 and page 2 with different gauges you could toggle.
That would be nice I agree. However with that said you can customize the
page of course. On the fly pushing one of the four line buttons you can
scroll through the gauges.... It would be nice to not have to scroll through
the whole list to get back to where you want. Also there are some standard
gauges that are N/A. I'd like to delete those from the list. (Anyone know how?)

I found the trip function pretty nice for looking at data. Hit the 5th menu
button (red ring) and go to trip. You have current, yesterday, tank... each
one of those will let you scroll through different parameters it records. I
would love it to record EGT and Boost, but I don't think it will do that.
(Anyone know how to program trip recorded items?)

There are cheaper and more expensive OBDII monitors. The Smartphone
based ones seem cool. The go in air vent ones are also cool but $$$$.

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Installed an OBD II splitter today so I can use my SGII, Automatic plug-in, and still have an available port.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Got my SGII plugged in today. Pretty neat little tool! Reminds me of smart craft gauges on our boat

Thx Veedubtdi for the idea/visual at tdifest!

Bg

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Wouldn't it be nice if VW had this functionality already installed with the car? All the ScanGauge is doing it reading the information that the car already has. No new sensors, just a few more lines of code to allow the data to be displayed to the driver. Instead, we just get an indicator after the problem has occured, not that there might be a problem brewing. I'm an engineer and retired Navy guy, so I like to see data and trends to know how my system is operating, whether it's a submarine, car, motorcycle or computer.
Yes, but it's not a nuke sub... it's a passenger car. The trend for decades
on cars is to get rid of amps/volts, oil pressure and other direct reading
gauges. The "computer" monitors all, alerts you with an "idiot light" and/or
records "fault codes" for later recall. I appreciate what you are saying, but
most people don't need all the data and would not know what to do with it.

It is bad enough people texting and playing with their Sat radio, CD, SD
card, iPod tether... add more information, it would overload them. I do like
having boost, EGT, Volts and water temp (actual not buffered). Do I need
it? No but it's nice to know when a Re-gen is happening.

Shocking to me is NO OIL PRESSURE transducer. There is only oil pressure
SPST switch, binary OK or Low. You cant even read it w/ Scan Gauge II
or even Ross Tech Cable (if anyone knows how let me know). Oil pressure
is one of the most important and basic parameters, can't read it....

Last edited:

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
DEF Fill Indicator via SGII

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I thought this may be best place to post. Several months ago I programmed my SGII to look at DEF fill level and have just been watching it since then. The tank only has three sensors, and each is a discrete point. The first sensor simply indicates there is enough in the tank. The second is the sensor that triggers the 1,500 mile, refill soon warning, and the third triggers the refill now countdown.[FONT=&quot]

Here's the definition[FONT=&quot] for DEF level sensors[/FONT] as defined by SAE:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"REAG_LVL shall indicate nominal reagent tank liquid fill capacity as a percent of maximum. For systems
that have discreet level sensing, e.g. Full (100%, Low (20%) and Empty (0%), REAG_LVL shall indicate the actual level at each discreet point and the average level of the discreet points when operating between
discreet points. In the example above, REAG_LVL would indicate 60% when operating between 100% and
20% and 10% when operating between 20% and 0%. As an option, for systems with discrete level sensors
and urea liquid between two discrete points, REAG_LVL can also be calculated based on urea
consumption."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, and admitting this really does nothing different than the indicators on MFI, for those of you that want to program your SGII to display this, here is the programming:
[FONT=&quot]DEF Tank Level (%)
TXD: 07E00185
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 2008
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: DEF

I [FONT=&quot]top-off my DEF[/FONT] with each oil change, so it typically returns a value of 67%, however, it has once reported a value of 30% when the tanks was low, and once 8% when it triggered the no-start countdown.[/FONT]

I worked with linear logic to try to find a path to [FONT=&quot]calculat[FONT=&quot]ing[/FONT][/FONT] the DEF level using [FONT=&quot]c[/FONT]onsumption, but to this point have been unable to do so. I'll keep tinkering, but I thought I would share.

Cheers,

Aaron[/FONT]

NYTDIBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS; 2013 Passat SE 6SP
Great info to know! I was wondering why when I use my VCDS the readings are always the same! Now I know they aren't an actual percentage reading, just the 3 warning levels!

