Repeating P2002 Code post-fix '11 JSW

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Hoping someone has some advice or solutions for me as I am getting P2002 codes over and over again. Here's a little rundown of my car's history:

Purchased car September 2020 with 94k miles.

September 2020:
Scanned for codes and found P2002 code (no CEL on at this point). Dealership test drove vehicle and monitored thermostat, found it did not open within required time. Dealership inspected EGR filter and DPF and found soot in EGR filter and DPF. Dealership replaced coolant thermostat, DPF, and EGR filters.

February 3rd, 2021:
CEL on, scanned codes and found P2002 code. Dealership says charge air cooler needs to be replaced, and orders parts. (Not sure how they come to this conclusion, but they say the intercooler was restricted). Parts take 1-2 weeks to come in, and in the meantime we have a major snowstorm in Portland. Car was driving fine during cold days, then when weather warmed up the car wouldn't start. I forced a start (didn't recognize how risky this was, as I hadn't learned of the intercooler moisture issues until later) and car started up but ran rough until it warmed up. I take the car back into the dealership, and they replace the charge air cooler and install the cold weather kit (TSB 2025464).

March 2nd, 2021:
CEL on again. Scanned codes and found P2002 code. Dealership chats with VW Helpline for a couple days, filling out DPF check sheet, measuring values and basic settings. Performed charge air systemm pressure test using VAG 1678, no leaks found. VW helpline advises dealership to replace MAF sensor, which they do.

March 14th, 2021.
CEL on again. P2002 code. I have not scheduled another service appointment yet.

I'm at a bit of a loss here and not sure what to do. Thankfully all of this service has been covered by warranty, but that warranty expires 01/01/2022 and I'm afraid these issues will keep happening. Do I have negotiation options or anything I can do to protect myself here? I've never had any car spend so much time in the shop, and it seems like they have no clue what is wrong either. I feel like they'll keep throwing parts at it and ill be SOL as soon as the warranty expires. It seems these cars are not capable of handling the post-emissions "fix" and I'm terrified that I've made a horrible purchase that will haunt me. If anyone has advice for me, I'll take whatever you've got.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Im very curious as to how they fonud the injector seals leaking. I've never really seen injectors leak on CJAA's. If they were, there would be faults followed by it like Torque difference on a cylinder. Have they provided any pictures or anything for you to see?

TDI
Im very curious as to how they fonud the injector seals leaking. I've never really seen injectors leak on CJAA's. If they were, there would be faults followed by it like Torque difference on a cylinder. Have they provided any pictures or anything for you to see?
Nope, they haven't provided anything yet. I also don't understand why injector seals leaking would fire P2002 codes and nothing else.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I would think for sure that they would throw Torque difference faults for cylinders that its leaking on. They are picky and I would assume that if it was getting too much/too little, that a fault would follow due to difference in the cylinder. Honestly, the only fuel thing that would trigger a P2002 code would be too MUCH sulfur in the fuel clogging the DPF. But thats like a really rare thing to happen.

Almagne

TDI
2015 Gray Jetta. 2014 Black Jetta. 2006.5 Gray Jetta--retired.
My Jetta has thrown the P2002 code about four times in the past two weeks. The car was purchased in February, so I do not know much history other than it received it's Diesel-gate fix in the fall of 2020. It is a different engine than the JSW but the probably the same exhaust system.

Just found a long thread on the issue:

A few minutes ago I took a paper towl and touched the inside top of the exhaust pipes; they were sooty. That is supposed to be the sign of a cracked DPF. So I'll have to take it to the dealer when it throws the code again.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
My Jetta has thrown the P2002 code about four times in the past two weeks. The car was purchased in February, so I do not know much history other than it received it's Diesel-gate fix in the fall of 2020. It is a different engine than the JSW but the probably the same exhaust system.

Just found a long thread on the issue:

A few minutes ago I took a paper towl and touched the inside top of the exhaust pipes; they were sooty. That is supposed to be the sign of a cracked DPF. So I'll have to take it to the dealer when it throws the code again.
I believe any diesel 2010-2014 when it comes to Jetta/Golf/Wagons/Beetle are CJAA engines. I know the passats are CKRA which are trash.

TDI
I would think for sure that they would throw Torque difference faults for cylinders that its leaking on. They are picky and I would assume that if it was getting too much/too little, that a fault would follow due to difference in the cylinder. Honestly, the only fuel thing that would trigger a P2002 code would be too MUCH sulfur in the fuel clogging the DPF. But thats like a really rare thing to happen.

Another update, the dealership stated that they found an air leak in the injector seal o-rings but no fuel leak (???) so didn't provide any pictures. I told them I was pretty unsatisfied with their assessment, especially given that their previous assessment (just two weeks prior) stated they also pressure tested the charge air system and that there were no leaks.

So here we are again, two weeks later and the P2002 code is back (immediately following the first DPF regen cycle). I've got another appointment scheduled for this coming Wednesday 4/21. I opened a case with VW Care when I brought the car in for the last service appointment, and reached back out to them to let them know how unhappy I am with this entire situation. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
If the O-Ring is leaking, everything is getting passed that seal. I dont understand how they came up with the idea of its just air and not fuel. As if the fuel knows not to go pass that. :rolleyes: It honestly seems like they are just guessing at this point and trying to keep you "happy" by saying oh its this part or this part etc.. I've seen it happen. Hopefully with a case open with VW Care, that theres pressure on them to fix this problem.

An air leak could very well cause that fault but it would have to be in the charge system, not a "air leak" in an injector. A common spot for an air leak to be on these is the charge pipe on the driver side of the engine at the bottom where the intercooler. They are known to rip and leak. Not sure if they checked that but if there is alot of people at that seal on the pipe, that could be a "leak".