Rpm needle wiggles very fast before starting

Cwildred

TDI
1999 Jetta (MK4)
When I start my 99.5 jetta the rpm gauge wiggles very fast almost like twitching. It basically stays on 0 rpm but it just wiggles really fast. This also happens after I turn it off for about 5 seconds. Any ideas?

Here is a link to the you tube short I made so you can see what i mean.

Link

Cwildred

TDI
1999 Jetta (MK4)
When I start my 99.5 jetta the rpm gauge wiggles very fast almost like twitching. It basically stays on 0 rpm but it just wiggles really fast. This also happens after I turn it off for about 5 seconds. Any ideas?

Here is a link to the you tube short I made so you can see what i mean.

Link
Anybody have an idea?

Cwildred

TDI
1999 Jetta (MK4)
How long is it cranking before it starts? My '99.5 doesn't do that, but it is in such good health it starts very quickly.
It takes a while to crank But I think I need a new starter. I just bought it 3 months ago. It's at 307k miles. Runs really strong after it starts.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Measure the battery voltage while starting the engine.
If it drops below 9.6 it could be below the voltage needed for the ECU.
How old is the battery and is it the correct one for the TDI? (not a gas engine battery)

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
You have AC noise on your crank signal wire. If I remember right from my issues the ECU passes crank signal to the cluster iirc.

My tach would do a little bump key on then register crank signal and start at times then not.

My issue was swollen ECU connector seals pushing back enough to make the pin connection garbage.

Removed them had full signal on tach. Signal showed up at connector but not tach. New junkyard seals and it hasn't done it since.

Cwildred

TDI
1999 Jetta (MK4)
Measure the battery voltage while starting the engine.
If it drops below 9.6 it could be below the voltage needed for the ECU.
How old is the battery and is it the correct one for the TDI? (not a gas engine battery)
Battery is new only 3 months old. Yes it is a tdi.

You have AC noise on your crank signal wire. If I remember right from my issues the ECU passes crank signal to the cluster iirc.

My tach would do a little bump key on then register crank signal and start at times then not.

My issue was swollen ECU connector seals pushing back enough to make the pin connection garbage.

Removed them had full signal on tach. Signal showed up at connector but not tach. New junkyard seals and it hasn't done it since.

Sorry im new to wrenching, how can I diagnose this issue? Do I need to get at the ecu under the windshield and look at the connections? I also have a long crank issue I replaced fuel filter, and sending unit and thermo T. So I'm confident it's not fuel related. I'm starting to think it's the starter or something to do with this electrical gremlin in my tach? Please advise.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
Battery is new only 3 months old. Yes it is a tdi.

Sorry im new to wrenching, how can I diagnose this issue? Do I need to get at the ecu under the windshield and look at the connections? I also have a long crank issue I replaced fuel filter, and sending unit and thermo T. So I'm confident it's not fuel related. I'm starting to think it's the starter or something to do with this electrical gremlin in my tach? Please advise.

Tach show starting RPM or not?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
This could just be the gears in the tach getting worn out, and the cluster is struggling to home the servo.

-J