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I thought this may be best place to post. Several months ago I programmed my SGII to look at DEF fill level and have just been watching it since then. The tank only has three sensors, and each is a discrete point. The first sensor simply indicates there is enough in the tank. The second is the sensor that triggers the 1,500 mile, refill soon warning, and the third triggers the refill now countdown.[FONT=&quot]

Here's the definition[FONT=&quot] for DEF level sensors[/FONT] as defined by SAE:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"REAG_LVL shall indicate nominal reagent tank liquid fill capacity as a percent of maximum. For systems
that have discreet level sensing, e.g. Full (100%, Low (20%) and Empty (0%), REAG_LVL shall indicate the actual level at each discreet point and the average level of the discreet points when operating between
discreet points. In the example above, REAG_LVL would indicate 60% when operating between 100% and
20% and 10% when operating between 20% and 0%. As an option, for systems with discrete level sensors
and urea liquid between two discrete points, REAG_LVL can also be calculated based on urea
consumption."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, and admitting this really does nothing different than the indicators on MFI, for those of you that want to program your SGII to display this, here is the programming:
[FONT=&quot]DEF Tank Level (%)
TXD: 07E00185
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 2008
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: DEF

I [FONT=&quot]top-off my DEF[/FONT] with each oil change, so it typically returns a value of 67%, however, it has once reported a value of 30% when the tanks was low, and once 8% when it triggered the no-start countdown.[/FONT]

I worked with linear logic to try to find a path to [FONT=&quot]calculat[FONT=&quot]ing[/FONT][/FONT] the DEF level using [FONT=&quot]c[/FONT]onsumption, but to this point have been unable to do so. I'll keep tinkering, but I thought I would share.

Cheers,

Aaron[/FONT]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good info, although, as you say, it basically just repeats what the MFI countdown tells you. IMO, it isn't worth taking up a space on the ScanGauge's 4-PID display. :)

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Right! Posted in hopes someone may be able to help me break the code to calc consumption. It would be interesting, in light of the recent emissions issue, to know consumption before (as-is) and after a fix is determined (assuming it would increase DEF application)...

Working with James at linear logic, he had me make a request to the ECU via the gauge.
There appears to be a NOx sensor concentration supported (based on the command response) which I tried out:

NOx Sensor Concentration Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Parts per Thousand)
TXD: 07E00183
RXF: 054146830000
RXD: 3810
MTH: 0001000A0000
NAM: N11

RXD: 4808
MTH: 006400040000
NAM: N12

NOx Sensor Concentration Bank 2 Sensor 1 (Parts per Thousand)
RXF: 032140000000
RXD: 2010
NAM: N21

RXD: 3010
NAM: N22

Unfortunately, I only get a response on N11 when it's in a regen.

Maybe I'm chasing a ghost, but thought it would be interesting...

Cheers,

Aaron

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right! Posted in hopes someone may be able to help me break the code to calc consumption. It would be interesting, in light of the recent emissions issue, to know consumption before (as-is) and after a fix is determined (assuming it would increase DEF application)...

Working with James at linear logic, he had me make a request to the ECU via the gauge.
There appears to be a NOx sensor concentration supported (based on the command response) which I tried out:

NAM: N11

RXD: 4808
MTH: 006400040000
NAM: N12

RXD: 2010
NAM: N21

RXD: 3010
NAM: N22

Unfortunately, I only get a response on N11 when it's in a regen.

Maybe I'm chasing a ghost, but thought it would be interesting...

Cheers,

Aaron
Neat project! You might want to start a new thread in the OBD Scanners section to see if folks there have more information.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
Oil Temp

I was wondering if anyone has come up with the XGauge code for Oil Temperature. The last I saw it mentioned was back in 2014 (with no success). Since then though, the Polar FIS has come out which does read Oil Temperature. Maybe someone has had luck with it since then for the ScanGauge...?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is no oil temperature sensor on 2012 - 2014 TDI Passats, either. Can't display the data without a sensor to read it.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
There is no oil temperature sensor on 2012 - 2014 TDI Passats, either. Can't display the data without a sensor to read it.

