Replacing (custom) oil feed line to turbo, advice please

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
My '96 B4V TDI needs a new oil feed line to the turbo. When I pulled the banjo connector bolt that connects the tube to the top right side of the engine, I noticed that it is hollow and has two openings at the top (of the bolt) I would think it is important that one of those openings lines up with the oil feed tube that runs to the turbo.

However...there is no mark, no arrow on the top of the bolt. That made me wonder if the inside of the banjo connector is recessed and the oil will get to the tube regardless of the direction the opening faces.

I plan to file marks on the top of the banjo connector bolt and align one of the holes with the tube connection anyway, but I wondered if, in fact, it wasn't necessary. Anyone ever work on this?

Jim

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It's not necessary since it's a banjo fitting. The bolt is smaller in diameter than the fitting, which is what allows the oil to pass through. No orientation necessary and the copper gaskets seal it.

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Hey, did you ever find any VW front door handles for B4's? The ones you sent for the back are great.

Jim

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
Any need to be concerned that the new 14" inch return line to the turbo will be dry for a second or so when I start up the first time?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
If you want to make sure the turbo gets oiled up on your first startup you can just pull the wire off the fuel shutoff solenoid and crank the engine for about 45 seconds. The oil pump should completely fill the line in that time.

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be great. I'd like to do that. Is there a resource on the site where I could find the fuel shutoff solenoid?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Guessing you found this by now, but it's a single spade connector on the top of the injection pump, right above the high pressure lines going to the injectors.