RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
If firmware upgrades in the past have upgraded your units model number in the software, then yeah I would think you'd have to pull the unit to see what the original model number was on the label. Luckily with mine I bought it brand new a month ago so it was an N unit from the factory.

Nov 1st 2014 was my purchase date...

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Anyone install FW 5382 yet? I have a L unit and noticed a pretty decent improvement when I upgraded from FW 5374 to FW 5378. Hoping this next update will be even better!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You REALLY need to stop cross posting. Having multiple conversations about the same thing on multiple sites is counter productive. I wholeheartedly believe that. Having to jump to multiple forums to follow the discussion is just plain annoying!

Like I believe Matt already told you the link the 6XXX firmware thread is for a Euro Spec RNS-510, and will not work on the U.S. Spec units.

Any unit that started with 4369 or higher is one of the SSD based units and can use 5382. I am pretty sure Matt already said that, as have I, but I wanted to put that here just for clarity.

I know of 2 people running 5382 with ZERO issues. I should have a copy in my hand soon, but since I have a non-SSD unit in my car I have no way of testing it personally. I do have access to a car to test on though, and will.

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Cool, yeah I would like to hear from you or someone running #5382 to see how much of an improvement it is. Might just go ahead and buy it though if you know 2 people running it without any issues, if I do I'll write up a short review.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I had a loaner '14 SEL with the 1.8T engine earlier this week. Since its RNS-510 hadn't had its firmware updated, I had a decent comparison with mine (which has the one before 5382). I did notice that mine would boot (radio functional) much faster. And this is immediately loading an HD-2 FM station. Reaching the point the rear camera would show was about the same.

I'm looking forward to trying 5382, as Peter is claiming improved performance. Justs need to get the file. Guess I really need to get the V9 maps as well :)

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I had a loaner '14 SEL with the 1.8T engine earlier this week. Since its RNS-510 hadn't had its firmware updated, I had a decent comparison with mine (which has the one before 5382). I did notice that mine would boot (radio functional) much faster. And this is immediately loading an HD-2 FM station. Reaching the point the rear camera would show was about the same.

I'm looking forward to trying 5382, as Peter is claiming improved performance. Justs need to get the file. Guess I really need to get the V9 maps as well :)

What I want to know is why the hell does VW not know about this firmware update?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Ever since Continental bought out Siemens VDO their communication/support to V.A.G.+consumers has been lower than it once was- so i've heard...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What I want to know is why the hell does VW not know about this firmware update?

VW at some level knows about it, because all the new units leaving the factory will have the firmware, and some are done at the factory, not before they get there.

The problem is them filtering down to the dealers, they just don't plain make it. That is VW's fault, not Continental.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
VW at some level knows about it, because all the new units leaving the factory will have the firmware, and some are done at the factory, not before they get there.

The problem is them filtering down to the dealers, they just don't plain make it. That is VW's fault, not Continental.

I see.... I just figured it would be VW to say, especially on vw.com "Hey yall, firmware update 5382 is available", or something in that nature..

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hey Loki! Thanks again for everything you have been doing on TDIClub! You've helped so many of us with better info than VWoA often can provide...

Quick question: When did Continental switch from spinning hard drive to solid state disk? I saw where a distributor on eBay indicated the J version was SSD.

I have:

Delivery Part Number 3C0035684J
HW-Version H65
SW-Version 4366
Map Version 8112

I thought that my unit was spinning disk, and therefore not helping my backup camera display before I'd backed out and began forward movement as it does most of the time.

Please also update the first post with this information. I'm sure many readers would find it helpful.

Thank you!
Eric

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hey Loki! Thanks again for everything you have been doing on TDIClub! You've helped so many of us with better info than VWoA often can provide...

Quick question: When did Continental switch from spinning hard drive to solid state disk? I saw where a distributor on eBay indicated the J version was SSD.

I have:

Delivery Part Number 3C0035684J

HW-Version H65

SW-Version 4366

Map Version 8112

I thought that my unit was spinning disk, and therefore not helping my backup camera display before I'd backed out and began forward movement as it does most of the time.

Please also update the first post with this information. I'm sure many readers would find it helpful.

Thank you!

Eric

Glad to help.

The short answer is that the original post already has the information, with the exception of the fact that some J units came with both types of drives. Have NO idea why Continental did that, and it really doesn't matter too much.

The easiest way to tell whether your system has a Spinning HDD or SSD is what Firmware you have from the factory. 4366 or before = Spinning, 4369 or after = SSD. If you have a Spinning HD, 4366 is as far as you can go. If you have a SSD you have 4369 or higher, the most current being 5382.

That should clear it up a bit. I will see if I can add a little more clarity to the top.

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Glad to help.

The short answer is that the original post already has the information, with the exception of the fact that some J units came with both types of drives. Have NO idea why Continental did that, and it really doesn't matter too much.

The easiest way to tell whether your system has a Spinning HDD or SSD is what Firmware you have from the factory. 4366 or before = Spinning, 4369 or after = SSD. If you have a Spinning HD, 4366 is as far as you can go. If you have a SSD you have 4369 or higher, the most current being 5382.

That should clear it up a bit. I will see if I can add a little more clarity to the top.
Perfect! I took delivery in March 2013 at my Chicagoland dealer with FW 3696 and Map V5 #7860 - so with your reply I'm sure it's a spinning disk I hear when all else is very quiet... :) After I saw Peter's note on SSD and "Revision J" I was less certain, despite growing up in IT when we used to replace heads and platters on the CDC 600MB "washing machine" size monsters.
Thanks again Lokiwolf!

JedFromAZ

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If someone has the 5382 firmware please PM me so I can get the file. As being a fairly new owner of a '15 Passat TDI SEL, it's so disappointing to have a radio that performs as it does in a $33k vehicle.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
If someone has the 5382 firmware please PM me so I can get the file. As being a fairly new owner of a '15 Passat TDI SEL, it's so disappointing to have a radio that performs as it does in a $33k vehicle.

dude, tell me about it.. I have a 2015 SEL TDI and I feel the same.. Maps to me are out of date straight from the dealer.. the performance is a joke.. I've called the rep at VWoA many times and keep leaving VMs with still not return calls... folks as well as I believe my system is defective but before they rip out and crack open my dash, I'm trying to get a third opinion.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
dude, tell me about it.. I have a 2015 SEL TDI and I feel the same.. Maps to me are out of date straight from the dealer.. the performance is a joke.. I've called the rep at VWoA many times and keep leaving VMs with still not return calls... folks as well as I believe my system is defective but before they rip out and crack open my dash, I'm trying to get a third opinion.

Like I have said more than once. Yours has more issues than most and needs to be replaced.

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
It has nothing to do with the traffic function. The traffic function will only change your route if you allow it.

The issue is in the navigation setup. There is an option in the setup for traffic volume which can be set to Light, Medium or Heavy. The default from the factory is Heavy so it way over estimates the time. Go into the setup and change this to Light or Medium and you will get a more accurate estimate. I have mine set to Light and it is much closer to actual.
Anyone who can help -

Grove, thanks for the advice, I changed the traffic to Light and the times now match reality. Except for 2 issues:
- The nav still comes up with way long travel times and avg speeds from Tonopah, NV to Cedar City, UT (this is a trip I make often). It still shows an average speed of 38-39 MPH even though you can easily average 70 MPH the entire trip across the open Nevada and Utah desert.
- My nav will not pick a shortest distance route through Yosemite. This is 100 miles shorter than options through Lake Tahoe and south via Las Vegas. I could only force this route by using the GIS function by pointing at Yosemite as a stopover. But then it estimates a speed from Yosemite all the way to Cedar City, UT of 39 MPH!

What I am trying to figure out is if this is a defect in the particular nav in my car or if it is a major design problem. The dealer (without checking my issues against another Passat with the same nav) says this is the way the system is designed. I don't believe that any nav is designed with such absurd assumptions as 39 MPH across open highways.

Is there anyone out there from California with the top of the line nav (near the SF Bay Area) that can try a trip to Cedar City, UT with Tonopah, NV as a stopover? Or if not from CA try enter a trip to Cedar City with Tonopah as a stopover and let me know what average speed you get to see if my nav is defective or the nav has a major design defect that I need to escalate with the nav manufacturer?

I would like to be armed with the above results before I go back to the dealer as they are trying to blow me off.

Also, does anyone know who makes the nav and how to contact them directly?

Much appreciated,
Rick

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
You might want to double check your nav setup. There is an option to pick shortest route or quickest time, just make sure which is checked.

As far as the travel time on your one route, it could be because of the roads. The system determines the time by what it thinks the average speed is for a given type of road (highway vs interstate vs something else) I don't remember if there is any way to override this or not. My guess is the system believes the types of roads you will travel on will only allow for a 40 mph or so speed.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
The new RNS in my friends 15 Jetta is sweet, looking at the opening it doesn't appear to be a way to put on into the NMS at this point

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I thought the Jetta was still using the old style radios. Are you referring to the 2015 Golf? That certainly appears to be a new radio.

Rick_Brown

TDI
You might want to double check your nav setup. There is an option to pick shortest route or quickest time, just make sure which is checked.

As far as the travel time on your one route, it could be because of the roads. The system determines the time by what it thinks the average speed is for a given type of road (highway vs interstate vs something else) I don't remember if there is any way to override this or not. My guess is the system believes the types of roads you will travel on will only allow for a 40 mph or so speed.
I cannot get the nav to go through Yosemite no matter what route mode I pick (shortest, quickest, most economic).

The roads are paved, US-6 plus state highways, straight roads across the open desert. No traffic, there are more cows than cars. Speed limit is 70 MPH. Google maps shows an average speed of 60 MPH. Averaging under 40 MPH is ridiculous. Something is either wrong with my unit or their is a big design flaw.

Rick_Brown

TDI
Passat RNS 510 Navigation Errors - Test

Does someone have an RNS 510 Nav system in a 2014 Passat TDI SEL and is willing to enter in some destinations so I can determine if my nav is defective or if there is a serious design flaw?

Test 1 - Enter in a destination to Cedar City, Utah with a stopover in Tonopah, Nevada and tell me the average speed your unit comes up with between these 2 locations? Make sure the unit is set on light traffic.
Mine shows an average speed of only 39 MPH even though the trip is on open desert highways with 70 MPH speed limits and no traffic.

Test 2 - If you live in or near the San Francisco Bay Area see if the unit will pick a route to Tonopah, NV and Cedar City, UT through Yosemite National Park. This is about 100 miles shorter than the routes my system picks. My Passat refuses to show this route. My friend's Golf picks this route as an option as does my Ford Focus.

My dealer is not wanting to admit there is a problem and I'd like to have some info when I get back to him.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick_Brown

TDI
Contact for Passat RNS 510 Nav System

Does anyone know who a good technical contact is on the Passat RNS 510 nav system? The VW dealer is not helping me with my nav problems (see my other posts). I expect a company supplies the nav system to VW and I could talk directly with them about my problems.

Thanks,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.