Ahh that makes sense, Thank you. I saw it on the Polar FIS product page and thought it applied to the 2012-2014, it must have been a different model or year.
Thanks again for the info

VeeDubTDI

TDI
2015+ have the oil monitoring, and 2012+ Beetle TDIs and Passat VR6s have it, as well.

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I have a Polar FIS+ unit on my 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, and I monitor a parameter labeled as oil temp. I've seen multiple sources say that this car doesn't have an oil temp sensor, but I find that hard to believe after observing the gauge for thousands of miles. It hovers around 235-240F during highway cruising, spikes as high as 250-260F during regen cycles and/or while climbing hills for extended periods. Exactly the behavior I'd expect to see out of an oil temperature sensor.

If the sensor doesn't exist, what am I looking at?

josephpatrickgray

TDI
I had this connected on my 13 TDI and it worked great. I put it on my 06 and the boost and EGT do not work. I tried reprogramming and also entered EGT1-4 earlier in the post and can't get any to work. Water temp, voltage and some other functions do work. Any input appreciated.

Joe

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Your 2006 does not have EGT sensors in the same fields as commonrail engines. I don't even know if 2006s have an EGT sensor at all.

This thread is specifically about the 2012 - 2014 NMS Passats.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
We've gotten a couple questions about how we put EGT on our ScanGauge II, so I'll make a quick post.

I got this information from here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/

Here is the best information to monitor on your Passat...

EGT1 (pre-turbo): This is useful for monitoring warm-up mode and temps going into the turbo. This will change very rapidly as you change the accelerator position.
TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 054106780000
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: EGT

CAT B1S1: This is useful for monitoring regeneration activity. Anything over 900F is a regen.
TXD: 07DF013C
RXF: 0441053C0000
RXD: 2810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: DPF

Boost pressure: This is useful for monitoring boost pressure. You should see 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. You should see a max of 23.0 PSI on a stock tune.
TXD: 07DF0170
RXF: 054186700000
MTH: 00910BB8FF64 (for sea level - you'll need to adjust the last 4 digits if you live at altitude in order to get to 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. Also note that the baseline will change with atmospheric pressure as you change altitude.)
NAM: BST

Water Temperature: This is useful for monitoring actual water temperature
This is a normal gauge - no XGAUGE required, just cycle through the presets.

Personal note: I watch both exhaust temp sensors listed above and wait for both to be below 450F before shutting off the engine.

For information on how to program an X-Gauge, read page 38 on the Owner's Manual here:

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1

Thanks,

-Jason
HI,

I know this is an old post BUT would this X gauge work for a Jetta as well ?

Thanks!

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
You can code a boost x-gauge on a 2003 Jetta - details here.

Simon
Hi,

My scan gauge II came with the boost built in....

I was really hoping for an EGT x gauge.....

Is there any way to program that in or does that sensor not exist in a 2003 Jetta?

Thanks!

Andrew

Shawn67

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Has anyone tried the X-gauges on a 2015 Passat? Same codes?

BTW, if anyone is looking for a deal Autozone has a 20% off coupon for online ship to home orders (through April) and free shipping. I just ordered one from them.

Thanks,

Shawn

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
2015+ have the oil monitoring, and 2012+ Beetle TDIs and Passat VR6s have it, as well.
Do you know the xgauge commands? I can see it in the MFD but would like to have it on the scangauge.

Shawn67

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Has anyone tried the X-gauges on a 2015 Passat? Same codes?
My Scangauge II came today. I programmed the boost x-gauge and first EGT per the initial post in this thread. EGT works fine and responds very quickly when you get into the throttle.

The boost gauge seems to work but gives slightly odd readings. When the engine is off it actually reads around -15psi, at idle it is about .6psi and then when you get into it it will jump up to 23.4psi which should be about right.

Two odd things I've noticed...

1) When cruising it reads about 1psi and when "engine braking" the PSI actually goes up to around 3psi. Not sure what that is, EGR maybe?

2) I think this is actually displaying commanded boost, not measured boost. When you floor it the boost jumps immediately to max even before you feel the turbo kick in.

UPDATE: This was showing commanded boost. Changing RXD to 4810 gave me actual boost and you can clearly see the turbo lag now. After it was showing actual boost I tweaked the MTH number to give me 0.0 with the engine off. I think I changed the last two digits to 75. Basically count in hex for each 0.1 PSI change you want.

Shawn

Last edited: