replacement CV boots

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
due to a required replacement of a CV boot on my Golf, i wanted to see if and what the situation was on our jetta, (2015 tdi, DSG), from VW's parts website the boot isn't available separately. Has anyone encountered this and is this the real scope?

thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It depends. In some cases, because the inner tripod joint housing is peened around the three bearings, you cannot slide the joint off the shaft to replace the CV boot. So yeah, sometimes you just need to buy the whole shaft as an assembly.

In some cases, the aftermarket will have a boot available, but you would have to figure out how to get the shaft apart to actually replace it. And in some cases, you can take the outer joint off, and slide the inner joint replacement boot down the shaft from the other end without the need to even remove the inner joint.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
i can find inner cv boot kits, my issue is the out cv boots, over the million miles i have driven, i have usually failed the outer boot. so i am wondering what one does if the outer boot fails?