Rising oil level

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Since my 20k service I have noticed that my oil level has risen about 1/8" (3mm) over about 6k miles (9660km). I fuel weekly and check my oil level after I complete fueling, engine is warm.

I am not completely alarmed yet, however I did make my dealer note my concern in my file while I was having the fuel line recall performed.

Has anyone else noticed rising oil levels on their CR TDI? Has anyone had this issue and had it repaired? If so, what was the problem/fix?

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
first the obvious question. are you sure you are on level ground when checking oil?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I'm with Maxwell on this one as well.

I always check in my garage - very level. I went on a long trip and noticed it was down to where it should be, guessing moisture buildup (primarily city driving) and fuel (from regens) was getting in oil and had evaporated after the long drive. A couple weeks later it was above the full line again by about 1/8th of an inch. I also have about 6500 miles on mine- and check my oil either before or after fueling with warm engine (in garage after sitting for five minutes or so) and it hasn't gotten any higher than 1/8" above the full mark.

I am not too worried about it - I could get an oil analysis done to see how much dilution of the oil has occurred - issue being only running B5 - but that is withing VW spec so again, not fretting about it.

Interested in hearing others thoughts about this.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I'm checking it on flat surfaces. It doesn't appear to be coolant as there is no signs of milky sludge and the coolant level has remained constant. I am assuming it is fuel contamination. I did not notice oil level variations from new - 10k miles nor from 10k - 20k miles.

My plan is to keep an eye on it, if it gets much above the full mark I'll take it in and press the issue.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
If you are using a biosiesel blend you might want to check out some of the fuel threads. Analysis has shown that biosiesel dosn't vaporize fully during the CR engine's regen cycle (due to its higher flashpoint 266 F vs 147 F for Petrodiesel) and that some of it ends up in the crankcase. I would think that this could be even more prevalent during the winter months. Supposedly, full bio can end up diluting the crankcase up to 50% over the course of 10,000 miles. Not a good thing and another reason (besides the DPF) that VW doesn't yet endorse blends over 7% or so to be used.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been running bio at ~2%. Recently I have lowered the mix to 1%. I will be out of bio soon so we'll see if that stops the rise.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
FYI I've run B5 from a station pump for 90% durring an oil change and my oil level never increased.

How long are your commutes?

With regens, regular D2 will end up in the oil but D2 evaporates easier than Bio. So if you're only doing around town stuff for the majority of the life of the oil, that D2 maystill be there. A nice long run at 70 might be in order see if you can "burn" out your oil.

The only way to know 100% is doing a UOA, that it's fuel thats cutting your oil.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I am in outside sales so I burn a tank per week (500-600 miles). Some of it is in town some is highway. I am usually driving long enough to be up to full operating temp before shut down though.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
Can't imagine 2%, or even 5 or 10% is a problem. I think that 20% plus is where they've seen measurable effects over the 10,000 miles and I'm sure, even then, it depends in driving style and other variables. Because of the increasing use of bio-blends, I'm sure VW and Bosch are testing right now, especially as it pertains to crankcase oil dilution and DPF particulate clogging.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just get a UOA done and start form there.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked with the shop foreman at my dealer today. He spoke with a regional guy who had no answer for him. I told him that I would keep an eye on it and if it got worse (above full) I would be back and expect VW to provide a UOA and diagnose the problem.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I talked with the shop foreman at my dealer today. He spoke with a regional guy who had no answer for him. I told him that I would keep an eye on it and if it got worse (above full) I would be back and expect VW to provide a UOA and diagnose the problem.

You get UOA, done at Blackstone for 25 bucks.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were out of warranty I would get my own UOA. Since it is still under warranty it is their problem to fix.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Nick, by doing this you are putting your trust in the dealer doing the right thing and being honest with you. Maybe you have a grrrreat relationship with them and you can trust them. I hope that is the case, but many folks here don't trust their dealer.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
If I were out of warranty I would get my own UOA. Since it is still under warranty it is their problem to fix.

Then why bother to check the oil:rolleyes:

MonsterTDI09

TDI
You rely on your car for work?This test will show if you have a problem .Like a leaking injector for example.The dealer doesn't really want to prevent break down,there is no money in it for them.They want to see the car on the hook.They are just telling you want you want to here.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand your point. The problem is, you know and I know that VW will not take any action based on my UOA. I am documenting the issue and have confidence that my dealer will help me out if it becomes a big enough issue. I may still pull my own sample if they don't or can't.

The main reason I started this thread was to see if anyone had encountered this issue with a CR and what the outcome was.

Lastly don't take me the wrong way as I DO appreciate your input. It's just at this point I want my dealer / VW to take their responsibility on and diagnose this issue.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I understand your point. The problem is, you know and I know that VW will not take any action based on my UOA. I am documenting the issue and have confidence that my dealer will help me out if it becomes a big enough issue. I may still pull my own sample if they don't or can't.

[snip]
Maybe, maybe not; that remains to be seen. But it is evidence and would yield meaningful and probably conclusive data for a small cost and minimal time that would let you know if your dealer is in fact as good as you think they are.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDI

The main reason I started this thread was to see if anyone had encountered this issue with a CR and what the outcome was.

Lastly don't take me the wrong way as I DO appreciate your input. It's just at this point I want my dealer / VW to take their responsibility on and diagnose this issue.

I do understand your point,that you want the dealer and V/W to diagnose the issue.Just don't forget that VW puts there dealers techs in a small box.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
rising oil level may be due to not all oil removed during last oil change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
but checking the first time after oil change then checking again 2K miles later shouldn't be any different.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
rising oil level may be due to not all oil removed during last oil change.
I check my oil every week when I fuel up. The first check after my last oil change showed the oil about 1/8 inch below the top of the hash marks. Is has risen ever so slowly to the top of the hash marks over about 6000 miles since then.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. It's highly unlikely that you're getting fuel contamination. Does the oil smell strange?

An 1/8" on the dipstick could easily fall into the "margin of error" of the oil-checking process. Do you use a stopwatch each time you check the oil? Maybe the first time you checked it after the last change, you had only waited 3 minutes, and each consecutive time it's been 4 minutes or later.

scooterboy67

TDI
passat 1.9tdi b5.5 pd130
Im running a VW Passat B5.5 1.9TDI PD 130 AVF engine
Help guys Oil contaminated with Diesel
As some of you may know I blew my turbo a couple of weeks ago
When I drained the oil it seemed to be realy thin (i Had only recently changed the oil & filters) unfortunately i drained it into a dirty oil pan with oil from another car in it so I couldnt be sure if it was contaminated)
I have now rebuilt the turbo and changed the oil & filter again.
the car has been on the road for a week now and the Oil level is definately rising it has come up about an inch on the dipstick since last wedensday.
I think I am getting diesel in the oil !
question 1. how could this be happening?
I am just about to start reading up on the fuel system & would like some pionters on where to start
the car will be off the road until i can find the cause as i cant afford to risk a new turbo
I am thinking it could be the tandem pump or the pd injectors

Last edited:

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
Scooter, it would be best if you started your own thread.

Nick, you might want to keep all of your fuel receipts to protect yourself in case VW won't honor the warranty because of "improper fuel" being used.

Does your oil smell like fuel?

Obviously you have your position on not paying for an oil analysis, but if your oil is being diluted, you might be causing excessive wear that won't be covered under warranty unless it's outside of their liberal idea of spec.

I would think that you would be able to convice VW to act on the results of an oil analysis if there were evidence of a failure.