Running too warm in traffic, or is this normal?

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Commuting home last week in twin cities traffic the car reached about 211 degrees. Mostly stop and go up to about 30 mph. Ambient temp around 75 degrees. AC off.

Car is a 2015 Jetta manual with a kerma tune. No issues that I know of. Just normal temp fluctuations? Normally runs 193-195 in highway driving.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Not normal. Possibly engine fan failed? Check engine fans asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
Before stage 2 + deletes, I regularly saw 210-211 during a long regen. However, non regen temps were usually lower, the max i would see was 204.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Interesting.... I will keep a eye on my 2014. Old 2011 never go past 190 for nearly 300k miles. Stock until 185k then tuned with DPF/EGR delete until almost 300k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Silly question, but have you checked your coolant? Mine along with others, have reported mysterious coolant loss. Dealer said this was normal and to their credit, after topping it off the first time I noticed it, never did it again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Was it just that one day it got up there?

Is it possible you just happened to see the temp when it was in the middle of a DPF regen?

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
Silly question, but have you checked your coolant? Mine along with others, have reported mysterious coolant loss. Dealer said this was normal and to their credit, after topping it off the first time I noticed it, never did it again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I watch the level. Every VW I've owned I've had to add maybe 1 pint per year or so. This one is the same, but yes, it's between the full marks. Don't really know we're it goes.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
Was it just that one day it got up there?

Is it possible you just happened to see the temp when it was in the middle of a DPF regen?
No, it's a relatively ordinary occurrence in non-winter seasons. It's not during a Regen - or the dpf would be reading 900-1200 degrees. Coolant temp is typically 197-201 during a Regen.